Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my model Y but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s easy to point out all the things missing compared with an ICE car at the same price point but it’s apples vs oranges. Your $50K luxury ICE doesn’t accelerate like a Tesla and lacks the tech. The electric drivetrain and batteries are the big ticket item and comprise the bulk of the car cost.

If Tesla included every luxury feature then you’d have folks clamoring to de-content the car to bring the price down. You can’t please everyone. People just gotta choose to buy or not buy and quit the whining.

It’s easy to point out all the things missing compared with an ICE car at the same price point but it’s apples vs oranges. Your $50K luxury ICE doesn’t accelerate like a Tesla and lacks the tech. The electric drivetrain and batteries are the big ticket item and comprise the bulk of the car cost.

If Tesla included every luxury feature then you’d have folks clamoring to de-content the car to bring the price down. You can’t please everyone. People just gotta choose to buy or not buy and quit the whining.
Yes, which is why people in this thread are saying they should be offered as a new trim level. But some aren't a question of expense.

Bird's eye view is an initial software engineering expense, after which it costs nothing to include it in every single car being made by Tesla these days. They all have the same cameras, processors, etc.
AM Radio adds cost, or is it just one of those things Elon doesn't like?
Grab handles are "luxury" items now?
Letting people buy wiper blades direct from Tesla is somehow expensive?

There are a lot of good points here. Just because Teslas are overall pretty amazing cars doesn’t mean that they aren’t lacking in some ways.

The most baffling one for me was the grab handles. I guess it’s on me for not noticing when going on the test drive, but I still don’t understand why they’re not there. I’ve been in some pretty shitty cars in my life, and they’ve all had them... And what’s the first thing passengers grab onto when you stomp on the gas? I’m also not going to lie, before purchasing the car, I fully expected birds eye view and auto-park to come standard on the car, not either non-existent, or part of a 10k add-on package.

Again, I love the car, but we shouldn’t excuse everything, that’s how brands become complacent.

I’m coming from a Bolt EV and think I’m going to miss the camera-based rear view mirror. The Y has pretty limited visibility through its conventional rear view mirror.
In the Tesla vehicle you can turn on the backup camera at any time by tapping a screen button. The backup camera view is displayed on the right side of the main screen.

One more feature request; when stopped while driving or in slow moving traffic the climate control system should have an option to automatically turn on cabin air recirculation. Once moving again at speed turn off cabin air recirculation. (My 1999 Saab 95 had this feature, this worked well to minimize diesel exhaust fumes from trucks, buses entering the passenger cabin.)

In the Tesla vehicle you can turn on the backup camera at any time by tapping a screen button. The backup camera view is displayed on the right side of the main screen.

Also, as you get older having a camera-based RVM is less useful. I do occasionally flip the RVM to camera mode in the Bolt, because of the wider view, but having it above the windshield means us older folks have to tip our heads way up so we see it through the bottom of our glasses. Otherwise we can't get it in focus (since in camera mode you're focusing on the screen, versus focusing at infinity for an actual mirror). Having the camera view on the center console screen makes it much easier on the neck.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Also, as you get older having a camera-based RVM is less useful. I do occasionally flip the RVM to camera mode in the Bolt, because of the wider view, but having it above the windshield means us older folks have to tip our heads way up so we see it through the bottom of our glasses. Otherwise we can't get it in focus (since in camera mode you're focusing on the screen, versus focusing at infinity for an actual mirror). Having the camera view on the center console screen makes it much easier on the neck.
I’m thinking that having the rear view mode on the main screen is certainly useful at times but I would prefer a dedicated rear view on a separate screen, at least as an option. It takes a few weeks to get used to it but I’ve found it very useful on the Bolt over the last 4 years of driving with it. The only times I don’t use it are when the camera is obscured by rain or dirt or sometimes at night when the dynamic sensitivity range of the camera is not as good as mirror-based direct human vision. I realize it doesn’t work for some people due to the focal adjustment issue, especially with some types of glasses.

Speaking of camera views on the main screen, do the S and X have a forward-facing camera in the nose of the car? Even without a full 360 view mode, it would be very useful to temporarily enable a front camera view on the main screen that shows the road immediately ahead during parking. I didn’t notice a way for the Y to do that which makes parking evenly way more mysterious than it should be. Am I missing something?

Reactions: 73Bruin
Havent got mine yet, but the niggles I have didnt stop me from buying it. Really, Most cars have SOME type of similar trade off. And this isnt even a typical car. Its a software platform that gets you where you need to go. So, when thinking non traditionally...

My concerns as we were looking at it:

I felt Not having Apple Music was a bummer, but it was explained to me that is Apple's roadblock, they want to have control of it on the car software, and Tesla says hell naww.. So spotify it is, Which I have so far refused to use, as we're a multi apple family(just easier that way, with 5 phones to manage) But we may try it again. If it works, it works....

the not having an "oh $hit" bar thing was a silly omission, that at first I thought was an issue, But I don't care the more I think about it.

view out the back, its covered by the camera feed.

No at least donut spare. bugs me, but I keep tire plug kits in my bikes, which also don't have spares. So ill go that route.

window cracking to open door "feature"... nifty but it bugs me and I don't know why..... well see if I change my outlook there.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Good points here, of all the demands not having a garage opener and a 360 view camera baffles me. The car already sees everything, trash cans, cones, lights, butterflies, etc, etc. Why not just keep the top view of the car on the left side of the screen when engaging reverse showing things around you instead of going blank and just showing a car floating on an empty white screen? Can anybody explain that?

The electric motors and other electrical components in the Tesla vehicle create strong radio frequency interference (RFI) on the AM radio band. It was less expensive to delete the AM radio receiver than to address the RFI.

At some point in the distant past, we had a bad RFI problem after installing a third party stereo system in a car. The installer fixed the problem by removing it and them wrapping in the beefier equivalent of a aluminum foil hat. It was a part he had in stock and didn't cost more than a few dollar; it worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
Reactions: coleman567
I am willing to guess grab bars are missing because they messed with the minimalist aesthetic. I'm sure Tesla considered some overly-engineered retractable ones or something, but that probably did add too much expense so they were abandoned.

Chevy Bolt is half the price of a Y and has an AM radio. I'm sure Tesla could manage it. This is important not because everyone cares about AM radio, but because it shows other manufacturers are willing to give people what they want in a car, not what the manufacturer thinks they should have.

I will say the Bolt apparently also ships without Homelink, so I'm wondering if this is a result of some sort of stand-off between manufacturers and Homelink.

GM included Homelink in the 1st generation Chevy Volt but eliminated Homelink in the 2nd generation Volt. After negative customer feedback Chevrolet eventually came out with a dealer installed Homelink accessory for the Gen2 Volt.

I've read that adding grab bars to the Model Y would interfere with the curtain side airbag.