Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR True Range -- Part I, Suppositions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
With EPA testing showing combined cycle range of 335, I've wondered how Tesla handled its down-rate to 310. Three possibilities came to mind:

Hide the "top" of the battery, calling 93% "100%" ... thereby reducing degradation risk from range charging.

Hide the "bottom" of the battery, calling 7% "0%" ... thereby reducing run-dry risk.

Squoosh the space in between, making range miles closer to actual miles ... thereby reducing risk of disappointed owners.
Any or all would seem sensible for a car that must play to a widened audience.

What are your thoughts?

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and T34ME
I would guess that Tesla locked the top end. Once Tesla transitions S/X to the new battery (and new motors?) to create some space between S range and 3 range, I can see Tesla telling 3 owners they can unlock range for an additional $1000 or whatever. Perhaps this is when Elon will also make good on his promise for something extra to DayOne reservation holders.

It all bums me out a bit though; I don't have much interest in hauling around battery weight that isn't able to be put to use via range. I was hopeful that the 3 marketing would say 310, but real-world would be 335. Now, though, it makes more sense to me that Tesla has locked a portion of the 3 capacity in order to protect S sales until the chemistry on S/X gets upgraded.

Squoosh the space in between, making range miles closer to actual miles ... thereby reducing risk of disappointed owners.

I think they did the EPA tests on a dyno without real-world aero. They have a multiplier they use to bring in aero, pavement, and other items into account, however I think they are trying to be conservative to avoid disappointment or provide a middle ground if buyers opt for the 19" wheels.​

I don't have much interest in hauling around battery weight that isn't able to be put to use via range

Please be advised :

The battery state of charge is based on a number of calculated measurements including cell voltages.

All battery systems reserve some voltage at top and bottom of the possible range of voltages.

Tesla does this. It's known as the reserved capacity at top and bottom ranges of voltages.

Therefore, you will always be "carrying around" what you think is useless weight, but is in actual fact useful weight.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Our 2013 S85 has many kWh of battery capacity we've never used, as I've never taken the car below 7% SOC, which itself is quite a bit above the true low voltage of the cells. I don't feel concerned or have any issues with this. Physics.

If I felt so inclined, I might even dislike your post for being overly dramatic.

My guess is Tesla drops the rated range far faster than the actual range, just in case someone needs to drive home at 90mph into rainy 20mph headwinds up a 5000ft mountain.
My guess is Tesla drops the rated range far faster than the actual range, just in case someone needs to drive home at 90mph into rainy 20mph headwinds up a 5000ft mountain.

actually, freezing rain in -40

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq

I think they did the EPA tests on a dyno without real-world aero. They have a multiplier they use to bring in aero, pavement, and other items into account, however I think they are trying to be conservative to avoid disappointment or provide a middle ground if buyers opt for the 19" wheels.​
All EPA tests are on a dyno, but during the test drag is programmed into the wheel rollers based on real-world coast-down test data which includes aero drag.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Please be advised :

The battery state of charge is based on a number of calculated measurements including cell voltages.

All battery systems reserve some voltage at top and bottom of the possible range of voltages.

Tesla does this. It's known as the reserved capacity at top and bottom ranges of voltages.

Therefore, you will always be "carrying around" what you think is useless weight, but is in actual fact useful weight.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Our 2013 S85 has many kWh of battery capacity we've never used, as I've never taken the car below 7% SOC, which itself is quite a bit above the true low voltage of the cells. I don't feel concerned or have any issues with this. Physics.

If I felt so inclined, I might even dislike your post for being overly dramatic.
Dislike away!
My simple point is that if there is capacity there to unlock, I'd like Tesla to allow M3 owners to unlock/make use of it ASAP, rather than disguising it in an effort to prevent MS range from looking too low at present.

Dislike away!
My simple point is that if there is capacity there to unlock, I'd like Tesla to allow M3 owners to unlock/make use of it ASAP, rather than disguising it in an effort to prevent MS range from looking too low at present.

Except that there is no evidence that there is any capacity to unlock. They simply fudged the numbers to report a lower total range, but Model 3 owners actual range will do better than expected. If they actually locked it, then the EPA numbers would reflect that (the EPA frowns on manufacturers who use different software settings during EPA testing than owners get ;)).