Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOW VIN!!! Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with @cfttester. Why some of this vehicles still have not been sold even tho there is really high demand on both sides. Tesla was trying to sell as many cars as possible by end of Sep and a lot of customers were waiting to get car for past couple of years.

I understand they built some inventory cars back in June/July, but I would assume that they would have sold those by now. I mean they did have that walk-in sale at freemont few months ago.

Understandable. Sales/Delivery logistics are still being worked out. Obviously has not been a bright spot for us. I can only relate to what I see, and that’s battery production, and occasional follow up on battery packs once they’re in vehicles. Q4 has some focus that will help streamline some of these issues.

Hold fast, you’ll find your car and you’ll be happy with it.

Another Update - we were able to take delivery on 09/28 at 7:15 pm.
No major body work or paint issues.
I was told to make a list of things that we'd like SC to take a look at and email it to the SC within the next 72 hours.
Currently working on scheduling an apt for next week.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
We take delivery (hopefully) on 9/28 for metallic blue LR black interior. VIN is 31,xxx so it’s low too. This is a 2nd Model 3, the first was delivered in January and was in 7xxx range. Will wait to see if there are any issues but Tesla fixed all I had with the 7xxx in January. Once we get it I will update what the born date is for the 31,xxx and any issues
I have a 20k and there’s no issues. It’s even better than the later dates where they started the tent business.

• Love
Reactions: RBowen and neroden
Our 31,xxx vin that we picked up on 10/3 has no issues as all! It was manufactured in June but has the plush back seats and has the “reddish” color glass roof when wet. So we actually preferred this. We also own a 2,8xx manufactured in Dec 2017 and delivered in January 2018. Love both cars. I would not worry so much and if you do find an issue as I did on my 2,8xx vin they fixed it right away.

My car delivered 4/26/18 with VIN 179xx has been problem free including a 3,500 mile road trip this summer and still looks like new. It has ten 2 front seats but get 1 back seat (at some point I may replace the back seat to a ken 2). It has the orange glass.

They matched me with a MSM RWD with a 40xxx VIN. This is around the time when the VINs stopped matching production date, ~June or later. I will accept this VIN.

I don't know how much longer I can take this. I've been really patient and understanding up until now. They just notified me that my delivery is cancelled due to an airbag sensor warning. Now the VIN is gone from my account. That was the 4th reschedule (2nd on this VIN). I want Tesla to succeed as much as an other EV enthusiast, but I don't think I'll ever do business with Tesla ever again. At this point, I'd rather buy from a GM dealer if they had a competitive vehicle.

• Informative
Yes. Make sure the car is designated as New in MVPA.
Ask for manufacturing date from the Monroney Sticker
Thank you. I'm near Fremont where the car was built. I just wondered why it took them so long for a June build to deliver in Oct. It could be a defect re-built one. Oh...well. I have been waiting since I placed my order in June and paid $3500.

Our 31,xxx vin that we picked up on 10/3 has no issues as all! It was manufactured in June but has the plush back seats and has the “reddish” color glass roof when wet. So we actually preferred this. We also own a 2,8xx manufactured in Dec 2017 and delivered in January 2018. Love both cars. I would not worry so much and if you do find an issue as I did on my 2,8xx vin they fixed it right away.
Thank you. From Troy's spreadsheet, I do see VIN 36xxx are pretty much June builds. My VIN is likely to be June as well. I just wondered why it took so long for them to deliver in Oct. I'm in the Bay Area.

Thank you. From Troy's spreadsheet, I do see VIN 36xxx are pretty much June builds. My VIN is likely to be June as well. I just wondered why it took so long for them to deliver in Oct. I'm in the Bay Area.
I’d ask for Monroney and if the build date is in June... would refuse the delivery. Unless, of course, sails droid clearly stated the car is the rework and you are 100% OK with it

• Helpful
Reactions: Shizzrock

Just so you know, only using the VIN as an indicator of build date is incorrect. Cars are not built sequentially. I’ve literally witnessed a 65xxx and a 104xxx car on the production line back to back. VINs are assigned in batches, each VIN can be a different designation or trim. The batches of cars built at one time are all of the same trim. Various VINs in no order flowing down the production line. Same thing happens for Performance, Dual, RWD. I’ve not seen GA1 or GA2, so I can’t soeak if S/X are done the same way.

Just so you know, only using the VIN as an indicator of build date is incorrect. Cars are not built sequentially. I’ve literally witnessed a 65xxx and a 104xxx car on the production line back to back. VINs are assigned in batches, each VIN can be a different designation or trim. The batches of cars built at one time are all of the same trim. Various VINs in no order flowing down the production line. Same thing happens for Performance, Dual, RWD. I’ve not seen GA1 or GA2, so I can’t soeak if S/X are done the same way.
You are right. On the other hand, I also read in other threads that for Model 3, VINs below 50k are pretty much linear

They were not. Mine is 207xx, when I was assigned my VIN, there were already people reporting VINs in the 30s. I picked up my car in May and car was manufactured in May. Naturally, the spreads were smaller as production was lower.

I see.

One of the reason I was concerned was, as I recall, the Tesla person who called me said "we located a Model 3 VIN that matches your configuration...". He didn't give me the VIN number until I asked him. He also said the VIN should show up in MyTesla account 7 days before delivery, so I should be able to see the the update on my account also. I told him that the VIN number seemed to low and asked him whether he can tell me which month the car was made. He said he did not have that info but he was sure I would be the first owner.