TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loss of map data

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Richard Dawkins, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins New Member

My Model S Navigation System has lost its map data. This may have happened when I took it in for Service and they downloaded the latest software system. I see nothing on the map except grid lines. And when I try to enter an address it says unable to find it. I've informed Tesla in Holland and they promise to upload the data to my car, but it is the Easter weekend and it won't happen until next week. Any suggestions for a quicker solution?

Richard Dawkins

2. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

I know it sounds silly, but it can't hurt to do a few thorough reboots of both the driver console and the 17" screen. Furthermore, you'll need WiFi access for OTA map updates.
    Good luck.

3. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Are you the real Richard Dawkins, Ethnologist? Perhaps if so you may want to comment on the popularly held notion around here that Elon Musk is God. ;)

4. Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins New Member

Thank you for this. I know how to reboot the 17 inch screen: hold down both track wheels. But how to you reboot the driver console?

I have a WiFi hub only about ten yards away but, whereas other computers sitting on the car seat, see a strong signal, the Tesla itself sees only a very weak signal.

I've just been out to the car, and the problem has mysteriously disappeared. I phoned Tesla in Holland to ask whether they have done anything at their end, and they have. not. So I am baffled, and asked them not to declare the case closed but to continue investigating.

Anyway, thank you for your advice.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Hold down the two top buttons. However, my understanding is that the latest 6.2 software reboots both from the thumbwheels. I don't have 6.2, so I can't confirm that.

6. idaten

idaten Member

Ok, this may be improbable, but if you're zoomed way out and off the map, you'll see grid, but no other features. Try places->somewhere you've been, and zoom way in or out. Changing from satellite to map view might help as well. I was able to recreate your problem, with 6.2.

btw, holding down both scroll buttons for a minute reboots the 17 in 10 seconds, but not the drivers console. I only ended up with sore thumbs.

7. marchyman

marchyman Member

On 6.1 holding both thumb wheels until the T logo was displayed on the instrument panel (about 20 or 30 seconds) caused both to reboot. If you let go of the thumb wheels after the 17' console goes black I believe only the console restarts. I assume it is the same way on 6.2.

8. simonog

simonog Member

Last time I rebooted with 6.2 I had to hold the two scroll buttons for about 3 minutes until both screens went black and the T logo appeared. Even a slight relaxation causes the timing to start again.

The usual cause of loss of map is the loss of internet connectivity. Check whether you can browse to a web page if it occurs again.

9. invisik

invisik Member

I'd also call the main Tesla service number and tell them you need help on this now and it can't wait until next week. They can do a lot remotely to diagnose problems.

-m

10. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

+1

Nice.