Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Springs are all looking to be in the < $400 range, whereas the coilovers are going to be $1800+. The advantage of the springs is the cost. The advantage of the coilovers is that you can dial in the exact height that you want, and in some cases, adjust both the rebound and compression.

Another huge advantage of coilovers is that you are matching the spring rate to the dampening in the shock. If you just replace your springs, you are likely running a spring rate that wasn't tuned to work with your shock/damper and won't give the best results.

You can also run a much higher spring rate with the right dampers which will give you more performance on the track (if you're into that sort of thing).

Reactions: SD_Engnr
@MountainPass Since we're on the subject of lowering the car, do you guys have any data on how lowering the car affects things like roll center and bump steer? Any plans for new knuckles or something else like that :)

We have tested bump steer correction but it isn't at the top of our development list, as the installation process is a bit more difficult than we would like our products be. The suspension geometry of the Model 3 is very good as well, so the necessity isn't there like the rear camber arms!

We have tested bump steer correction but it isn't at the top of our development list, as the installation process is a bit more difficult than we would like our products be. The suspension geometry of the Model 3 is very good as well, so the necessity isn't there like the rear camber arms!

Sweet, thanks for the info. What makes the rear camber arms such a necessity? Does that geometry change significantly when you go lower or you just want to put more camber into it and need adjustability?

Lowered my Model 3 last week....the ride is very nice....not bumpy at all...like stock to me...but much better. Thanks AntSpec.

Also ordered a set of Bloxsport spacers...will be installing 25mm front and 30mm rears.

Will also be having my calipers painted this weekend too.

Thanks to AntSpec purchased and had them installed for me...they located in Fountain Valley.
Lowered my Model 3 last week....the ride is very nice....not bumpy at all...like stock to me...but much better. Thanks AntSpec.

Also ordered a set of Bloxsport spacers...will be installing 25mm front and 30mm rears.

Will also be having my calipers painted this weekend too.

Thanks to AntSpec purchased and had them installed for me...they located in Fountain Valley.

Do you have any updated current pics with the 30mm rear and 25mm rear. I just spoke with antspec and he sent me the link for the BLOX 30/25s. Talked to the seller and they said it should come within 5 days. Looking to get the eibachs + Blox spacers installed just like yours and want to see what it looks like with the offsets from the back and from an angle.

Thanks!

Just got mine dropped with TSportline Springs (1 inch drop)

• Installed at Auto Talent in Gardena, CA (Auto Talent - Gardena, CA)
• Price: $325 OTD
• 3-4 hours for install
• Contact Justin for details (If you want to mention me that would be great)

For those who might ask – here are the other mods I've done:
• Full front PPF (3M Scotch Guard)
• Ceramic Coating entire car (Ceramic Pro 9H) - 5 year warranty
• 35% All around Suntek CIR (Ceramic Tint)
• Front Windshield 70%
• Gloss Pearl White - color match painted 19" Stock Wheels
• Red Calipers with Tesla decal
• Front/Rear red emblem decals

View attachment 336684

Wow, that looks amazing.

May I ask how your daily drive feels with these new springs?

I'm looking to lower my M3 LR RWD but to keep some space since I usually have family riding in the back.

So far, between UP Mild and TSport, the latter seems to be having less issues plus it kinda got recommended to me by some tesla ppl haha.

Any feedback would be appreciated and happy holidays everyone =)

Wow, that looks amazing.

May I ask how your daily drive feels with these new springs?

I'm looking to lower my M3 LR RWD but to keep some space since I usually have family riding in the back.

So far, between UP Mild and TSport, the latter seems to be having less issues plus it kinda got recommended to me by some tesla ppl haha.

Any feedback would be appreciated and happy holidays everyone =)

Thanks! I'm happy to give you my experience with the springs after 5,000 miles.

Daily driving feels very much like stock springs but less body rolls and the wheel gap looks way better than stock.
I have no issues with the springs and I can still drive normal without the need to angle at steep driveways with clearance with curbs.

I would definitely recommend going with TSportline springs, I can't speak not he UP Mild. Hope this helps and Happy Holidays as well!

• Informative
Reactions: AEG18 and tracksyde
Thanks! I'm happy to give you my experience with the springs after 5,000 miles.

Daily driving feels very much like stock springs but less body rolls and the wheel gap looks way better than stock.
I have no issues with the springs and I can still drive normal without the need to angle at steep driveways with clearance with curbs.

I would definitely recommend going with TSportline springs, I can't speak not he UP Mild. Hope this helps and Happy Holidays as well!

Hi there,

I see, thank you for your feedback. Any issues when having 5 people in the car? Kinda afraid of rear clearance when fully loaded hence why reaching out to you and anyone who has UP mild springs as well.

Thank you again for your help. =)

Also, @HelloJohnny , did you use any spacers? Because I'm not quite sure if I need/want those haha.

Based on your feedback, I think I will go ahead and order these TSport springs and have them installed in the same place as you did since I don't know any other place close to AV / Santa Clarita area that has been worked with tesla before. Did you do alignment on your tesla already? and if you did, can you share where did you do it and how much was the bill?

Another quick question, how does the ride feels? I've seen people talking about a stiffer ride but wanted to confirm, not the end of the world but kinda curious about it.

Again, thank you for your help.

@Wizard2416 Here's some answers to your questions:

• 5 people in car - No issues with 5 passengers and rear clearance, just take it slow on speed bumps just in case ;)
• Spacers - The wheels are a bit tucked in stock and with lowering springs, if you don't like the look you can add spacers.
• Alignment - I did get an alignment after driving about 500 miles to let the springs settle. Here is a post about my alignment experience and location in Socal. Alignment @ non Tesla SVC - SoCal & I.E. areas
• Ride quality - It's not too stiff but you do feel more bumps if the road isn't good but overall the ride quality is pretty good compared to my Lexus IS350 FSport.

Hope you choose the springs that best fits your driving habits and enjoy your Model 3! Glad I can help btw.

@Wizard2416 Here's some answers to your questions:

• 5 people in car - No issues with 5 passengers and rear clearance, just take it slow on speed bumps just in case ;)
• Spacers - The wheels are a bit tucked in stock and with lowering springs, if you don't like the look you can add spacers.
• Alignment - I did get an alignment after driving about 500 miles to let the springs settle. Here is a post about my alignment experience and location in Socal. Alignment @ non Tesla SVC - SoCal & I.E. areas
• Ride quality - It's not too stiff but you do feel more bumps if the road isn't good but overall the ride quality is pretty good compared to my Lexus IS350 FSport.

Hope you choose the springs that best fits your driving habits and enjoy your Model 3! Glad I can help btw.

Hello @HelloJohnny ,

Again, thank you for being so helpful. I'm ok with stiffy ride since I got used to it on my previous cars haha. Any noticeable increase on cabin noise? Also, how's your range now, any noticeable decrease in range?

I have a multicoat red with red calipers, gonna get my 19'' stock wheels coated in metallic gray early january and I'll add these Tsport springs on my list of modifications for January then I will get the red vegan leather seats (with black 3 logo).

Thank you for your comments and sharing your experience.

Anyone have a recommended installer and aligned in Austin Texas?

Also, deciding between Tsport and Unplugged (Moderate) springs. I want fairly similar to factory ride, just doing this for aesthetics. Any input?

Thanks
Maybe consider Eibach as well. So far, seems Eibach may have the most experience in suspension springs of the available options for the TM3. I haven't installed mine yet (sitting in garage until after winter) but have used them in previous cars. If anything, I found the last eibach pro-kit set I used in my BMW was a bit too plush but I think that comfort level vs handling should be exactly what I'm looking for for the TM3. I also considered Unplugged moderate but too low overall for what I want. Plus several cars I've seen have a bit of a reverse rake which is a bit off-putting. As for the tsportline, the 1" drop seems just a hair not enough and the 1.2" for the Eibach seems to be the goldilocks choice.

Maybe consider Eibach as well. So far, seems Eibach may have the most experience in suspension springs of the available options for the TM3. I haven't installed mine yet (sitting in garage until after winter) but have used them in previous cars. If anything, I found the last eibach pro-kit set I used in my BMW was a bit too plush but I think that comfort level vs handling should be exactly what I'm looking for for the TM3. I also considered Unplugged moderate but too low overall for what I want. Plus several cars I've seen have a bit of a reverse rake which is a bit off-putting. As for the tsportline, the 1" drop seems just a hair not enough and the 1.2" for the Eibach seems to be the goldilocks choice.

I agree, I’d love to go Eibach. However, it says they’re designed for the LR RWD. Given that UP and Tsport make different springs for different models makes me reserved about the Eibachs.

I agree, I’d love to go Eibach. However, it says they’re designed for the LR RWD. Given that UP and Tsport make different springs for different models makes me reserved about the Eibachs.

I think I'll go with the UP mild since they can install their products plus it seems quite good for me.

Then again, for some reason, most of ppl at Tesla from different locations kinda recommend me TSport lol. Also, I was told today that air suspension is coming as an added option for TM3 next year.

The only car I have ever seen that NEEDS lowering springs are Dodge Neons. That all came from the factory with the "ass-in-the-air" look. I never did like that, but it was easy enough to go to the local auto parts store and get a cheap kit of bolts and brackets that pull a couple coils of the rear springs together and lower the car like that to a more normal looking stance.
My first car was a Neon, I agree with you! The back end was ridiculously high up.