Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, now that you've cleared that up, I'm glad we're having this discussion, because I stand by my original post, and your understanding of this stuff is wrong.

The $5000 is just for the Ludicrous Mode update.

The $3000 figure you found is the cost difference, for someone ordering a new car, between the two different packs. So a 90, when ordered new, will cost $3,000 more than an 85.

It has been discussed fairly extensively here on TMC, and concluded that there is no possible way Tesla is going to take in any used 85 pack and provide a new 90 pack for $3000. Wayner has a used 85 pack.

You were, in fact, suggesting that the two upgrades together would cost in the neighborhood of $8000 ($5,000 and $3,000) because you combined the cost of the $5000 Ludicrous upgrade announced for existing P85Ds with the $3,000 incremental cost to go from an 85 to a 90 when configuring a new car. Those two numbers, for those two upgrades, won't ever happen on the same car.

I wonder if an 85 pack has to be replaced under warranty for any reason if they'd allow you to upgrade to the 90 pack at that point for the new car difference? Also, I wonder if the 85 will be phased on in the future so that replacements have to be the 90? I doubt that in 5 years you'll be able to get a replacement 85 and that it will be a 90. I also wonder that if they can't replace it with an 85 and you don't want to upgrade to the 90 if they will throw it in because there's no 85 replacement or if they'll have a software solution to lock you out of 5 kWh?

I wonder if an 85 pack has to be replaced under warranty for any reason if they'd allow you to upgrade to the 90 pack at that point for the new car difference?

My guess on this would be they would not.

From what I have read here, when batteries have to be replaced under warranty, they are replaced with batteries with similar amounts of degradation. They are not replaced, at least from what I understand, with brand new batteries. That being the case, I doubt they would allow you to just pay the difference and get a brand new 90. On the other hand, I guess they could let you pay the difference to get an equivalently degraded 90, assuming they exist at that point.

Also, I wonder if the 85 will be phased on in the future so that replacements have to be the 90? I doubt that in 5 years you'll be able to get a replacement 85 and that it will be a 90. I also wonder that if they can't replace it with an 85 and you don't want to upgrade to the 90 if they will throw it in because there's no 85 replacement or if they'll have a software solution to lock you out of 5 kWh?

Personally I'd bet on a software lockout.

The rest of this discussion is because you accused me of trying to misconstrue your post. I'm going to defend myself when attacked.

Now, I gotta say, that, while we may jab, elbow, nibble at, tease, roil, occasionally hammer, largely disagree and frequently goose, tar, feather, and generally pester each other on this forum, we do not attack and we are never attacked.
We just push each other to be even more complete enthusiasts of The World's Greatest Car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just got the upgrade yesterday when the car was in for some brake service. So far I have had a significant improvement in 3 areas. 1: Slacker takes about 2 seconds to move to the next track as opposed to 5-10 seconds with the 3G. 2: Coverage, I get full bars all over the Saint Louis, MO area. In only a few places are there fewer than full bars. With 3G I rarely got full bars normally showing 2-3 bars in the same area. I will be driving to an area where any coverage is really spotty this weekend and will report here what the upgrade does for that location. 3: App Connection. I have the car in power save mode, always connected. Thus it would normally take 10 to 15 seconds for any info to appear on the app. Now it takes less than five seconds. These are my anecdotal observations ymmv. I am very pleased that I got this retrofit.

Peace,

Father Bill

The MCU never sleeps. It is always on for logging. That's why the center screen immediately comes on while it takes the IC a few seconds to wake up. 3G, Bluetooth, and Wifi are clearly disabled while asleep, but I've never seen evidence of the MCU OS in sleep state.

I just figured that the LTE radio might be faster to wake up than the older radio.

The MCU never sleeps. It is always on for logging. That's why the center screen immediately comes on while it takes the IC a few seconds to wake up. 3G, Bluetooth, and Wifi are clearly disabled while asleep, but I've never seen evidence of the MCU OS in sleep state.

I just figured that the LTE radio might be faster to wake up than the older radio.

I have. The MCU quote often is asleep when I go to the car and starts with the large gray Tesla logo, which takes a little bit of time.

Got my LTE upgrade at the Fremont SC today. All good and you can really see the difference on map updates and Slacker or Tune-In. All very nice! Same pricing that others have stated.
Have you compared XM before and after? I'm really curious to know whether other other people are perceiving sound quality improvement, presumably from the wiring harness and/or other connectors that were changes with LTE installation.

This is not true. The MCU has 2 separate and distinct systems in it's housing; the CID (Center Display) and the Gateway. The Gateway is the what performs the logging function, and it runs FreeRTOS on a Freescale MPC5668G. The Debian-based CID can go to sleep or even totally shut down while the Gateway can stay awake.