Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my model Y but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2000 Tacoma, 2001 BMW 335, 2007 Tundra, 2008 Fusion, 2009 Jetta, and 2013 Fusion all had this feature. I miss not having to constantly adjust the volume form highway levels when I pull into my driveway/office.

Okay, I am convinced. I find some of the gaps within a manufacturer's model lines a bit wierd, but don't doubt the reality. With the Tesla already having a microphone in the passenger compartment and a electronic volume control, you would think that this could largely if not entirely be implemented through software.

Oh, come on. Everyone wants extra stuff, but please, this is an all electric car. The battery is a huge chunk of change, costing much more than the cookie cutter gas engine/transmission package on other cars. Tesla has to cut every little thing to get you a car like this, and if you don't like having to pay for a garage door opener, then buy a Honda. NONE of the others offer what Tesla has. Even the cars coming out as electrics are hybrids with a small battery and a gas engine, still cheaper than a big battery.

If you think Tesla makes too much profit on their cars, well, if you were in charge you'd either charge what Tesla does or go out of business. Ford and GM and Toyota would love it, because then they could go back to making nothing but gas cars again. There's no way they would go to 100% electric. Likely they have ties to big oil.

I love my S and my 3 a bunch. And having to carry a garage door opener fob or have it mounted to the visor never stopped me from going all electric. I expect Gas Cars will die out eventually, hopefully before their additional pollution kills the climate of the world.

I agree they should cut stuff out to keep cost low, but what about offering an optional higher trim level for people who want to pay extra for these features?

I have become so accustomed to BSM mirrors, Cross traffic backup warning, Apple CarPlay, and grab handles over the doors on my Prius that I feel it will be an adjustment to downgrade to the MY trim.

• Love
Reactions: Arctic_White
I just picked up a MY for overnight test drive last night so after a couple hours seat time I will add one more thing.

The visibility out the front is amazing, but the visibility out the back sucks! What were they thinking with that tiny little darkly tinted window and itsy-bitsy mirrors? It really feels unsafe to me so far. I suppose I could grow accustomed to it but since we are venting here...

On the plus side, it goes really fast effortlessly.

Still have all day to play with it :)

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I just picked up a MY for overnight test drive last night so after a couple hours seat time I will add one more thing.

The visibility out the front is amazing, but the visibility out the back sucks! What were they thinking with that tiny little darkly tinted window and itsy-bitsy mirrors? It really feels unsafe to me so far. I suppose I could grow accustomed to it but since we are venting here...

On the plus side, it goes really fast effortlessly.

Still have all day to play with it :)
i routine drive with the review view camera on, it displays a much clearer rear and side/rear set of views which makes routine lane changes much safer IMO.

Okay, I am convinced. I find some of the gaps within a manufacturer's model lines a bit wierd, but don't doubt the reality. With the Tesla already having a microphone in the passenger compartment and a electronic volume control, you would think that this could largely if not entirely be implemented through software.
Wait.
My MY goes from higher to lower volume from high driving speeds by itself.

Reactions: whisperingshad
No idea you had upgraded Jeff. Congrats! Did you turn your Bolt back in as part of the buybacks?
No (at least not yet…). So far, I plan to keep the Bolt mostly for local driving in the SF Bay Area. While it’s an adequate car for road trips (and I’ve done many 400+ mile drives with it), it’s an ideal car for running urban tasks and parking in small spaces. The Y will be a road trip car and replaces my old 2004 Prius as the second car in the garage. I’m expecting to have it delivered sometime in the next few weeks. I see that you just put in an order for a Model 3 for delivery in a similar timeframe. And now we wait….

Last edited:
No (at least not yet…). So far, I plan to keep the Bolt mostly for local driving in the SF Bay Area. While it’s an adequate car for road trips (and I’ve done many 400+ mile drives with it), it’s an ideal car for running urban tasks and parking in small spaces. The Y will be a road trip car and replaces my old 2004 Prius as the second car in the garage. I’m expecting to have it delivered sometime in the next few weeks. I see that you just put in an order for a Model 3 for delivery in a similar timeframe. And now we wait….
Same here (but in the DC area). Bolt is great for those almost-parked-in parallel spots. And while it may be okay for road trips within a few hundred miles of SF, it gets a lot more dicey in the rest of the country. Even the I-95 corridor, as you get up toward Maine, comes with that bit of dread where what do I do if the one EVgo station at the Augusta Hannaford is out of service? Vs. the 8 SC stalls across the highway at the Home Depot, at least one of which is sure to be working!

Also the TACC and lanekeeping makes the drive a lot less draining. And it can carry 3x as much stuff with the back seats up.

But yeah, honestly for a 2-car family with access to home charging, I think Bolt + Model Y is a fine combination.

Reactions: Jeff N