Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mpt, you're M looks on point with the drop and spacers, great job.

A few questions:
1. Can you please provide a full on side shot of the car from a bit further back to see how the wheel gap looks from a distance?

2. Was the drop of 1" from stock accurate for the Tsportline springs? I know there was some talk that these springs might actually be rebranded Eibach springs which are supposed to have a 1.2" drop so just curious.

3. Would you say the ride is actually softer or harder now vs stock? How about vs the UP moderate springs you had previously?

4. Simarly, what are your thoughts performance wise for all 3? I agree the moderate springs are a bit too low for a daily driver though.

5. Any issues with install? Sounds like some folks had issues installing the UP Moderate springs so hoping these were easier to deal with.

Basically, wondering if the ride and look of the tsportline springs are what I would want or whether I should wait to see how reviews for the Eibachs in development compare.

Reactions: dgaultiere and mpt
@MountainPass I am considering switching over to your comfort coilovers from Unplugged springs. I am finding limited travel in suspension is making the ride too harsh and the Unplugged springs to big of a drop.

Couples of quick questions
1) with the coilovers, is it necessary to replace the camber arms and toe arms? Wouldn’t the camber suffice?
2) what is your recommended drop to reduce wheel gap.,..i read that you are recommending a 30-35mm drop in ride height..which would equate to 1.2 in drop—is that correct?
3). Please provide your recommended spacer thickness

Any other recommendations to allow for a lowered car, but with a softer ride for city driving with not so smooth roads?

Thanks

We'd be happy to get you a set of comfort coilovers! Thanks for thinking of us.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, camber would suffice. Nothing is necessary, but one of the features of our arms are the solid spherical bearings that really help tighten up the back of the car. Fewer rubber bushings = a more direct feeling chassis.

2) It's so difficult to say as it seems the ride height of Model 3's varies to some degree. There is the early suspension / late suspension, manufacturing variation, and possibly even another spring change since then. We usually suggest measuring battery height to see where you're at. ~115mm battery height seems to be a nice daily driver height, and that is about a two finger gap front and rear.

The target range of our coilovers is from 95mm to 140mm battery height with an OE diameter tire. Factory ride height seems to be roughly between 140-155mm on the cars we've checked.

3) We've got a big spacer test coming soon where we will be plotting efficiency vs spacer thickness. We will publish that data along with photos so that people can make an educated decision. We may or may not sell our own spacers, but at least we think people should know the kind of efficiency affect they are having on their car by poking the wheels out too far :)

Just installed my TSportline springs and added 15mm spacers from BLOX Sport. Looking good?

I think it's just the right amount of drop plus offset to balance it.

View attachment 316666 View attachment 316667 View attachment 316668
Just installed my TSportline springs and added 15mm spacers from BLOX Sport. Looking good?

I think it's just the right amount of drop plus offset to balance it.

View attachment 316666 View attachment 316667 View attachment 316668

@Rlee21 Picture below. I don't think that I made a measurement but you can see in post Lowering the Model 3 where I show stock, unplugged and TSportline. One thing I wondered though, when I looked at the stock car, I thought the front was too high, the rear, kind of OK, so much so, I nearly asked the installer to just fit the fronts however, the net result with both is, I think, balanced and the rears don't look too low - which was my main issue with the Unplugged Moderates. TSportline says 1" all round but if asked, I'd say that the rears are less affected than the fronts, I 'guestimate' that the fronts were dropt 1.2" and the rears 0.8" - that's a total guess though. If someone wants to scale the images, we could extrapolate that.

After a morning of driving on the TSportline on highway, new & old tarmac, on virtually unmade roads and fast dual-carriageway, I'm happier than ever, the ride is really good, better than stock, it's changed from Audi S4 to BMW M3, which is to say, from a bit firm and often bouncy to compliant yet un-rufflable. Very happy!

The install was tough. The springs are very solid, my installer had to purchase a more powerful spring compressor to deal with them safely!

@SPYN2NR Lugs were no issue at all, the factory wheels (like most) have a void between the lugs to save weight, that void is 18mm deep and the studs are 26mm so, any spacer of 10mm or more should be free and clear.

TSportline Lowered Side 1.jpg

@Rlee21 Picture below. I don't think that I made a measurement but you can see in post Lowering the Model 3 where I show stock, unplugged and TSportline. One thing I wondered though, when I looked at the stock car, I thought the front was too high, the rear, kind of OK, so much so, I nearly asked the installer to just fit the fronts however, the net result with both is, I think, balanced and the rears don't look too low - which was my main issue with the Unplugged Moderates. TSportline says 1" all round but if asked, I'd say that the rears are less affected than the fronts, I 'guestimate' that the fronts were dropt 1.2" and the rears 0.8" - that's a total guess though. If someone wants to scale the images, we could extrapolate that.

After a morning of driving on the TSportline on highway, new & old tarmac, on virtually unmade roads and fast dual-carriageway, I'm happier than ever, the ride is really good, better than stock, it's changed from Audi S4 to BMW M3, which is to say, from a bit firm and often bouncy to compliant yet un-rufflable. Very happy!

The install was tough. The springs are very solid, my installer had to purchase a more powerful spring compressor to deal with them safely!

@SPYN2NR Lugs were no issue at all, the factory wheels (like most) have a void between the lugs to save weight, that void is 18mm deep and the studs are 26mm so, any spacer of 10mm or more should be free and clear.

View attachment 316867

@mpt,

Let me tell you....from all I’ve seen THIS looks SPOT ON as far as drop and ride height. I couldn’t get past the “junk in the trunk” look on the UP Moderates. Now then....based on your review on both ride height but more specifically comfort....I’m sold on TSs over the UPs....now just trying to decide on MPPs coilovers vs the TSs! (Albeit l’ll be going with the full 20” PU Sports)!

Ski

View attachment 316867
MPT - thanks for the info on the lug issue. I’m going to remove one of my stock 18” wheels and see if they’re just like your sport 19’s....

Reactions: mpt
I am also interested in options for spacers on the 18" stock wheels. I measure 20 mm to make the rear wheels flush with the outside of the body and 14 mm for the fronts.

I only measured the rear wheel but the wheels are all the same, I don't expect they used longer studs on the front.
The studs measured 26 mm on average (one was 26.4 mm) off the mounting surface and the recess in the back of the wheel is 17 mm. A 10 mm spacer would work allowing for tolerances.

18_ wheel_1.jpg
18_ wheel_2.jpg

View attachment 316867

Your profile view looks just about perfect! Super even all the way around. Basically how our M3 should have been from the factory if it were truly a performance sports sedan.

Thanks a bunch for all the info and feedback mpt, sounds like the Tsportsline springs are the ones I'll be getting then.

Reactions: dgaultiere and mpt
Hello,
Just placed my order for the TSportline lowering springs and will be picking it up locally tomorrow.
Do you guys know of a reasonably price installer in the socal area?
Live at 90039 and work at 90067. Anything close to work or home will work.
They wanted $700 for the install which I thought was a bit steep.
Thanks

@mpt First of all your car looks amazing. I echo what others have said – this is the first Model 3 that looks “right”. The wheel gaps are tight and sporty, but not too low, and totally even front/rear. Very excited to see this and probably will be ordering my own set soon!

I’m also really glad to see your results with the spacers. I’ve been hoping to do something similar with my 19s. I did some measurements and was concerned that anything over 20mm rear and 10mm front would rub over big bumps. Have you tested this?

Lastly, can you confirm which spacer sizes you used front and rear?

Edit: looking at the BLOX sport website it seems they only have spacer options for specific vehicles. Did you contact them to place a custom order?

Last edited:
@dgaultiere Thanks, I've driven about 100 miles over all terranes at low and high speed. Clearance appears to be fine, no rubbing. Others have upped the width of the wheel a lot and not experienced issues that they've reported. With 15mm I think the front is probably as far as it should go with comfortable margins but the rears could take another 5mm easily I think. The wheels do tilt inward as the suspension compresses.

Regarding the spacers, I ordered them by emailing their customer service after filing in the custom order. Long-Story-Short, US Manufacturers like H&R either didn't respond, said they didn't do Model 3 or wanted a huge premium for a special order and even more for a rush! BLOX were excited to make them and produced fantastic quality parts in a couple of days!

Here's the spec: 2 pairs of: 7075T6 PCD 5x114.3 CB64.1, Bolt thread: M14x1.5, Thickness :15mm. That's 4pieces (2Pcs in a Pair).

email Sandy Qin at [email protected] and mention Michael Thwaite's order to jog her memory!

@dgaultiere Thanks, I've driven about 100 miles over all terranes at low and high speed. Clearance appears to be fine, no rubbing. Others have upped the width of the wheel a lot and not experienced issues that they've reported. With 15mm I think the front is probably as far as it should go with comfortable margins but the rears could take another 5mm easily I think. The wheels do tilt inward as the suspension compresses.

Regarding the spacers, I ordered them by emailing their customer service after filing in the custom order. Long-Story-Short, US Manufacturers like H&R either didn't respond, said they didn't do Model 3 or wanted a huge premium for a special order and even more for a rush! BLOX were excited to make them and produced fantastic quality parts in a couple of days!

Here's the spec: 2 pairs of: 7075T6 PCD 5x114.3 CB64.1, Bolt thread: M14x1.5, Thickness :15mm. That's 4pieces (2Pcs in a Pair).

email Sandy Qin at [email protected] and mention Michael Thwaite's order to jog her memory!
You mind sharing how much the spacers run you?

Thanks! Do you know if they make a slightly narrower spacer with the extended lugs in it? I'm thinking of something like 12mm front and 20mm rear...

I live close to "Bronson" (usadapters.com) in San Bernardino. I stopped by today and discussed what I wanted to do.

First thing I want to say is these guys, and Angela know their stuff, very informative. They make all the the adapters in house. I saw the machine shop, very busy, first class operation. Their turn around is usually one day on custom orders so I will have pics to share by the end of the week.

I am getting 20 mm hub concentric on the rear,(2) = $130.99 and 10 mm hub concentric (2) $99.99 for the fronts. The fronts will not have studs built in because of the thickness so I have a few options. When I get it worked out I will report back.