Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first post. not much info. sounds a bit panicked. too much to consider with not enough detail.

if it makes you feel any better i had to limp to a supercharger last night just so i could plug in at 110v overnight and have enough to get me to work/back the next day. that was fun.

• Funny
Reactions: BZM3
I have 250 amp plug and I am using Tesla charger but I am setting only 7 mph. I used to get 30-35 mph last week but it now dropped to only 7 mph?? What can I do ??
I assume that you made an error when you stated you have a “250 amp plug”. That is not possible in a residence. Did you mean 240 volts and 50 amp?

You need to verify the amps at the plug, as there may be a problem. Have a qualified electrician check it out.

Check the easiest thing first... Make sure your charge current on the charging screen didn't get reset to a lower number.

Yes, check this. I charge on a 14-50 with the mobile charger. Recently when I upgraded to 2019.36.2.1 my max amps setting was defaulted down to 5 amps. I had to manually reset max amps to 32 to match my mobile charger and everything was normal again.

I have 250 amp plug and I am using Tesla charger but I am setting only 7 mph. I used to get 30-35 mph last week but it now dropped to only 7 mph?? What can I do ??

You are in Florida so the temperatures lately shouldn't be doing this. On the charging screen check to see where it says the charge rate in amps, what is the "x / x" I suspect that the Amp setting on the lower left of the charging screen has been changed to lower than what it should be at.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
when you switch the battery range indicator from Miles to Percentage on the display, the Charging Rate also changes from Miles to KwH charging rate. 30 Miles per hour charging rate is roughly equivalent to a 6-7 KwH charging rate.... Those are the figures I see at my home charger. So maybe he is confusing those numbers not realizing the change in metrics. Given those two figures match up almost exactly, I believe my inference to be a reasonable one?.... but thanks for the ALL CAPS response!

Last edited:
when you switch the battery range indicator from Miles to Percentage on the display, the Charging Rate also changes from Miles to KwH charging rate. 30 Miles per hour charging rate is roughly equivalent to a 6-7 KwH charging rate.... Those are the figures I see at my home charger. So maybe he is confusing those numbers not realizing the change in metrics. Given those two figures match up almost exactly, I believe my inference to be a reasonable one?.... but thanks for the ALL CAPS response!
Besides saying "kW" twice for your units, I think you figured this out. I have seen this exact thing on this forum from a few new owners. They see just the number by itself and somehow completely miss that the units after it have changed. And it has gone from a 30-ish miles per hour charging rate to a 7 kiloWatts charging rate, which are actually the same thing, but in different formats.

Reactions: BZM3
LBHNUAD.png