Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The upstream rates folks are seeing are insane. My iPhone rarely gets more than 20 Mbps up. wk057 got like 80 Mbps up in his Model S.

I was driving while my friend was operating the 17" to do speed tests. I thought he took a picture of the 79.9 megabit one, but I could only find one that showed 73 megabit. It definitely tested at nearly 80 though. I haven't really messed with it since.

2015-08-13.jpg

Hello All,
My apologies if this has been discussed up-thread. There are many pages of info and I can't get through it all.
Honestly, the speed of my connectivity is not something that I am really hung-up on. Sure, I would like faster map loading. Slacker is a minor issue for me.
The question I have is this: How much data is typically used for map navigation, etc. I understand that this can vary massively depending on type of usage. I ask because one option we have is to use our phones as hot spots. For those of you who have done that, how much did your data usage increase and what type of data where you using (i.e.: just maps, slacker, etc). Would it be cheaper just to up my data plan and stay connected that way via LTE?

How much data is typically used for map navigation, etc. I understand that this can vary massively depending on type of usage. I ask because one option we have is to use our phones as hot spots. For those of you who have done that, how much did your data usage increase and what type of data where you using (i.e.: just maps, slacker, etc). Would it be cheaper just to up my data plan and stay connected that way via LTE?

That's a fine idea - I use my phone for GPS / Waze all the time and never exceed 1GB per month on my line. Often 500 MB of usage. It's less than you think.

You guys thinking about just using an LTE hotspot and your phone should be careful. One of the things the people who have been upgrading to LTE have been finding is that they are seeing very, VERY high upload speeds. One theory is that Tesla is preparing to start collecting a lot more data from the cars than they have been. If that happens, and you're connected with your phone, the data transmission will be on your dime.

From what I can tell, your warning is based on a completely specious theory with no evidence behind it. And it's not like the forum won't blow up with that news if the cars indeed start sending lots of data, there's people tracking their wifi packets here.

I was just trying to be helpful, in case you were unaware of that potential issue. It really doesn't matter to me at all what you do.

I think the observed upstream LTE speeds are a red herring. Unless Tesla plans to upload real-time video from the cameras and radar, I can't possibly see them using that much bandwidth for upstream telemetry. They can easily process the raw AP data from all the sensors in some sort of optimized format and send that up -- IF they are even doing that. And that's not going to require >50mbps bandwidth.

eta: I also think it's a little bit of confirmation bias... here's some extreme upstream LTE speeds -- so therefore it MUST be something Tesla is planning. What could it be?

I think the observed upstream LTE speeds are a red herring. Unless Tesla plans to upload real-time video from the cameras and radar, I can't possibly see them using that much bandwidth for upstream telemetry. They can easily process the raw AP data from all the sensors in some sort of optimized format and send that up -- IF they are even doing that. And that's not going to require >50mbps bandwidth.

eta: I also think it's a little bit of confirmation bias... here's some extreme upstream LTE speeds -- so therefore it MUST be something Tesla is planning. What could it be?

I though the extreme upload speeds were reported as being a result of a bug in the Web site people are using to do speed testing. I'm not sure it's even real.

That's not the case for me when my Tesla is on Wifi. In the 7.5 months since I have had my car (and WAP) my Tesla has used 28.7GB down and 1.4GB up. I imagine the bulk of the downloads are the myriad of firmware updates.
Thank you wayner. I think that gives me a good idea of what is happening while at rest. I still would like an idea of how much data is used while driving using nav. I get that Waze and similar phone apps don't not use much, but does the integrated nav screen use a similar amount to a phone app, or given the screen size, etc, does it use more?

I though the extreme upload speeds were reported as being a result of a bug in the Web site people are using to do speed testing. I'm not sure it's even real.

I find that 100x more plausible than Tesla is planning on massive data uploading. What happens to the rest of the AP fleet that doesn't come with, or upgrade to LTE? That's still the vast majority of AP cars out there, tens of thousands of cars.

That would fit with my intermittent results of a significantly higher upload speed than my wifi is capable of (while on wifi, not LTE). I got something like 35 mbit upload on my wifi which is 3x greater than anything I've ever actually gotten from my internet. And that was through an old wifi repeater I set up for the garage that I know for a fact is limited to 25 mbit bandwidth by its hardware.