Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla offer a vehicle with a listed range of 500+ miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With newer Teslas having so much faster charging times, and Superchargers popping up all over the place, there is little demand for a more expensive and heavier vehicle.
Larger battery packs means they can build fewer cars, as they are still battery constrained.
Currently, having a larger battery pack means you would need to stay at a charger longer to get back to that 500 mile range, and few want to do that.
The new batteries are capable of higher charge rates. The V4 Supercharger has the capablility of 615A at 1,000V. It will take awhile for these to become common. They aren't building very many Cybrertrucks or semis, so the current low volume of batteries is not really an issue. I would have bought an EV pickup with 500 mile range instead of my MS with 402 mile range.

Longer range would be nice for non ideal scenarios. 400 Tesla miles are more like 320 real miles at best. Add on some cold weather and trying to stay above 10% SOC, and the real range quickly becomes 200
Also, age degradation. I wouldn't consider any EV with a NEW range of under 300 miles. In 4 years during winter, a 300 mile range battery might, on a good day get 150 mles range. More range is better.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
What is the actual cost of the extra cells / weight? $5K ... $8K? That's why I'm not willing to fully say it wouldn't sell if they could keep it at only an extra $10K to $12K.

The cost is one thing, but the weight might be another issue - adding even more load on a vehicle that already, what, 8000-10000 lbs? I saw a recent tweet on a RC vehicle that had a badly bent upper control arm while likely doing off-road testing in Mexico, too much for the cheap pressed steel component Tesla opted for.

So perhaps the suspension components are OK for a purely urban vehicle, ,not for off-road, as-is - but now add another 30-50% more batteries for greater range, maybe the suspension design no longer beefy enough for even urban driving? Or just enough for urban driving, as long as you carry no passengers or cargo?

Reactions: ucmndd
EV DOES NOT NEED MORE RANGE.... a good EV need FASTER CHARGING SPEED.

400 MILES IS MORE THAN ENOUGH, if charging speed gets better and better. R&D MUST FOCUSED ON FASTER CHARGING, than just adding more batteries or enhanced energy density.
Saying it in all caps doesn’t change anything. If they actually could get 400 miles in the real world, perhaps you’d have a point.

Larger batteries also allow for faster charging.

Saying it in all caps doesn’t change anything. If they actually could get 400 miles in the real world, perhaps you’d have a point.

Larger batteries also allow for faster charging.
Thank you SMART.. BOY.
"Saying it in all caps doesn’t change anything" ... Forgot about everything and felt the need to comment on the all caps. I love my Tesla more than my BMWs and Mbenz.. but the pool of Telsa owners (some* of them) on forums compared to Benz and BMW owners seem to be not as great and so naive (the only downside of my Tesla experience).

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I labeled the thread as the "listed" (epa) range of 500 miles, because I see that equating to around 350 to 400 miles of real world highway miles and around 150 to 200 miles of towing. The assumption being, you're going to want to have a little more than 1% or 2% when you eventually stop to charge.

So from a road trip standpoint, that ends up being 4 to 5 hours of continuous driving and 2 to 3 hours of continuous towing. I know some prefer to stop more often, but those timeframes align with my past ICE road trips.

To answer my own question - I'm guessing we are still 3 to 4 years away from seeing half a half dozen options (at reasonable prices) on the market providing the 500 epa miles / 400 real world miles.

We all have different needs. For many people the current available range is fine. For others, me included, having more range would make road trips more pleasant. I've taken many road trips in our 85D over the 8 years we've owned it and definitely would have enjoyed more range (and more than the current LR). I think 500+ miles would be great. Last time we drove back from LA to the Bay Area, the chargers were busy. Tesla are adding them fast, but they also sell many cars. Having the option to skip a SC stop would be great and possible with a bit more range.

There's no need to get angry with each other, we all have different needs/wants.

Couple points (important ones, IMO) that haven't been brought up in this spicy debate yet:

First, towing. Towing sucks with an EV. Towing can cut efficiency, roughly, in half; a 500 mile unladen Cybertruck is a 250 mile range truck when towing.

But you're not going to charge 0-100% at every charging stop, so if you do ~10-70% charges you're down to 150 miles between stops.

Speaking of charging: for a given vehicle the bigger the battery the shorter your charge stops are (due to the higher charge rate, purely from having a larger battery). See Model 3 RWD small pack vs long range charge curves.

Half the point of an enormous truck battery is not the range you can get from 100% - 0%. Instead, it's about how much energy can you dump into the battery in ~15-20 minutes. That's the metric that really counts for towing.

I agree, we don't need to drive 500 miles without stopping. That's a side effect of optimizing for the metric I just mentioned (at least with current battery tech).

Second, the density of DC fast chargers is critical to reducing charge times and range anxiety (even putting aside any other technology advancements).

Consider an ideal charge stop in a Model 3 - pull in at 5-10% and charge to 50-60%. Average charge speed is around 200kW. But if there's a big gap between chargers, then you might end up with a painful 40 - 80% charge. Average speed is around 100kW. That's literally half the charging speed, just because of geography. Having chargers available every 20 miles or so makes a huge difference.

Towing is one place where EV range falls short. Please excuse my ignorance, I've never towed anything... does towing with an ICE also require significantly more refueling stops? Is it just that filling a gas tank is quite a bit faster?

Since many people buy trucks and SUVs and never tow anything with them, I'd still say that the current range of EVs is sufficient - it's the towing piece that needs engineering help. So instead of more range for the EV, we need self-propelling and aerodynamic trailers. These already exist, but not mass market. This would allow you to keep your vehicle lean for daily use, but still have the capability when you need to tow.

Towing is one place where EV range falls short. Please excuse my ignorance, I've never towed anything... does towing with an ICE also require significantly more refueling stops? Is it just that filling a gas tank is quite a bit faster?

Since many people buy trucks and SUVs and never tow anything with them, I'd still say that the current range of EVs is sufficient - it's the towing piece that needs engineering help. So instead of more range for the EV, we need self-propelling and aerodynamic trailers. These already exist, but not mass market. This would allow you to keep your vehicle lean for daily use, but still have the capability when you need to tow.
Definitely mpg drops dramatically for ICE, but some trucks have options for larger tanks. Example F150 has 23 and 36 gallon options, so you still have decent milage at ~10 MPG. Plus you can easily add a few extra tanks if you're camping away from a gas station.

All Teslas are beasts for towing on the power/torque side. Just need the right hitch installed to balance the extra weight. Putting the extra battery on the trailer is definitely an option we’ll see in the future.

About three years ago, James Klafehn built a tear drop travel trailer on top of a 85KWH tesla battery that he then directly wired to his Model X to nearly double the size of his battery. Not something I'd ever try, but it was a cool proof of concept.

Yep, this is just purely based on the physics of towing. Way more air drag, more mass to accelerate or pull up hill, more rolling resistance, etc.

It affects ICE and EVs the same in terms of how much work the vehicle has to do. ICE trucks just power through it with large fuel tanks and fast refueling.