Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Regen mode coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bigger question in my mind is why they don’t provide regen-integrated foot braking in addition to fixed levels of off-accelerator pedal regen?
Even GM’s EV1 had this feature while I think the MiniE is the only current EV in addition to Tesla that doesn’t.

Reactions: E90alex
How is this different than regen being on all the time?
In blended braking systems, the brake pedal uses regen to stop the car until requested deceleration exceeds regen capacity, at which point it blends in friction brakes. Most other hybrids and EVs have brake pedals that operate this way.

No difference in terms of efficiency, just allows for the benefits regen without being forced into one pedal driving. That way you can have throttle liftoff coasting instead of being forced to regen, which some say maximizing coasting is best for efficiency versus only accelerating and regenning.

And of course some may prefer the familiarity of two pedal driving vs one pedal.

... No difference in terms of efficiency, just allows for the benefits regen without being forced into one pedal driving. That way you can have throttle lift-off coasting instead of being forced to regen, which some say maximizing coasting is best for efficiency versus only accelerating and regenning. ...
Thanks for responding to that for me! I'll add that regen can incur losses of up to 30% (two trips through the motor, inverter and battery) so inadvertent regen such as over-using the "rubber-band" effect or just lifting off the accelerator momentarily to adjust one's foot is not ideal for top efficiency. With a steady foot however there should not be any difference ... in theory.

Due to the lack of integrated braking capability Tesla had to come up with a way of discouraging the driver from using the foot brake and one-pedal is that solution, essentially free as it's all done in software. But it seems it's not ideal for every situation. I would have thought integrated braking will eventually appear as consumers will expect the same options they get on other EVs.

Reactions: WyoDude
Yup, it's back with update 2023.12.8. Info from notateslaap.
Screenshot_20230510_160141_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I have an August, 2021 built MYP and after downloading 2023.12.9 last night, it didn’t get regen adjustment, just “Minor fixes”.

It’s not a big deal since I’ve been able to adjust regen using S3XY buttons to a much greater degree, but I do wonder which older cars are getting regen adjustment. I thought older cars than mine had regen adjustment to begin with, so maybe just early to mid 2021 cars got it with 12.8/12.9?

I don't think it ever happened. A rumour that turned into a story that turned into a supposed fact thats now been backed away from with some poor excuse. Not the first time its happened. it won;t be the last..

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex