Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we get Park Assist on Model S with HW4 and no USS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having issues with the Park Assist feature on my Model S with HW4 with the 2023.20.7 update. Despite multiple reboots, the system shows my car passing the wall, even when I'm still about 12 inches away. I've tried turning off/on autopilot options and camera calibration, but no luck.

It seems odd if Tesla is relying solely on the front windshield camera for park assist. I can't confirm if there's a camera at the front of the car, near the license plate area. I've read somewhere that there might be a radar installed. Can anyone verify this?

I'm having issues with the Park Assist feature on my Model S with HW4 with the 2023.20.7 update. Despite multiple reboots, the system shows my car passing the wall, even when I'm still about 12 inches away. I've tried turning off/on autopilot options and camera calibration, but no luck.

It seems odd if Tesla is relying solely on the front windshield camera for park assist. I can't confirm if there's a camera at the front of the car, near the license plate area. I've read somewhere that there might be a radar installed. Can anyone verify this?
The current HW4 cars do not have a camera in the front bumper and use the windshield camera which has an obvious blind spot in front of the bumper. This results in very poor park assist performance. The park assist functionality was much better in the pre-HW4 models that had USS.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m in the market for a second car and would love to consider Tesla, but without bare minimum parking sensors and a 360° view (which have been on all my previous cars since I could drive) and, ideally, working auto park, I would never buy a current Tesla. Is this likely to be resolved soon once the new models of m3/Y are announced with properly placed cameras that can see the bumper and how long will this be?

Some of the solutions here like tennis balls on string seem laughable to a car company that puts an emphasis on technology in the vehicles and puts robotaxis as one of its future goals. Yes people should be able to park without parking aids, but they remove a lot of the anxiety people feel commonly with parking and all the competitors have them, often at far lower price points. No tennis balls required.

I’m in the market for a second car and would love to consider Tesla, but without bare minimum parking sensors and a 360° view (which have been on all my previous cars since I could drive) and, ideally, working auto park, I would never buy a current Tesla. Is this likely to be resolved soon once the new models of m3/Y are announced with properly placed cameras that can see the bumper and how long will this be?

Some of the solutions here like tennis balls on string seem laughable to a car company that puts an emphasis on technology in the vehicles and puts robotaxis as one of its future goals. Yes people should be able to park without parking aids, but they remove a lot of the anxiety people feel commonly with parking and all the competitors have them, often at far lower price points. No tennis balls required.
To be honest, the 'Tesla Vision' is far from perfect but consider that even USS gave out false signals and stop warnings even if nothing was extremely close. I have personally evaluated both systems coming from an older M3 and can now make an informed comparison. So, after a month or so evaluating the Park Assist firsthand, I would say overall it's just as useful. I do believe that recent software updates have improved its capabilities. Still, any experienced driver who has dealt with various parking situations will find the new approach perfectly acceptable. Nobody should rely on this system 100%. Keeping in mind that this is a parking AID means just that, nothing can be more effective than your own good judgement.

Probably neither here nor there, but I have never relied on park assist in any car I've owned, and both our cars are current models. I look at the display and the superimposed lines and audible beeps occasionally when things are close, but I never assume it's 100% correct. If there is a perfect front or rear park assist example, we haven't experienced it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mm9351 and Ciaopec
To be honest, the 'Tesla Vision' is far from perfect but consider that even USS gave out false signals and stop warnings even if nothing was extremely close. I have personally evaluated both systems coming from an older M3 and can now make an informed comparison. So, after a month or so evaluating the Park Assist firsthand, I would say overall it's just as useful. I do believe that recent software updates have improved its capabilities. Still, any experienced driver who has dealt with various parking situations will find the new approach perfectly acceptable. Nobody should rely on this system 100%. Keeping in mind that this is a parking AID means just that, nothing can be more effective than your own good judgement.
I think the best way to look at this is even Tesla doesn't think what they have currently is as good as USS. How do I know this? The same way I know FSD doesn't have a lot of real-world value, from Tesla themselves of course.

Just like when you pay 15k for FSD and if you trade your car back into them they give you pennies on your dollar. It is the same way with their USS replacement. IF and that is a big IF, it currently is as good as USS, then it is highly likely they would have already enabled summon, smart summon, and auto park. The fact that they haven't yet told you it is definitely inferior at this point in time.

I've used them both (non-USS and USS) and find USS to be definitely more accurate and reliable. In my garage, I've measured them both and the non-USS was off by 10" and the USS off by less than an inch. No parking aid is perfect but I know I can trust USS a lot more than its replacement. Even worse the non-USS isn't consistent. If it was off by a factor of X, I could compensate for that. It can be all over the place with its measurements. If the camera placement was better, it could have been a lot better. Again Tesla removed something without really having a viable alternative in place. Who knows when it will be.

Don't have to believe me, just refer back to the fact that even Tesla doesn't trust their own TV version of parking aids to be good enough to use with summon or autopark.

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with @DayTrippin . I have not drivin a Tesla with USS...(but have driven other cars with it of course.) I simply cannot rely on Vision Only for reliable and consistent "measurements" in parking situations.

...even Tesla doesn't trust their own TV version of parking aids to be good enough to use with summon or autopark.

Exactly. Once (and if) Tesla allows autopark and summon on Vision Only cars....then it is likely "as good" as USS sensors.

To be fair, Elon has indicated that "ASS" (Actual Smart Summon) is under development...and I assume that is being built with Vision Only. When that arrives...and how good it will be...anyone's guess.

Reactions: DayTrippin
Have done "soft" and "hard" reboots, have set to Advanced software updates. No luck.
Define "hard" reboot.

The only real hard reboot is to turn off Sentry mode and Cabin overheat and let the car go into a deep sleep. There is a misconception that pressing the brake is a different reboot than the two scroll wheel.

Make sure you are consistently connected to wifi and if all of that fails, put in a service ticket.

There's no reason why you are stuck at the 2nd week of software. They may need to replace your wifi module.

Define "hard" reboot.

The only real hard reboot is to turn off Sentry mode and Cabin overheat and let the car go into a deep sleep. There is a misconception that pressing the brake is a different reboot than the two scroll wheel.
I think a better hard reboot is to go into Controls, Safety, Power Off. Remember, the power will come back on if you touch anything or open the door. I usually just sit for 5 minutes before getting out.

I think a better hard reboot is to go into Controls, Safety, Power Off. Remember, the power will come back on if you touch anything or open the door. I usually just sit for 5 minutes before getting out.
Technically a hard reboot involves disconnecting the 12v, but I do not believe going to power off resets the FSD computer, too. The manual says that's just a soft reboot.

Putting the car to sleep resets the FSD computer.

Edit: Disregard, the power off is a full soft reboot that includes the FSD computer.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Technically a hard reboot involves disconnecting the 12v, but I do not believe going to power off resets the FSD computer, too. The manual says that's just a soft reboot.

Putting the car to sleep resets the FSD computer.

Edit: Disregard, the power off is a full soft reboot that includes the FSD computer.
Yes, by "soft" I meant two scroll wheel reboot. By "hard" (perhaps wrong term) I meant Controls - Safety - Power Off - wait 2 min - press brake. When I try to set up a service appt via Tesla App, the app tells me I already have the lateest software and that a service appt is not necessary lol.

Yes, by "soft" I meant two scroll wheel reboot. By "hard" (perhaps wrong term) I meant Controls - Safety - Power Off - wait 2 min - press brake. When I try to set up a service appt via Tesla App, the app tells me I already have the lateest software and that a service appt is not necessary lol.
I'm in the same boat but I'm on 2023.2.201. Had mobile service out for something else on Monday and they said I have the latest for my car. What?? There are HW4 plaids coming off the line now with way newer firmware and FSD. I saw all the success of HW4 and autopilot on twitter following WholeMars and pulled the trigger and signed up for the $200. Been 10 days and no firmware update. Tried several ways to contact Tesla....and that's like beating your head against a brick wall. Very frustrating.

I've received 0 firmware updates since buying the car in Mar.

Reactions: Tarrant1701
I'm in the same boat but I'm on 2023.2.201. Had mobile service out for something else on Monday and they said I have the latest for my car. What?? There are HW4 plaids coming off the line now with way newer firmware and FSD. I saw all the success of HW4 and autopilot on twitter following WholeMars and pulled the trigger and signed up for the $200. Been 10 days and no firmware update. Tried several ways to contact Tesla....and that's like beating your head against a brick wall. Very frustrating.

I've received 0 firmware updates since buying the car in Mar.
Have you tried to manually re-install from the service menu?

If that doesn't work, I'd take it in and demand an upgrade or sign up for FSD sub to get on that version then cancel. They couldn't say you had the latest, then.

Have you tried to manually re-install from the service menu?

If that doesn't work, I'd take it in and demand an upgrade or sign up for FSD sub to get on that version then cancel. They couldn't say you had the latest, then.

I tried the FSD route and figured I would get the update. But nope, been 10 days since I signed up for it and nothing. I could try the manual re-install but I kind of doubt it fixes it. Mobile service tech said for my car I'm running the latest. There must have been some updates to the Plaid since march that are fixes that make it work. I just want my $200 back...but that's probably a pipe dream. I mean if they know my car doesn't support it, why do they let me purchase it. Seems like a really simple software If statement to check before allowing me to purchase it. #frustrated.

I've tried every way to open a service request and it just keeps running diagnostics and says nope, not opening a service request. I will probably till closer to the renewal again and go to the local service center but don't have much hope for that either. Mobile tech said there is a special team that deals with FSD subscriptions and I should be able to communicate with them through the app. Lol. Well played...well played.

x.201 and x.301 seem like very odd versions to me. You may have some unfortunate builds that have some non-standard piece of hardware...and tesla has as of yet not merged those versions / configuration into the normal software branches? Dunno...that's the only thing I can think of.

I could try the manual re-install but I kind of doubt it fixes it. Mobile service tech said for my car I'm running the latest
TeslaFi says none of its vehicles are still on 2023.2.201, and there's been 25+ vehicles on the service with that version. They've updated to 2023.2.301 or newer. Most seem to be on more recent versions including 2023.32.7 with FSD Beta 11.4.4.

I would also recommend trying manual re-install from the service mode.