Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air - Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the higher models adaptive matrix lights are indeed standard. On other models it’s a £1350 upgrade, so not an outrageous price.

You have to pay that extra £1350 even on a £60k etron. The digital ones you mentioned above (only available on higher end models) are £3175. I think it’s a bit much to expect those as standard on a £40-50k Tesla. The latest M3 headlights are in line with what you might expect for the price.

You have to pay that extra £1350 even on a £60k etron. The digital ones you mentioned above (only available on higher end models) are £3175. I think it’s a bit much to expect those as standard on a £40-50k Tesla. The latest M3 headlights are in line with what you might expect for the price.

Matrix headlights came as standard on my A6 for which I paid just under £50k, though that was after a substantial discount from an online broker. You can’t get matrix headlights even on a £100k+ Model X.

Lucid air finished their factory in December on track for spring deliveries.

They have a lot going for them and I hope they succeed. We need more EVs at all affordability levels. Even the ones i can't afford.

CCIV to the moon :)

yes cciv will hopefully buy me a few Lucid's & more! I bought in with a $13.78 average (sb) which is already showing a very healthy profit already

Matrix headlights came as standard on my A6 for which I paid just under £50k, though that was after a substantial discount from an online broker. You can’t get matrix headlights even on a £100k+ Model X.

Yes, the lights on the X not as good as the new M3 lights. I own both.
I see some Audis fit the matrix (not the digital ones) as standard lower down the range, but not on their £60k e-tron they don't.

I wouldn’t expect matrix lights to be standard on the M3, but I certainly would on the MS and MX which start at £80k and £88k respectively. But you can’t even order them as a paid for option so must make do with the unremarkable bog standard LED lights.

I’ve no doubt the lights on the Lucid will be much better, which might persuade Tesla to up its game. There’s even a chance that the windscreen wipers on the Lucid might work properly.

I’m really interested in the Lucid. Design is subjective, but I think it looks so much better than any bland Tesla. I don’t mind admitting that my M3P is possibly the ugliest car I’ve ever owned. Love the interior of the Lucid with its 5K screen and a few useful physical buttons.

I’m also interested in the tech. I’m not at all convinced that Tesla can achieve L4/5 automation with its current hardware and new beta software, and I’m looking forward to seeing what Lucid can do, especially with the addition of LIDAR.

There’s no doubt that the Musk is keeping a very close eye on Lucid, and I think the involvement of Peter Rawlinson adds a bit of rivalry. I know we haven’t yet seen a Lucid in the flesh, but I reckon it will force Tesla to up its game.

Reactions: afadeev
I wouldn’t expect matrix lights to be standard on the M3, but I certainly would on the MS and MX which start at £80k and £88k respectively. But you can’t even order them as a paid for option so must make do with the unremarkable bog standard LED lights.

I’ve no doubt the lights on the Lucid will be much better, which might persuade Tesla to up its game. There’s even a chance that the windscreen wipers on the Lucid might work properly.

The S and X are both long in the tooth and their lighting is one way this now shows up. For sure the latest M3 has better headlights than my £90k MX, which itself has better lights than the MS. But it’s not a big deal to me and I would fully expect any brand new S/X models to have the latest lighting tech.

Just had a quick look at the Lucid. Usual pics of massively oversized wheels with o-ring tyres. I’m thinking it will probably look *sugar* on normal sized wheels. Still be very interesting to see a new Model S competitor. I wouldn’t take the risk in buying one personally.

I would fully expect any brand new S/X models to have the latest lighting tech.

I’m not so sure about that. I’m pretty certain that the NHTSA still haven’t allowed matrix headlights in the US and show no sign of doing so, and that probably means Tesla isn’t much interested in fitting them. They could possibly be fitted and not software enabled for the US market but I doubt it.

Well the revamped S and X have been announced and I can’t see any sign of matrix lights. Quite incredible that a £130K car can come with bog standard LEDs. It will be interesting to see if the auto function actually works.

I’m sure I read that it would have revised front and rear lights in the same housings. No idea what spec, but probably driven mostly by US legislation.