Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to join the Tesla community and have a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, i'm considering buying my very first Tesla and hoping some of you experienced owners can help make the decision final. I'm looking to get a used Model S.and have been spending quite a bit of time on Tesla.com browsing their used vehicles. I'm basically looking for info on battery differences and ranges. I see some 90D's with 0-60 in 5.4 secs and 265 mile range and some 90D's do 0-60 in 4.2 with a range of 294 miles. Both seems to be same battery and drivetrain yet one is faster and has an additional 30 miles range. Then there's the 85 that seems to offer the same 0-60 5.4 secs and 265 mile range as the 90D. Can someone explain to me how they are either the same with different performances or different with the same performances? Its a bit confusing and makes it a bit difficult to decide which model to purchase. Any inside is greatly appreciated.

Welcome and your making a great decision to join the Tesla owners club, I’m new myself, but can say it is the best car buying decision I’ve ever made!

I can’t speak for Tesla.com data or what your seeing on the data discrepancies, but I have seen wrong information before on their website and errors so don’t hold those stats as official #s.

For 0-60, lots of other resource online
Tesla 0-60 Times & Tesla Quarter Mile Times | Tesla Roadster, Model S P85, Model X & more Electric Car 0 to 60 stats!

Battery range should be pretty easy to research and it should be consistent across each battery size.

If you are serious about your hunt for the right vehicle, use ev-cpo.com , it’s a great resource and way to track vehicles and prices.
EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings

There are also a ton of threads discussing the used / CPO market right now, so read up and enjoy the learning and process. Lots of folks on this forum are here to help.

Last edited:
You should consider buying a Model 3 instead of a used Model S because of the following reasons:

1. You get more range with 3 than S if we exclude the 100 kWh S versions. See the range table below.

2. You will get $7,500 federal tax credits if you take delivery by the end of the year. Tesla has Model 3 inventory waiting for instant deliveries. See Elon's tweet here yesterday. If the Model 3 can't be delivered this year, you get a full refund.

3. You get $2,500 California state rebate. See the details here: Electric Vehicle Incentives That's $10K off of a new Model 3 compared to a used Model S. You get none of the $10K if you buy used.

4. Don't buy AP1.0. You won't experience any of the upcoming and exciting software updates in 2019. Also, you will be stuck with the old hardware and won't be able to upgrade. You would need to buy a Model S with AP2.0 or AP2.5 produced after 16 Oct 2016 to be able to upgrade to AP3.0. That means you would pay too much for a used car and even then some of the other technology is still not as advanced as the Model 3. See details here.
  • Autopilot 1.0 hardware was released on 19 Sep 2014. The software development for AP1.0 is complete except cosmetic improvements.
  • AP2.0 hardware was released on 16 Oct 2016. It has 8 cameras and a more powerful computer.
  • AP2.5 hardware was released on 14 Mar 2018. Again it has 8 cameras but it has a liquid cooled and more powerful computer instead of air cooled and slower computer. Also, the range of the ultrasonic sensors have improved.
  • AP3.0 will be released in early 2019. It will have a 10x more powerful computer compared to AP2.5. Fully-Self-Driving will only work with AP3.0. Tesla owners who have already purchased the FSD option will get a free hardware upgrade from AP2.0 or AP2.5 to AP3.0. Other owners who have AP2.0 or AP2.5 will have the option to upgrade to AP3.0. AP 3.0 is expected to be released either in January or April 2019. See the reason here why Jan or Apr.
5. Model 3 is likely to support Supercharger V3 but the S is not. See my tweet here.

6. It costs less to charge the Model 3. Pick two Teslas here and compare. Look at the kWh number per 100 miles. These are electric meter consumption numbers. The difference will compensate for free supercharging.

7. The touchscreen will be slower in older Model S. Tesla upgraded the touchscreen of S/X to Model 3 quality on 14 March 2018.

8. The 90 kWh pack has heavy degradation issues. See this thread. Normally, battery degradation in Tesla cars looks like this.

If you need maximum range but don't need AWD, Tesla might still have some Model 3 LR in stock. Visit a store.

VwRP8ld.gif

In the future, the latest version of this table can be found here: Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Last edited:
You should consider buying a Model 3 instead of a used Model S because of the following reasons:

1. You get more range with 3 than S if we exclude the 100 kWh S versions. See the range table below.

2. You will get $7,500 federal tax credits if you take delivery by the end of the year. Tesla has Model 3 inventory waiting for instant deliveries. See Elon's tweet here yesterday. If the Model 3 can't be delivered this year, you get a full refund.

3. You get $2,500 California state rebate. See the details here: Electric Vehicle Incentives That's $10K off of a new Model 3 compared to a used Model S. You get none of the $10K if you buy used.

4. Don't buy AP1.0. You won't experience any of the upcoming and exciting software updates in 2019. Also, you will be stuck with the old hardware and won't be able to upgrade. You would need to buy a Model S with AP2.0 or AP2.5 produced after 16 Oct 2016 to be able to upgrade to AP3.0. That means you would pay too much for a used car and even then some of the other technology is still not as advanced as the Model 3. See details here.
  • Autopilot 1.0 hardware was released on 19 Sep 2014. The software development for AP1.0 is complete except cosmetic improvements.
  • AP2.0 hardware was released on 16 Oct 2016. It has 8 cameras and a more powerful computer.
  • AP2.5 hardware was released on 14 Mar 2018. Again it has 8 cameras but it has a liquid cooled and more powerful computer instead of air cooled and slower computer. Also, the range of the ultrasonic sensors have improved.
  • AP3.0 will be released in early 2019. It will have a 10x more powerful computer compared to AP2.5. Fully-Self-Driving will only work with AP3.0. Tesla owners who have already purchased the FSD option will get a free hardware upgrade from AP2.0 or AP2.5 to AP3.0. Other owners who have AP2.0 or AP2.5 will have the option to upgrade to AP3.0. AP 3.0 is expected to be released either in January or April 2019. See the reason here why Jan or Apr.
5. Model 3 is likely to support Supercharger V3 but the S is not. See my tweet here.

6. It costs less to charge the Model 3. Pick two Teslas here and compare. Look at the kWh number per 100 miles. These are electric meter consumption numbers. The difference will compensate for free supercharging.

7. The touchscreen will be slower in older Model S. Tesla upgraded the touchscreen of S/X to Model 3 quality on 14 March 2018.

8. The 90 kWh pack has heavy degradation issues. See this thread. Normally, battery degradation in Tesla cars looks like this.

If you need maximum range but don't need AWD, Tesla might still have some Model 3 LR in stock. Visit a store.

VwRP8ld.gif

In the future, the latest version of this table can be found here: Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Troy, you are correct on all accounts except for the fact that an older AP1 car will have free super charging so if they plan to travel long distances, it may be worth it going that route. I definitely appreciated the free super charging, and there is nothing in AP2 or 2.5 that I would even use today. AP1 is more than enough advance drivers aid than I will ever need. The cost for an AP1 85 is below 45k today so might be worth it.

Check out the CPO site it is the best place to start looking:
EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings

Welcome to the TMC community!

All of the above is good general information, but to help you narrow down your options, what is your price range/budget, and what are your must have features? Seating or cargo capacity? Range? Performance, etc.

Ideally I'd stay under $60k including all fees which would make the price of the car about $55k. The car will be for my wife and really the only option she really cares for is the pano roof. Definitely an S as we are a family of 5 and while we probably won't road trip much with it(we'd use my gas guzzling Tundra) we will be doing most local cutting in it. I would like for it to have a range of at least 250 miles and autopilot. Performance wise I would like for it to be one of the quicker models as I am getting rid of my tuned E63 AMG which is a monster so until I get another toy(probably a year or so and it might even be the upcoming Tesla Roadster) I'd like to have a nicely powered car in the family. Other than the mentioned i'm open to other options but none are really a necessity.

Now, excuse me for the silly question but can anyone explain what all the different AP's are? I have no clue what AP stands for.

AP stands for Autopilot.

The Model 3 has 1.5" more headroom in the front and 2.4" more in the rear seats than the Model S.

Model 3 headroom:
Front= 40.3”,
Rear = 37.7”(source),

Model S headroom:
Front= 38.8",
Rear= 35.3" (source)

The Model 3 has practically the same legroom as the Model S:

Model 3 Leg room:
42.7” Front,
35.2” Rear (source)

Model S Leg room:
42.7" Front,
35.4" Rear (source)

The rear seat in the Model S might be wider but the difference should be small because the Model 3 is only 1.2 inches (3 cm) narrower:

Model 3 width: 76.1” with mirrors folded (source)
Model S width: 77.3” with mirrors folded (source)

By buying a used Model S instead of a new Model 3, you get,
  • A slower touchscreen if the car was manufactured before 14 March 2018,
  • An older version of Autopilot with 1 camera instead of 8 cameras if the car was manufactured between 19 Sep 2014-16 Oct 2016,
  • About 7-10 minutes slower Supercharging per a typical session,
  • Less range. The difference is going to be very important when you can't skip a busy Supercharger while traveling with your family. Similarly, you won't be able to avoid the extremely painfully slow Supercharging between 93-100% in winter between some Supercharge stations. You will wait 20 min extra for that last 7% (see this video) instead of not having to go over 90% in LRD.
  • $100-$200/year more for day to day charging depending on which Model S version you select. S85 is the worst. It consumes 11 kWh more per 100 miles. See the details here.
  • No option to upgrade to Autopilot 3.0 that will be released in 2019
  • No support for Supercharger V3 stations Tesla will start deploying in early 2019. You will continue to Supercharge at current rates.
  • Some of the older Model S cars have worse 0-60 times than the Model 3 LR or LRD.
  • The Model S has something called 'Limp Mode'. This is a real thing. The car enters a reduced power mode. Search for "Model S limp mode". Instead of this, you get Track Mode in a Model 3 Performance. Track Mode is not available in any Model S yet because the battery cooling in Model S is not as powerful as the Model 3. See the article here. Tesla might release a new Model S version in January or April 2019 that has more powerful battery cooling. This would enable Supercharger V3 and Track Mode. They are also expected to release the new Autopilot 3.0 hardware with a 10x more powerful computer. All of these could happen in January or April 2019. Tesla makes these kinds of big changes in the first month of the quarter.
  • A plastic nosecone if the car was manufactured before 12 Apr 2016.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: b team
The performance models have faster times and lower range numbers. An S90D is a standard model. A P90D is a performance model.
Early S90Ds had an EPA range of 288 miles. Later S90Ds have an EPA range of 294 miles. I'm not sure when the change happened but my January 2016 S90D is in the 288 mile group.

From what i'm seeing on Tesla.com the some S 90D have a range of 265 miles and some 294. Both appear to have same drivetrain and batteries and yet both have different 0-60 times(4.2 vs 5.4). What also seems odd is the higher ranging ones are the quicker ones. Check out the two links.

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

While I think the 3 is the smarter choice, I too went with the S because it looks so much nicer and has way more storage. For 60k you should be able to get a 2016 S85D. I would stay away from the 90 as they have had issues. If you want to spring for it, find a 2015-2016 P85D as this is the performance one and honestly the best car Tesla has made. It will be tough to find a AP2 car for less than 60k.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyinLow
While I think the 3 is the smarter choice, I too went with the S because it looks so much nicer and has way more storage. For 60k you should be able to get a 2016 S85D. I would stay away from the 90 as they have had issues. If you want to spring for it, find a 2015-2016 P85D as this is the performance one and honestly the best car Tesla has made. It will be tough to find a AP2 car for less than 60k.

What makes the AP2 better than the AP1 and how does one know which AP a car has?

+1 on a vote for a P85D!

Lots falling in the mid to low $50s to choose from. Here’s a thread where a couple of us have been watching them as the prices continue to come down.

Tesla P85D CPO for $51K

Some people think because the Model S is more expensive, it must be more premium but that's not the reason. The main reason the Model S costs more is that it requires more labor because the production line is less automated. The Fremont factory -previously known as the Nummi factory- produced 429K cars in 2006 with 5,500 employees when it was owned by Toyota & GM. That's 78 cars per employee per year. In Aug 2016, Tesla was at 2,000/week (100K/year) Model S&X with 4,500 employees. That's 22 cars per employee per year, only 28% as efficient as Toyota.

For Model 3, Tesla added 5,000 employees and achieved 5,000/week (250K/year) which is 50 cars per employee per year (64% as efficient as Toyota). Model 3 production is twice as efficient as Model S/X. That's the main reason why S/X is more expensive. It has nothing to do with Model S being more premium. Tesla is planning to reach 7,000/week Model 3s with efficiency improvements. If they achieve that, they would reach 70 cars per employee per year and 3 times the efficiency as S/X production. As far as I know, there are currently no plans to upgrade the Model S/X production lines.

Last edited:
About Autopilot 1.0 vs 2.0/2.5:

AP1.0 has a single camera. It was developed by a company called Mobileye. Tesla stopped working with them and released their own Autopilot package with 8 cameras known as Enhanced Autopilot or AP2.0 on 16 Oct 2016. AP1.0 development has finished. There are no new features expected for AP1.0 hardware. There might be some cosmetic improvements with the user-interface.

However, in the next few months. Tesla is expected to release a hands-off version of Navigate-on-Autopilot, which is only available in AP2.0/2.5. On youtube search for "Tesla Navigate on Autopilot" or click here. In other words, currently 'Navigate on Autopilot' requires you to confirm lane changes but the next version won't. After that, Tesla is expected to release traffic light and stop sign recognition and then continue to release Autopilot software updates every few months until they get closer to fully-self-driving. In early 2019, AP2.0/2.5 owners will be able to upgrade to AP3.0 hardware which will have a computer 10 times more powerful than AP2.5.

There won't be an upgrade path for AP1.0. They would need to buy a new Tesla. For example, they might sell their old Model S and buy a new Model 3, which is why you see lots of used Model S in the market. In addition, when Model S/X/3 all switch to AP3.0 in early 2019, the Model S/X might have additional hardware changes. For example, they might get digitally controlled air vents like in Model 3. They might also get a new battery pack with more powerful cooling like the Model 3 to enable Supercharger V3 and Track Mode. These changes would make older Model S cars even less relevant.

Here is a chart that shows different versions of Model S:

PpS6mVP.jpg

I want to correct something I said above. I wrote "AP2.5 hardware was released on 14 Mar 2018." That's not correct. AP2.5 was released in early Aug 2017 for S/X when they started making the Model 3. Details here. On 14 March 2018, they upgraded the infotainment computer in S/X to match the Model 3. Details here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
For what it’s worth, I opted for a used Model S 85 from a TMC member private party. It was in perfect condition and I got to see all the repair receipts, talk to the person who had it since new and test drive it before buying.

My standard 85 is pretty fast compared to most four door cars these days.

I like the hatch back, room for dogs and larger frunk. My family of five does road trips over 500 miles together on a regular basis. Kids are 14, 13 and 9. It is our primary car, we rarely drive the other one unless we are towing. The 3+ hours driving is plenty between stops with the 85, often we stop at about 2.5 hrs and charge for 30-45 min as directed by the nav.

I paid in the low 40s a year ago for it and would do the same thing again. Even if I need to fix things outside the warranty it is still a bargain in my book. I still have 4 years remaining on the battery and motor warranty. I fixed a door handle myself for about $150 for new aftermarket parts. A 12V battery replacement can be done at home, or pay the Ranger $200 to do it every four years, just like any other car. Wipers, washer fluid and tires are needed every so often.

I would have bought the 3 if I had two kids, no dogs, liked the looks of the extended landscape screen, or needed to park in tight spaces regularly.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide!

79E867A9-87BF-42F6-8592-80810029BC3B.jpeg

Reactions: dgpcolorado
From what i'm seeing on Tesla.com the some S 90D have a range of 265 miles and some 294. Both appear to have same drivetrain and batteries and yet both have different 0-60 times(4.2 vs 5.4). What also seems odd is the higher ranging ones are the quicker ones. Check out the two links.

The P90D has a range of 265 miles.
The S90D has a range of 294 miles.

The P version is the performance version. It is quicker and has the lower range and costs a lot more.

@EYSA, a word of caution -- you stated that one of your "requirements" was 250 miles of range. The range numbers quoted on the sticker are EPA range numbers, which can be considered similar to EPA MPG numbers for a gas car in that, under the right conditions and at the relatively low test speeds the EPA still thinks we ought to be driving since 1974, you could theoretically get there. A driver wanting top performance is not likely to get close.

Also realize that you are looking at an electric car several years old. The batteries in electric cars do degrade. The amount is variable depending on a lot of factors, but the range only goes down, never up. My car is probably typical and has dropped 10 miles of range for every year. Some cars are better and some are worse, some claim very little range loss and some more.

If there is a hard and fast reason you need 250 miles of range, you are unlikely to get that range without compromising on speed pretty significantly, and even then in a few years you may not get that exact range.

I'm not in any way trying to discourage you, just trying to inform. I live in a rural area and my car only has 240 miles of rated range now. I know that as long as my car can reach the nearest grocery store and movie theater (70 miles away) and back, it's all good for my use. We take 2500 mile cross-country road trips twice a year, and Superchargers are getting closer together much faster than my range is decreasing.

If there is a hard and fast reason you need 250 miles of range, you are unlikely to get that range without compromising on speed pretty significantly, and even then in a few years you may not get that exact range.

Not only this, but do you need 250 miles of range every day? Remember you can recharge every night and have a 'full tank' every morning.

For instance, even a 2014/2015 P85D with 250 miles of rated range at 100% charge most likely won't go 250 miles unless you are driving on flat roads, in the summer, with no wind or rain, and under 60-65mph. A P85D with 250 miles or rated range, driving around town, will likely see I'd guess maybe 175-200 miles of REAL range. But again, are you and/or your wife driving 175-200 miles every day?

And as BerTx said, since superchargers are getting closer and closer together, any car with 250 miles of rated range or better is likely more than 99% of people will ever need. I've taken my P85+ and later my P85D on a cross-country trip (2000-3000 miles) every year since 2014 (when superchargers were sparse) and never had a problem with range. Cars with range over 250 you can start skipping superchargers on road trips (saves a little time), but you already said you'd take your ICE on road trips anyway.

Reactions: FlyinLow
Ideally I'd stay under $60k including all fees which would make the price of the car about $55k. The car will be for my wife and really the only option she really cares for is the pano roof. Definitely an S as we are a family of 5 and while we probably won't road trip much with it(we'd use my gas guzzling Tundra) we will be doing most local cutting in it. I would like for it to have a range of at least 250 miles and autopilot. Performance wise I would like for it to be one of the quicker models as I am getting rid of my tuned E63 AMG which is a monster so until I get another toy(probably a year or so and it might even be the upcoming Tesla Roadster) I'd like to have a nicely powered car in the family. Other than the mentioned i'm open to other options but none are really a necessity.

I think given all of the above, a P85D would be your best bang for the buck. Also, the pano roof (or sunroof) is only available on Model S.

There are also two P85D factory modifications you should know about. First, for all P85Ds made between December, 2014 and April, 2015 include the "Performance Plus" suspension from the P85+ (RWD) Model S. This gives the car a much tighter handling feel and connection to the road. Think BMW M5 like handling (I don't know the AMG line that well, but I assume it's similar). Tesla discontinued this suspension in May, 2015 and is no longer available on any car since. See this thread for more info: Performance Plus (+) Upgrade If you are seaching cars by option code, the option code for the + suspension is: PX01, but be warned, not all cars with the + suspension have this option code. It's best to go by build date between (inclusive) Dec-2014 to April-2015.

The other is Ludicrous mode which was offered briefly to original P85D owners as an upgrade (but no longer available). This reduces 0-60 from 3.2 to 2.9 seconds and greatly improves passing acceleration on the highway.

Right now on EV-CPO there are 123 P85Ds to choose from, with an average price of $59,300 which I think is right in your price range. Also, keep an eye out for the 2-year vs 4-year warranties available. I'd strongly recommend getting one with the 4-year warranty (101 of those available).

upload_2018-12-17_10-1-6.png

Also, despite the FUD and misinformation posted above, AP1 is awesome and works very well. I use it everyday (as do a lot of people), and currently does most of what AP2 can do. Yes, AP2 can be upgraded in the future, but at this point, what those capabilities will be, and especially the delivery dates, are pure speculation or vaporware. AP1 is fully functional and stable.

I'm happy to help if you have any other questions.