Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of map data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S Navigation System has lost its map data. This may have happened when I took it in for Service and they downloaded the latest software system. I see nothing on the map except grid lines. And when I try to enter an address it says unable to find it. I've informed Tesla in Holland and they promise to upload the data to my car, but it is the Easter weekend and it won't happen until next week. Any suggestions for a quicker solution?

Richard Dawkins

I know it sounds silly, but it can't hurt to do a few thorough reboots of both the driver console and the 17" screen. Furthermore, you'll need WiFi access for OTA map updates.
Good luck.

Thank you for this. I know how to reboot the 17 inch screen: hold down both track wheels. But how to you reboot the driver console?

I have a WiFi hub only about ten yards away but, whereas other computers sitting on the car seat, see a strong signal, the Tesla itself sees only a very weak signal.

I've just been out to the car, and the problem has mysteriously disappeared. I phoned Tesla in Holland to ask whether they have done anything at their end, and they have. not. So I am baffled, and asked them not to declare the case closed but to continue investigating.

Anyway, thank you for your advice.

Hold down the two top buttons. However, my understanding is that the latest 6.2 software reboots both from the thumbwheels. I don't have 6.2, so I can't confirm that.

Ok, this may be improbable, but if you're zoomed way out and off the map, you'll see grid, but no other features. Try places->somewhere you've been, and zoom way in or out. Changing from satellite to map view might help as well. I was able to recreate your problem, with 6.2.

btw, holding down both scroll buttons for a minute reboots the 17 in 10 seconds, but not the drivers console. I only ended up with sore thumbs.

On 6.1 holding both thumb wheels until the T logo was displayed on the instrument panel (about 20 or 30 seconds) caused both to reboot. If you let go of the thumb wheels after the 17' console goes black I believe only the console restarts. I assume it is the same way on 6.2.

Last time I rebooted with 6.2 I had to hold the two scroll buttons for about 3 minutes until both screens went black and the T logo appeared. Even a slight relaxation causes the timing to start again.

The usual cause of loss of map is the loss of internet connectivity. Check whether you can browse to a web page if it occurs again.

@Richard Dawkins this is all your fault:

download-3-52.jpg

I've just been out to the car, and the problem has mysteriously disappeared. I phoned Tesla in Holland to ask whether they have done anything at their end, and they have. not. So I am baffled, and asked them not to declare the case closed but to continue investigating.

Hello Richard - another Oxford-area Tesla owner here! - when you talk about the maps, are you referring to the big map on the 17" touch screen, or the (separate) maps which appear on the dashboard, when you've chosen a route?

I suspect you're referring to the former; these are the maps downloaded from Google (the latter are built-in maps, which I believe used to come from Garmin, although I'm sure another forum member will probably correct me here).

Anyway, my wife and I often have no 17" maps at all in either of our Teslas - this is simply due to the woeful cellular "connectivity" in our area (edge of the Cotswolds = no mobile signal much of the time). I'd be surprised if Oxford city centre has such poor connectivity - but sometimes there's another issue, which is a congested network (it's perfectly possible to drive along with 5 bars of mobile signal, and still get no maps).

Aside: when I was test driving the P85D a few years ago, a Tesla rep very kindly brought a car to my house and we went out for a country drive; within a few minutes the 17" touch screen was completely blank - no maps at all - whereupon the Tesla chap exclaimed "oh wow, now I understand what you were complaining about" - he'd never seen this before and didn't believe it was possible not to get any maps.