Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD to P3D: Initial thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@COM3 how has road noise been and efficiency? also you planning to stick with the 20" wheels or are you thinking about going to 19" (or smaller) aftermarkets?

Road noise is less, but I think that's just because of the better build quality on the new car. I don't really watch efficiency, but I imagine it's worse on the P3 because I mash the pedal more. :D

I'll keep the stock 20s (love them now that they're powdercoated). Not sure yet if I'll get a pair of 19s for winter yet or not.

Road noise is less, but I think that's just because of the better build quality on the new car. I don't really watch efficiency, but I imagine it's worse on the P3 because I mash the pedal more. :D

I'll keep the stock 20s (love them now that they're powdercoated). Not sure yet if I'll get a pair of 19s for winter yet or not.
Your ride and noise improvements are due to the tires. I just put P4S on my LR AWD 19s and the ride is noticeably better, along with better handling and less road noise.

I was going to do the same exact thing but Tesla wanted to give me 39k trade in for a 51k car and I only had 200 miles on it....what a joke.

You do not want to even get a trade in value from Tesla. They offered me half off a 6 month old car at the time with 5k miles on it... WTF kind of deprecation is that.

I have a 4-week old LR AWD and regret not getting the P. I have contacted multiple OAs to see if there was a way to get into a P by end of quarter, and nobody seems to want to even try to make it work. My trade-in offer from Tesla was $13k less than what I paid a month ago. Car has 1500 miles on it. Their inventory cars with the same amount of miles get price adjustments of around $1200.

I thought maybe with Elon pushing to go "all out" to reach delivery goals this quarter that I may have a shot. Guess I'll keep holding out hope for a software upgrade. That's my preferred path anyway as I don't want 20" wheels and bigger brake calipers.

I have a 4-week old LR AWD and regret not getting the P. I have contacted multiple OAs to see if there was a way to get into a P by end of quarter, and nobody seems to want to even try to make it work. My trade-in offer from Tesla was $13k less than what I paid a month ago. Car has 1500 miles on it. Their inventory cars with the same amount of miles get price adjustments of around $1200.

I thought maybe with Elon pushing to go "all out" to reach delivery goals this quarter that I may have a shot. Guess I'll keep holding out hope for a software upgrade. That's my preferred path anyway as I don't want 20" wheels and bigger brake calipers.

Yeah, Tesla has made it clear with their trade-in offers that they do not want to buy their cars back. You can get a price from Carmax and see if they would come up. Just hard to pass up all the sales tax savings you get by trading it.

Reactions: super20g
Your ride and noise improvements are due to the tires. I just put P4S on my LR AWD 19s and the ride is noticeably better, along with better handling and less road noise.

That may be part of it, but it's certainly not all of it. Most of the noise I'm referring to was wind noise coming from the windshield. I also had two different pairs of tires on my LR (stock and Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus), and while the Pilot Sports were slightly quieter and definitely handled better, they did nothing for wind noise from the windshield. ;)

I also get less "chatter" when going over bumps with the P3 suspension.

That may be part of it, but it's certainly not all of it. Most of the noise I'm referring to was wind noise coming from the windshield. I also had two different pairs of tires on my LR (stock and Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus), and while the Pilot Sports were slightly quieter and definitely handled better, they did nothing for wind noise from the windshield. ;)

I also get less "chatter" when going over bumps with the P3 suspension.
Yeah I don't get any chatter so I'm guessing that is build quality improvements.

I actually did the same trade-in. I owned a LR AWD for about 6 months and every day I kept dreaming of the M3P+.

I finally bit the bullet and traded in my LR AWD (similar setup to the OP's: Pearl White but with 19s) and haven't regretted getting the Performance. I could see first hand that Tesla is really trying to improve their quality on their cars. I had the old and the new side by side and compared panel gaps, paint defects, fit and finish detail. The VINs are about 300xxx apart and my new Performance has much better panel gaps, and symmetry overall compared to my old AWD.

I actually did the same trade-in. I owned a LR AWD for about 6 months and every day I kept dreaming of the M3P+.

I finally bit the bullet and traded in my LR AWD (similar setup to the OP's: Pearl White but with 19s) and haven't regretted getting the Performance. I could see first hand that Tesla is really trying to improve their quality on their cars. I had the old and the new side by side and compared panel gaps, paint defects, fit and finish detail. The VINs are about 300xxx apart and my new Performance has much better panel gaps, and symmetry overall compared to my old AWD.

How noticeable is the difference between the Performance and the LR AWD?

How noticeable is the difference between the Performance and the LR AWD?

Visually the Performance has the spoiler, bigger brakes, and bigger wheels. To me, the 20" wheels suits the Model 3 much better than the 19s and closes the wheel gap a bit (although I really do think all Model 3s need a drop to be proportional).

Functionally, It’s noticeable in the initial punch when you hit the accelerator from 0 or from low speeds. It doesn't give you the sick feeling you get from Ludicrous on a Model S, but it still pushes your head against the headrest, which I didn't get from the AWD, even when my foot was to the floor.

At high speeds, its much more difficult to differentiate between the the AWD and Performance.

Reactions: raptor5244
Visually the Performance has the spoiler, bigger brakes, and bigger wheels. To me, the 20" wheels suits the Model 3 much better than the 19s and closes the wheel gap a bit (although I really do think all Model 3s need a drop to be proportional).

Functionally, It’s noticeable in the initial punch when you hit the accelerator from 0 or from low speeds. It doesn't give you the sick feeling you get from Ludicrous on a Model S, but it still pushes your head against the headrest, which I didn't get from the AWD, even when my foot was to the floor.

At high speeds, its much more difficult to differentiate between the the AWD and Performance.

Agreed. I feel like the throttle response is better on the 3P. Like it is map differently than the SR and AWD.

Agreed. I feel like the throttle response is better on the 3P. Like it is map differently than the SR and AWD.

Yeah exactly. I think you're right that Tesla should offer some performance parts like sway bars, better suspension, different wheels, etc. I'm hoping as the car evolves, features get unlocked. Its already unbelievable that initially the Performance was rate 3.5 seconds from 0-60 and they shaved it down to 3.2. I've read elsewhere that the car is even more capable and could hit flat 3s if Tesla wanted to but it is software locked. Could be a way for them to differentiate from the S and the X.

I'm hoping as the car evolves, features get unlocked. Its already unbelievable that initially the Performance was rate 3.5 seconds from 0-60 and they shaved it down to 3.2.

Yeah, they didn't though.

It was 3.3 in the first place. The software updated it to 3.2.

The 3.5 was only becuase Tesla had (apparently by accident) finally been honest and consistent in the way they list 0-60 times... but then they noticed and went back to being deceptive and inconsistent.

(if you want the longer version- see below)

For the S (and X AFAIK) they listed P 0-60 times with 1 foot rollout....while they didn't do that for non-P models- which is dishonest and deceptive- every other car maker I'm aware of uses the same method for all their cars to be consistent.... initially for the 3 they listed ALL cars without rollout... so 3.5 for the P, 4.5 for the AWD, 5.1 for the RWD.

Actual car magazines (who always test with rollout) were getting as you'd expect 2-3 tenths better across the board for those.

After a bit they decided to go back to dishonestly, and magically the P became 3.3 overnight- with literally no change to the car or the software- just the listing in the specs

They doubled-down on this with the "5% power bump" update... originally not even changing the listed AWD time at all but knocking .1 off the P. Eventually they got SLIGHTLY less dishonest and knocked .1 off the AWD.

But turns out once magazine testing happened, Tesla was being even more dishonest than before.

The AWD runs 4 flat now with rollout. The P runs 3.2.

Only 0.8 seconds difference... versus the 1.2s difference the website claims today (versus the 1.1 it claimed before the software update- or the 1.0 it claimed before they began being dishonest about the 3P)

Reactions: phantasms
mind blown
Yeah, they didn't though.

It was 3.3 in the first place. The software updated it to 3.2.

The 3.5 was only becuase Tesla had (apparently by accident) finally been honest and consistent in the way they list 0-60 times... but then they noticed and went back to being deceptive and inconsistent.

(if you want the longer version- see below)

For the S (and X AFAIK) they listed P 0-60 times with 1 foot rollout....while they didn't do that for non-P models- which is dishonest and deceptive- every other car maker I'm aware of uses the same method for all their cars to be consistent.... initially for the 3 they listed ALL cars without rollout... so 3.5 for the P, 4.5 for the AWD, 5.1 for the RWD.

Actual car magazines (who always test with rollout) were getting as you'd expect 2-3 tenths better across the board for those.

After a bit they decided to go back to dishonestly, and magically the P became 3.3 overnight- with literally no change to the car or the software- just the listing in the specs

They doubled-down on this with the "5% power bump" update... originally not even changing the listed AWD time at all but knocking .1 off the P. Eventually they got SLIGHTLY less dishonest and knocked .1 off the AWD.

But turns out once magazine testing happened, Tesla was being even more dishonest than before.

The AWD runs 4 flat now with rollout. The P runs 3.2.

Only 0.8 seconds difference... versus the 1.2s difference the website claims today (versus the 1.1 it claimed before the software update- or the 1.0 it claimed before they began being dishonest about the 3P)

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms