Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LSD (limited slip differential) anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done an install, or found a guide yet? I got a pair of diffs from Unplugged, but not looking like I'll get them in before my next event.
You need to have some experience on EVs and preferably Model 3s to attempt installation. The main battery will have to be disconnected and the drive units dropped out of the car. Have you got a shop you're going to get it done at?

You need to have some experience on EVs and preferably Model 3s to attempt installation. The main battery will have to be disconnected and the drive units dropped out of the car. Have you got a shop you're going to get it done at?

Good info. I know exactly who I need to take the car too now. I wasn’t even sure where to begin to source/vet a shop for it and hesitant to do it myself but have a personal mechanic friend that should be sufficient.

FWIW I’m most interested and excited for the front LSD. If by any chance front only is more of a breeze, I’d love to get it in before leaving for NOLA MP this week.

Good info. I know exactly who I need to take the car too now. I wasn’t even sure where to begin to source/vet a shop for it and hesitant to do it myself but have a personal mechanic friend that should be sufficient.

FWIW I’m most interested and excited for the front LSD. If by any chance front only is more of a breeze, I’d love to get it in before leaving for NOLA MP this week.
I doubt the front is the easier one to do because you'll probably have to remove the steering rack. The rear takes about 4-5 hours all in.
Just make sure your friend is completely happy he knows how to disconnect the HV. It's not something you want to mess around with if you don't have experience working on EVs.

I assume 4-5 hours if you did it before. First time and if you don't want to break something and with all the tools - might be a day or too. I doubt any detailed instructions done by anyone. Service Manual would be required, I assume, and extensive experience working with gearboxes and differentials. As well as proper engine work shop.

I assume 4-5 hours if you did it before. First time and if you don't want to break something and with all the tools - might be a day or too. I doubt any detailed instructions done by anyone. Service Manual would be required, I assume, and extensive experience working with gearboxes and differentials. As well as proper engine work shop.
Looks like someone cracked opened a pumpkin already
D368E3FE-DBE3-4C42-AB29-0F2F8B31A917.jpeg
69B3E6DD-D552-44E3-A45D-14693DADE21F.jpeg

I think it's only fair to point out to those who might be considering putting an LSD in that you don't have to take the drive unit apart to that extent to do it. :D
Not my car but found a pic to anyone that’s interested. Also I’d think it if there was a failure that Tesla technicians would actually open it up and know it’s different inside instead of just a replacement but that just my opinion.

Not my car but found a pic to anyone that’s interested. Also I’d think it if there was a failure that Tesla technicians would actually open it up and know it’s different inside instead of just a replacement but that just my opinion.
Failure of what? Technicians in service centres don't go down to that level. If there's a drive unit failure of any sort they replace the whole drive unit. They wouldn't spend the time and effort doing something they're not trained to do.

Failure of what? Technicians in service centres don't go down to that level. If there's a drive unit failure of any sort they replace the whole drive unit. They wouldn't spend the time and effort doing something they're not trained to do.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. The worry of “warranty” for the DU when this is installed should be non existent because they will not go inside the unit.

I never saw diffs coming with instructions. I guess if you need them with the diff - you shouldn't buy it. Although, I understand, that in this case it would be useful to post them.
I think letting the customer know the Tesla-specific parts of the process would be a really good idea. A diff is a diff once you've got the gearbox apart, but there are many steps before and after that.

I think letting the customer know the Tesla-specific parts of the process would be a really good idea. A diff is a diff once you've got the gearbox apart, but there are many steps before and after that.
I’ve broken axles a lot in my day (FWD wheel hop at the drag strip) and they’ve never provided instructions. I think it’s a grey area honestly.

Trying to be an early adopter here but the overall liability concerns and resource scarcity make it really not fun to get too deep into this platform at this time.

I've put a diff in before on a 30-year old platform with a decade of internet archives. This isn't that.

Reactions: Mash

Yep, and the OEM bearing preload or clearance specs are critical to ensuring the bearings don’t die prematurely and driveline backlash is kept within OE limits.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Vines