Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing enthusiasm for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
igotzzoom - I considered some "blowback" .... but decided against it, because I can understand your POV.

As I mentioned a few post back, I do not want to make a "passionate" purchase ..... and I am in no rush. OTOH, I appreciate what Falcon Wings posted. Amid all the post about a sunken hood and a rough ride. It's reassuring to read something positive.

Regarding the $35K "promise" ... Tesla should make a model available at that cost, or stop alluding to that possibility. I'd wager that most buyers would add the extra's and shy away from a base, black, no frill's vehicle.
It is deceptive that Tesla speaks about a $35K car, but adds additional charges that must be paid even if one was available.

Personally ... I am continuing to watch and wait. I have never seen a M3 in person, but pictures look fantastic; the prospects of a federal tax credit were never something I counted on; I just hope the assembly glitches can all be resolved quickly, production can increase, and Tesla will expand the option list (short range battery, a beige or tan interior to name two).
I have driven a hybrid for 8 years now ... and I am ready to advance to the EV. But I am not so desperate that I would even consider a Bolt or a Hyundai EV.

As an owner of a Model3 I can attest the car is AWESOME and worth the wait. I STRONGLY suggest the long range battery but that’s up to you.

Comparing a model three to a vehicle that has not been released yet is absurd. You have no idea what the flaws of that vehicle are going to be.

I hear what you're saying about the charging infrastructure, and without a doubt, it is a factor. But at the moment, there are still two other ICE vehicles in our household for longer trips, and if it was that much of a concern, I'd probably get a Volt. I just wish EM would be a little more realistic about projected timelines.

Reactions: voltage
Take it from an Prius, Leaf, X and Bolt owners. The Prius was the first introduction to EV like. The Leaf was an natural upgrade. The X was the only available EV SUV. And the Bolt because $35k model 3 is not out yet. So you buy the car base on your need, your inclination and availability. After the wait for the X, I would not wait for any thing from Tesla. My expectations for Tesla is you get it when you get it. Any way, i’am in line (not waiting) for 2 $35k Model 3.

2 years ago I was stoked, last year I was meh, this year I could care less, next year I’ll grab whatever i fancy. The instant gratification world we live in kinda sucks lol.

Perfectly articulates my sentiments... only regret I have after cancelling is how "meh" the rest of the field is right now. After learning so much about the potential of Tesla and how great the Model S is, everything else just kind of seems inadequate. That said, we are not blowing up our car budget to splurge for a Model S.

In Seattle, Ss have been everywhere for years, but I still get excited when I see one. I've noticed 5 3s this week in the SLU area and have not been anywhere near as excited.

Echoing... No supercharging network and the other reasonably priced alternatives don't have the sweet lines. Although, I will admit a really fun reaction to seeing the VW ID buzz... they might be available 2022, by then there will be half million M3's on the road, a model Y, and the semi trucks quietly sliding cargo all across america...

Reactions: dhrivnak
I'm with you on this. Just as everyone was discovering, surprise!, unannounced invites on their configure page, I OTOH discovered, surprise! and also unannounced, that if I want a base M3 I will now have to wait until 2019. I reserved within 24 hours, and still, a 3 year wait? I'm willing to be patient, but the communication there was poor and the whole maneuver smacks of marketing shenanigans. "C'mon, if we upsell you now, you could still get the rebate....." I am sorely tempted to get a refund and just wait until the backlog clears. I don't need this heartache.

Even my brother in law, who put down his $1000 a couple of months ago, says he is expecting delivery on his long range version later in 2018.

I want to be supportive of Tesla and I believe in the vision, but after a while I get tired of feeling like a chump.

I hear what you're saying about the charging infrastructure, and without a doubt, it is a factor. But at the moment, there are still two other ICE vehicles in our household for longer trips, and if it was that much of a concern, I'd probably get a Volt. I just wish EM would be a little more realistic about projected timelines.

This person gave up his Volt for a Model 3 ... 2 weeks in

I’m still inclined to wait, and frankly at this point, if it’s this summer or early fall, that would be fine, as I’m planning on moving into a single-family house soon.

I think it would probably make the most sense to postpone delivery until we’re in the new house, and can make the provisions in terms of wiring, solar, etc. than sink $1,000-2,000 into a place we’re going to move from in a few months.

I’m sure some time behind the wheel might re-kindle my enthusiasm.

Reactions: Stirfelt
We were out eating dinner as a family tonight and had to stop by the gallery in our shopping center to 1) show my 7 year old daughter what the 3 is like since I've told her repeatedly I should have the car by now and 2) to sit in it again and pretend to know what it feels like....only way to pass the time and not get overly upset again.....

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I know I'm probably going to get plenty of blowback on this post, but I don't really care. I admit that I was very excited and passionate when I originally put in my deposit online night of the reveal in 2016. That was now nearly two years ago. Since then, GM has brought a full-fledged long-range EV to market, and seems to have no shortage of them available. Yes, I know comparing the Bolt and Model 3 is an apples and oranges comparison. I get it.

Secondly, we're nowhere near the $35,000 real-world price that was promised, and it looks like it's going to be a long time until that's the case.

Thirdly, the Model 3 will soon no longer be the only game in town in terms of a reasonably affordable long-range (200+ mile) EV. It ceased to be that when the Bolt came out. At this point, I'm not asking for a refund, but I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do when I finally do get my configuration invite. At this point, I'm not in critical need of a third vehicle in the household. I sold one of my other ICE cars in anticipation of the Model 3, in retrospect, somewhat naïvely thinking I would get it "any day now."

Now, I see announcements of the Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Niro EV. Both of those would fit my needs fine, and I find them more aesthetically pleasing that the somewhat awkward-looking Bolt. However, even my initial revulsion to the Bolt's styling has subdued somewhat. I no longer "hate" it. I still think it's awkward-looking, but I'm to the point where I'd consider it as a daily driver, regardless of styling.

I know none of the vehicles I've mentioned have that status or performance of the Model 3. But I'm to the point where I no longer care about having the "newest, shiniest" thing on the road. If I wanted that, I should have stood in line first day, which I didn't. But considering all of the quality issues I've heard about on the early-run models, I'm not sure I would have wanted one. I'm going to give it until mid-summer 2018 to see if I get my invite. If August '18 comes and goes and still no invite, at that point, I think I'm probably going to ask for my money back.

I'm still a believer in Tesla's mission and what Elon is doing advancing technology in multiple industries. However, I think his showmanship gets him in trouble sometimes in terms of over-promising and under-delivering. I wish he'd be a little more realistic in the timeline goals he announces.
I still have a bit of enthusiasm, but it is dissipating rapidly. Being in Australia we lined up and put down our deposits a good 18 hours before California and it looks as we'll be waiting a minimum of another year to see the first M3s over here. That's more than 3 years!
I'm betting there will be a few serious contenders in the EV market by then. I am holding onto my reservations as I still think the M3 is a game changer. Just wish they would pull their finger out.
On the other hand we are happy to have a few hundred thousand beta testers in the US ironing out all the bugs for us!

• Funny
Reactions: TEG
I'm afraid that I, too, am losing enthusiasm. I am turning towards looking at hybrids that will offer me much of what I wanted in the 3 except for the fact that I have solar on my house and I wanted NO FUEL COST while driving in my home state.

With rumors and pictures of 3's available in the lot AND rumors of limits on the rebates, that pushes me further into finding a hybrid as an interim product until we see what the competition is going to produce that will equal or surpass the 3.

On March 31, 2018, it will be EXACTLY 2 years. If I get an interim car, then waiting another 3 or 4 years will be worth it. And while we can see that Elon has already started to chnge the culture around the world, I will probably keep watching and maybe someday purchase a Tesla in the FUTURE. As of now, I will see what happens by the end of June.

Reactions: Stirfelt and dm33
I think we are looking at yet another delivery bump headed our way. I am a fan but even as a fan I can admit that production appears to be anemic even as production targets get more and more conservative, I really have doubts about them making significant headway in the next two quarters before the credit expires and doubt they can get to me in the Midwest during that time. Most of the people on this forum are big Tesla fans and will tolerate these delays much more than the general public who will just lose interest.

Reactions: dm33
Elon Musk is a brilliant entrepreneur, and he gets things done. But he is not perfect by far. And one of his imperfections is a boundless enthusiasm that often communicates a sense that he's making a promise when (I think) he's really trying to express a hope. Or maybe he cannot separate his hopes from his expectations. There's an old saying: Under-promise; over-deliver. Musk over-promises when it comes to timelines, even if only by implication.

The cars, when they do come, definitely deliver.

The car sharing service Turo has Model 3s that you can rent and try it out yourself

Depends where you are. I'd have rented one for a day or a weekend. There were none in Spokane. To the best of my knowledge, mine is only the second Model 3 here.

I can't get over how spartan it is. Maybe if they threw in a couple of knobs that don't do anything.

My Zap Xebra had a toggle switch that did nothing. Seriously! I had no idea what it was supposed to be for. It was not connected to anything at all. I had someone wire it in to the backup beeper so I could turn that on or off. With the switch off, it did not beep when in Reverse. With the switch on, it beeped in Reverse.

I would like the Model 3 to have easily accessible controls for several functions, but I don't feel the need for non-functioning clutter.

I think it would probably make the most sense to postpone delivery until we’re in the new house

Only about two weeks after placing my order I started thinking very seriously about moving to Maui. In hindsight I should have kept driving the Roadster for another year and gotten the Model 3 when I was settled there. However, at least I have the pleasure of driving the 3 for this year. (And then I'll have to sell it or ship it, depending on which car I decide to keep there. I don't think I want two cars there and I don't expect to have space for two cars there.)

Reactions: TEG
I bought my Bolt in July 2017 and have been in love with it .I keep expanding the distance I will try and currently with out too much trouble have been able to get about 320 miles in range for my trip from Redondo to Big Bear and Back. The styling is certainly not my favorite part of the car but the roominess is great for us at 6'5" 6'2" 6'0" and 5'8" .We all fit very comfortably . I would love to have a Tesla but is a little out of my price range at the moment . The fast chargers are a bitch both in time and convenience . You always have to have a plan b and c. .None of the dealers I talked to had any Bolts without the fast charging option . The m3 seems to have it all ....Styling Handling range and supercharger network .I hope Tesla can work out the bugs soon for all of you with mounting frustration . My Bolt lease is up in 2020 so hopefully m3's will be in good supply and waiting for me

I bought my Bolt in July 2017 and have been in love with it .I keep expanding the distance I will try and currently with out too much trouble have been able to get about 320 miles in range for my trip from Redondo to Big Bear and Back. The styling is certainly not my favorite part of the car but the roominess is great for us at 6'5" 6'2" 6'0" and 5'8" .We all fit very comfortably . I would love to have a Tesla but is a little out of my price range at the moment . The fast chargers are a bitch both in time and convenience . You always have to have a plan b and c. .None of the dealers I talked to had any Bolts without the fast charging option . The m3 seems to have it all ....Styling Handling range and supercharger network .I hope Tesla can work out the bugs soon for all of you with mounting frustration . My Bolt lease is up in 2020 so hopefully m3's will be in good supply and waiting for me
Welcome to TMC, @bnhappy55. Glad you're enjoying your Bolt. Despite living north of the Bay Area, I still see more Bolts than I do Model 3s, and everyone I talk to is really happy with them. Enjoy your tailpipe-emissions free driving.

I'm afraid that I, too, am losing enthusiasm. I am turning towards looking at hybrids that will offer me much of what I wanted in the 3 except for the fact that I have solar on my house and I wanted NO FUEL COST while driving in my home state.

With rumors and pictures of 3's available in the lot AND rumors of limits on the rebates, that pushes me further into finding a hybrid as an interim product until we see what the competition is going to produce that will equal or surpass the 3.

On March 31, 2018, it will be EXACTLY 2 years. If I get an interim car, then waiting another 3 or 4 years will be worth it. And while we can see that Elon has already started to chnge the culture around the world, I will probably keep watching and maybe someday purchase a Tesla in the FUTURE. As of now, I will see what happens by the end of June.
I was in a similar situation. I decided to get a Honda Clarity for now and come back for a Model S (or upgraded Model 3) in 2 years or so. Clarity is eligible for fed and CO rebate. It’s no Tesla, but I’m enjoying it.

Also hoping Tesla, Nissan and GM get extensions on the caps or have the caps come off. No good to reward the other companies, like Honda, that sat on their hands while those 3 were making all the EVs they could sell.

Reactions: dm33
I have 2 reservations, but the cars I have are just fine at the moment. I may miss out on the 7500 tax credit just because I want to hang onto my existing car for another 2-3 yrs. Maybe if one of my kids' cars bites the dust, and they want to fund me to buy it for them, then I'll get one. I am in the market for a new pickup truck, as the chevy colorado is on its 3rd gas tank (yes the big thing that holds all the liquid), and is 14 yrs old. I'd buy the electric pickup truck if it was decent. So I may not buy the model 3, not because I've lost excitement in it, nor that I think another company makes a better product, but simply because I'm not ready to ditch my current car which I'm not afraid to take on gravel/washboard roads.