Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Retrofit $200

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is offering retrofits for $200 via "accessory install" appointments. Put "LTE retrofit" in the description.

A few days ago I made an appointment to get the 4G LTE upgrade and then I got an invoice for $350 ($108 for parts and the rest for labor). So I called the service center, told them it's supposed to be $200, and he agreed to adjust the price down to what it's supposed to be. However he also told me that 9 out of 10 times the upgrade does not work on older vehicles such as my 2013 Model S, because of issues related to the MCU - and if it doesn't work then I'm SOL because there's no warranty on it. So, I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who has actually gone ahead with the upgrade. Have you experienced any issues?

and if it doesn't work then I'm SOL because there's no warranty on it
You might want to check your state's law on such things. In many states, if a product is sold for a specific purpose, and if it can't be used for that specific purpose (under no fault of the purchaser), the seller can not refuse to warranty it.

Damn now I feel dumb, especially owning one of those "85" batteries, which now reports a maximum capacity just under 74 kWh and just under 70 kWh usable. It was at 78.2 max/74.2 usable kWh when I bought it in 2019. Should have been about 81/77 new.
damn you got a baller ass pack, mine is 68kWh useable and still called within spec by tesla as of a few weeks ago when i had it in for battery diagnostics.

Anyway why only get the LTE, why not just do the MCU2 upgrade? I already had LTE in my car but damn the MCU upgrade was well worth the $1500 bucks they want for it.

damn you got a baller ass pack, mine is 68kWh useable and still called within spec by tesla as of a few weeks ago when i had it in for battery diagnostics.

Anyway why only get the LTE, why not just do the MCU2 upgrade? I already had LTE in my car but damn the MCU upgrade was well worth the $1500 bucks they want for it.
Despite having FUSC, I don’t Supercharge much and neither did the original owner. Less than 800 kWh total DC charging over the pack’s lifetime. That and being a relatively low-mileage pack for six years, I guess are the major contributors to what’s left in my “85” pack.

My car had LTE when I bought it. Probably factory LTE since it was a July 2015 build.