Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering "next generation" seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 6' 5" and have lowered my "next generation" seats as far as possible, but still hit the side of my head on the ceiling next to the sunroof. The only option I have is to lean the seat back/move it back to a point where I am completely uncomfortable. Has anyone seen or heard of a way to lower the seat beyond what the car allows? I am going to reach out to a near by shop to see if they can figure out a way to do it, but thought I would ask on here.

My issue with the seat not moving low enough isn't related to moving the seat back or reclining the seatback.

My issue is that with the seat at its lowest, and the steering wheel at its highest, my thighs barely squeeze through the space so I can make it into the seat.

I guess the Model S is designed for chicken-legged folks.

I'm 6'4 athletic built and would love some leg room and head room. My hair kind of brushes the top with the pano roof when I test drove. I checked extendmyseat.com but nothing...... I wonder if there is shop that can custom make a solution without making the car unsafe incase of an accident.

I'm in tune with TJunkers. 6'3" so not quite as tall, but my head still touches the ceiling at the side of the Pano roof. I'm awaiting delivery of my ludicrous model S, but decided to spec it with the Vegan seats as these seem to be slightly less bulky than the next gen seats and I think they'll provide about 3/4 inch more headroom. It's a bit of a gamble because I wasn't able to test drive a model S with the Vegan seats - I'm just going by spec sheets and images.
When it arrives, if I'm still tight for headroom, I was thinking of taking it to a local customizer to see of anything can be done with the mechanism to bring the seat down a bit. Failing that, I may have to go for re-upholstering.
I did read on another forum that someone had Tesla take some of the base springs out of their Next Gens as they found the cushioning too firm and this had the side effect of making them a bit lower too.

Add me to the list. I'm only 6' but have a long torso so I also have to lean the seat back much more than I'd like to not brush the headliner. Would be great if they could lower the seat an inch or two as one of their 20 weekly improvements...

No issues in the Model X, though - had around 4" of headroom.

OK you guys got me curious since I'm 6' 7"... went out and tested this morning...with my next gen seats in normal driving position (as low and aft as possible) My head/hair can't touch the ceiling next to the pano roof unless my shoulder is against the pillar, which is not my normal driving position at all...I guess it comes down to personal comfortable driving position, hairstyle, and maybe throw in some proportions, although mine are pretty even... Anyway I can't help you TJunkers...no issues here.:smile:

I'm in tune with TJunkers. 6'3" so not quite as tall, but my head still touches the ceiling at the side of the Pano roof. I'm awaiting delivery of my ludicrous model S, but decided to spec it with the Vegan seats as these seem to be slightly less bulky than the next gen seats and I think they'll provide about 3/4 inch more headroom. It's a bit of a gamble because I wasn't able to test drive a model S with the Vegan seats - I'm just going by spec sheets and images.
When it arrives, if I'm still tight for headroom, I was thinking of taking it to a local customizer to see of anything can be done with the mechanism to bring the seat down a bit. Failing that, I may have to go for re-upholstering.
I did read on another forum that someone had Tesla take some of the base springs out of their Next Gens as they found the cushioning too firm and this had the side effect of making them a bit lower too.

You will love your new seats - they are significantly lower than the next-gen...much more than 3/4". I was really shocked how much higher the next gen seats sit.