Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to join the club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy folks! After literally a month of calling three times a week, the dealership selling my top choice roadster in Europe finally attempted extracting the logs. These are the instructions I sent them:

The information is retrieved via a cabin USB port. In the Roadster, it’s under the center console HVAC controls, just above the 12V power socket as shown on the right.
To extract the log file, you’ll need a USB thumb drive. It has to be 50MB to 4 GB, and formatted to FAT32. In the root, there must be a directory named VehicleLogs.​
Your instructions look good. FAT16 also works. The TESLA-branded 1GB thumb drive I was given shortly after I got my car in 2008 has worked flawlessly for monthly log dumps since then.
I followed the instructions and used a brand new FAT32 USB stick.
Unfortunately, nothing happened. I tried with the ignition on and off.
This car has an Alpine headunit with a iphone connector between the seats. I don't know if this is the reason for it to not work.​

I confirmed they had a folder named VehicleLogs in the drive.

Any ideas on what might be going on and how to extract the logs?
The Alpine unit is not a factor. I have seen some reports here on TMC where the log dump just didn't work and a VMS reboot was required. That requires unplugging the cables attached to the VMS module, which is not an activity I would expect a dealership (not a TESLA Service Center) to be willing to undertake.

Howdy folks! After literally a month of calling three times a week, the dealership selling my top choice roadster in Europe finally attempted extracting the logs. These are the instructions I sent them:

The information is retrieved via a cabin USB port. In the Roadster, it’s under the center console HVAC controls, just above the 12V power socket as shown on the right.
To extract the log file, you’ll need a USB thumb drive. It has to be 50MB to 4 GB, and formatted to FAT32. In the root, there must be a directory named VehicleLogs.
After a few seconds, the car should beep and the touchscreen will display a message letting you know it's copying the log file to the drive and that you shouldn't unplug it until it's done. It'll take about 15 minutes to complete the download.
Inside the VehicleLogs directory on your USB drive, you'll find a directory named with your VIN. Inside that directory, you'll find the log file(s) you've downloaded named with the date and time of the download (it'll likely be off by a few hours from your local time as it uses UTC).​

and this was what they got:

I followed the instructions and used a brand new FAT32 USB stick.
Unfortunately, nothing happened. I tried with the ignition on and off.
This car has an Alpine headunit with a iphone connector between the seats. I don't know if this is the reason for it to not work.​

I confirmed they had a folder named VehicleLogs in the drive.

Any ideas on what might be going on and how to extract the logs? The interior looks as so. And the iphone cable he mentions is the standard iPod cable.

070_1549499728.jpg
As Steve says, the instructions look fine, but I'm wondering if they followed the part about which USB connector to plug the USB stick into. Isn't there a USB port on the Alpine, too? (I don't have one.)

Failing that, the picture shows the car needs to be "disarmed". Perhaps that's preventing the USB access? I doubt it, but the next step being the VMS reboot is something I wouldn't suggest to a non-Tesla shop, it's worth making sure the car is unlocked. Also that it is not actively charging. Being plugged in is fine, just not charging at the time.

Any ideas on what might be going on and how to extract the logs? The interior looks as so. And the iphone cable he mentions is the standard iPod cable.

I would suggest confirming:
  • The USB stick is low capacity (max 4GB)
  • The USB port used is the one in the center console, in the dark area low down behind and below the VDS
The car should be ignition-off. If correct, within a second or so of plugging in the USB the VDS should beep and a log download message will appear. The data field in the message will count up (in hexadecimal) from 00000000 to 00000064 (100%), then the message will clear and the USB stick can be removed.

Regards, Mark.

Alright! Happy New Year to everyone... it's been a while!

After months of calling, emails, text messages, and pestering the seller, I finally got some logs for the roadster I've been eyeing! But it looks like they tried removing the VIN number and expanded the .tar file. I've tried the Idleloop's VMSParser but it comes back with nothing - I tried re-taring the stuff, but i'm not sure if the whole package had the right strcture - there is a large vms_log file that's about 8mb, so I have some hope. Wondering if anyone here has experience with potentially mangled log .tar's that would be willing to lend a hand to a hopeful roadster owner. Attached is a picture of the current folder structure. I received the logs.rar which seems like it had been re-compressed. Trying to extract some info like battery_data or daily_history resulted in VMSPArser just hanging and empty files. Let me know what info I can provide to get more help

upload_2021-1-30_2-55-24.png

In my own parser, the only file that I care about from the tar file is the big vms_log file. Because it is a binary file it would be harder to remove the VIN from it.

The vms_log file should be outside of the flash folder:

> tar tf 202101011924.tar
vms_log
flash/
flash/soh_log.raw
flash/rms.log
flash/soh_debug.txt
flash/vms.cfg.enc
flash/soh_log.raw.old
flash/soh_debug.txt.bak
flash/chargeLocs2.cfg.enc
flash/messages
flash/whpm.log
flash/ahr.log
flash/vt.dat
flash/user.cfg.enc
flash/log_offsets
flash/firmware.rc

Ok, trying it out... How long should it take to execute the following:

$ VMSParser logs/vms_log
I tried the same operation and it does not produce any output other than the header lines. But when I created a tar file containing just the vms_log file and fed that tar file to VMSParser it produced the expected output.

tar cf test.tar vms_log
VMSParser test.tar

Got in touch with Tom from IdleLoop and he fixed the bug that was preventing me from parsing the logs, thanks Tom! What an incredible community this is!

Ok, we got a VIN starting by
SFZRE2B12B3000***
Is it possible to tell the exact model?

from the logs, the last values recorded:
range soc = 80%,
brick min 139.325Ah
brick ave 141.890Ah
CAC 139.63 Ah

How does that sound for a battery that was replaced in 2019?

Looking forward to any pointers!

With that much of the VIN you can limit the number of cars to
SFZRE2B12B3000493 Germany - Black
SFZRE2B12B3000526 Norway - Orange
SFZRE2B12B3000574 Norway - Black
SFZRE2B12B3000784 Denmark - White

I charge in Range mode a lot so I regularly see 355-365 km depending on weather. obviously the lower range right now as I have no garage and its been -5 C here. (lithium 12v still working fine) On the US side I expect to see 220 miles in range and 170 in normal but conservative driving can push that to 180 miles

A CAC of 139.63 is a bit better than my car's original battery now (136.9), after 11 years and 54k miles. So, the battery might have been replaced 2 years ago, but it wasn't replaced with a new one. It's not a "bad" battery, just not a 2 year old one.

A Standard Mode charge for me comes in at about 159 miles, +/- depending on season. I haven't range charged in a few years, but last time I did it was about 212 miles. I expect it's down to about 200 now.