Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tescroft

In Musk, we trust.
Aug 23, 2015
Switzerland
My Model X makes a loud fan noise when it is exposed to direct sunlight in warm conditions (>25° C) when A/C is on. It is very loud from the outside, unusual for a car. During driving, it is not a problem for me inside the car, but the environment is exposed to a noise louder than that of a gasoline car, which is a bit unexpected for an EV.

When cabin overheat protection is on, the fan switches on automatically every time the car is parked in direct sunlight after some time. The fan is also very loud in this condition, making so much noise that my neigbors are disturbed. That's why I switched off the overheat protection. Are you experiencing the same problem with the loud fan?

It's just the A/C throwing off heat to the outside using a radiator and a fan. My Porsche did the same thing. Sounded like a vacuum cleaner and kept the garage clear of stray leaves. My X is about the same. It's noisy without any other noise covering it up.

One batch of Tesla A/C's were installed improperly and have to work much harder to cool down the car. That could be a cause of excessive noise.