Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost my Navigate on Autopilot after 2019.8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the EAP from a December 2018 purchase. After the update, the old and new autopilot options are there, but there's no way to make NOA active. No button in the Nav area, nothing happens if I opt for turning it on on all trips.

Rebooted the screen several times, the whole system too. I was imagining the ultimate scum of the earth Repo Man scenario. You buy a car with a racing stripe, they tell you it's beta, a little imperfect, but you're happy enough with it. Wake up one morning to find the racing stripe gone, and a note saying it's no longer beta so it will cost a few large to get it back.

I called Tesla CS and they assured me it wasn't like that, that it belongs on the EAP, that it's some sort of misconfiguration, and I'd hear from Engineering within a week or so. Whew, that's a relief!

Anybody else lose any feature(s) after a software update?

Update for me.......everything back to normal and working! I did schedule an appointment to have it checked out. I checked all of my sensors and cameras to make sure they were clean before making the appointment. Also did a reset and that didn’t work. Parked car connected to WiFi. Maybe Tesla virtual resolved issues!. Definitely a weird issue for us.

Inspired by the comments here, I went out to my Nikki to find him unlocked. ? ok .... And NOA is back on the navigated route area. OK! So the little elves have been working on him. But the little elves must be hacking the config tables in hex, lots of room for error. Now Nikki wasn't allowing me to drive without the card. Rebooted the screen CPU. Still no joy when pressing on the brake. He pops up a picture of the place to put my card. But my card is two flights of stairs away in the house. Then finally I was able to turn the little ignition symbol on from the App. OK, now everything seems to be alright ... alright ... alright ... alright

So I walked away, but no brief honk, no mirror folding. NOW THE LOCK ON WALK-AWAY is broken. Sheesh, and meanwhile I'm back to struggling to get a backup done on my studio machine, and it aborts, file error. Not complainin' you mind, but Nikki's another mad infant AI to deal with. Know what I'm sayin' ?

Good thing I have a visit to the Service Center set up for tomorrow.

As I understand it, when diagnosing complaints of poor NoA performance, Tesla discovered that many owners reporting problems have outdated map data. In response, Tesla changed NoA in 2019.8.5 to require a recent version of the Tesla map data. If your car does not have recent version of the Tesla map data, you may temporarily lose NoA in 2019.8.5 until the car downloads newer map data. Tesla is now forcing these map downloads (6+GB) for those that need them, but if you have no access to WiFi or LTE during the evening, you may need to go to a Service center to receive this download.

Last edited:
Inspired by the comments here, I went out to my Nikki to find him unlocked. ? ok .... And NOA is back on the navigated route area. OK! So the little elves have been working on him. But the little elves must be hacking the config tables in hex, lots of room for error. Now Nikki wasn't allowing me to drive without the card. Rebooted the screen CPU. Still no joy when pressing on the brake. He pops up a picture of the place to put my card. But my card is two flights of stairs away in the house. Then finally I was able to turn the little ignition symbol on from the App. OK, now everything seems to be alright ... alright ... alright ... alright

So I walked away, but no brief honk, no mirror folding. NOW THE LOCK ON WALK-AWAY is broken. Sheesh, and meanwhile I'm back to struggling to get a backup done on my studio machine, and it aborts, file error. Not complainin' you mind, but Nikki's another mad infant AI to deal with. Know what I'm sayin' ?

Good thing I have a visit to the Service Center set up for tomorrow.
The lock as you walk away feature will return after pressing the lock/unlock toggle on your phone, might take once or twice...that’s how mine works.

I have the EAP from a December 2018 purchase. After the update, the old and new autopilot options are there, but there's no way to make NOA active. No button in the Nav area, nothing happens if I opt for turning it on on all trips.

Rebooted the screen several times, the whole system too. I was imagining the ultimate scum of the earth Repo Man scenario. You buy a car with a racing stripe, they tell you it's beta, a little imperfect, but you're happy enough with it. Wake up one morning to find the racing stripe gone, and a note saying it's no longer beta so it will cost a few large to get it back.

I called Tesla CS and they assured me it wasn't like that, that it belongs on the EAP, that it's some sort of misconfiguration, and I'd hear from Engineering within a week or so. Whew, that's a relief!

Anybody else lose any feature(s) after a software update?

We lost NOA after the update and a bunch of other weird stuff. The cameras see semi trucks surrounding the car and freaks out on lane changes. I have a service scheduled, but not until May. Hoping the mobile team can help me out before then.
B25D798C-FF01-4D1C-B2A9-475BD0749994.jpeg

As I understand it, when diagnosing complaints of poor NoA performance, Tesla discovered that many owners reporting problems have outdated map data. In response, Tesla changed NoA in 2019.8.5 to require a recent version of the Tesla map data. If your car does not have recent version of the Tesla map data, you may temporarily lose NoA in 2019.8.5 until the car downloads newer map data. Tesla is now forcing these map downloads (6+GB) for those that need them, but if you have no access to WiFi or LTE during the evening, you may need to go to a Service center to receive this download.
Can confirm, car downloaded new map last night!

• Informative
Reactions: goldengate