TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

loud fan in "hot" weather

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tescroft, Jun 25, 2017.

1. tescroft

tescroft In Musk, we trust.

My Model X makes a loud fan noise when it is exposed to direct sunlight in warm conditions (>25° C) when A/C is on. It is very loud from the outside, unusual for a car. During driving, it is not a problem for me inside the car, but the environment is exposed to a noise louder than that of a gasoline car, which is a bit unexpected for an EV.

When cabin overheat protection is on, the fan switches on automatically every time the car is parked in direct sunlight after some time. The fan is also very loud in this condition, making so much noise that my neigbors are disturbed. That's why I switched off the overheat protection. Are you experiencing the same problem with the loud fan?

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

What is your VIN? The early builds has switched lines that caused this noise

3. tescroft

tescroft In Musk, we trust.

Around 10K.

4. teethdood

teethdood Member

Mine is 41XXX and it makes the same loud AC noise. Attracts a different kind of stare than the FWD. It's a feature man. ;) For those who aren't looking, we MAKE you look with noise.

• Funny x 1
  5. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Loud fan here. Service specifically verified lines are ok.

6. animorph

animorph Member

It's just the A/C throwing off heat to the outside using a radiator and a fan. My Porsche did the same thing. Sounded like a vacuum cleaner and kept the garage clear of stray leaves. My X is about the same. It's noisy without any other noise covering it up.

One batch of Tesla A/C's were installed improperly and have to work much harder to cool down the car. That could be a cause of excessive noise.

7. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

I usually get the loud fan noise for the first 30 seconds when turning the car on in the heat. After that it seems to settle down.

8. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

The loud fan noise is normal as there is only one large cooling fan in the front of the Model X (as opposed to two smaller ones on the S).

• Like x 1