Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air Will Be Better Than Model S, Says Former Tesla Engineer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what about charging network? this is where tesla stands strong

The lack of a charging network is my primary concern, Tesla does it right.

They say 3 years free charging on Electrify America, so hoping the EA network will grow and improve.

Charging aside on road trips, the car pretty much blows me away. I put in a reservation for a Grand Touring.

how many car really spend over 60k for a car? 100k is pushing it for even that percent looking but $150k ?? really? I guess this is why the 3 is selling like crazy: pricepoint for average person? I mean it looks very cool as does the porsche entry and I am happy to see them and I am sure i will see a few here in colorado driving around when they are released. I am all for more ev's coming out. The y to me isnt exciting at all -whereas the cybertruck is

what about charging network? this is where tesla stands strong

Lucid has partnered with Electrify America. All Lucid cars can supercharge at any Electrify America station. Also, early customers will get 3 years of free charging.

As you can see from the map, Electrify America has a large network across the US, very similar to Tesla's Supercharger Network. So I think Lucid is very competitive with Tesla in this area.

U9htCtK.png

Reactions: am_dmd

They say 3 years free charging on Electrify America, so hoping the EA network will grow and improve.

Charging aside on road trips, the car pretty much blows me away. I put in a reservation for a Grand Touring.

EA has a very large network comparable to Tesla's Supercharging Network. I don't think this will be a problem for Lucid.

U9htCtK.png

EA has a very large network comparable to Tesla's Supercharging Network. I don't think this will be a problem for Lucid.

U9htCtK.png

I have never charged at a EA station, but have looked at a few and I think there is usually only 2 fast chargers at one location. That seems like it could be a problem during busy weekend travel.

I drive the route from Chicago to Faribault, MN and to Minneapolis often and there are not a lot of EA along the way (but still more than enough).

Tesla holds the charging network advantage, but it's only time before the rest of the industry catches up. EV tech is one thing, but the charging stations aren't that high tech and will be duplicated in mass.

Personally, I think tesla needs to do more than just add Plaid performance to the S. I know interior is subjective but I personally think the Air interior puts the current S interior to shame. The Air interior is simply stunning in its luxury and tech. I think for $150k, Tesla needs to seriously upgrade the interior of the S too.

Agreed. Model S and X interior is starting to get stale. Tesla needs a serious refresh or redesign on those cars. I could care less about Plaid performance and their games with Porsche. I want a 2021 updated Model S or X. Lucid shows serious potential.

Reactions: diplomat33
Tesla holds the charging network advantage, but it's only time before the rest of the industry catches up. EV tech is one thing, but the charging stations aren't that high tech and will be duplicated in mass.
Plus, Electrify America is teaming up with Walmart and Love's Travel Plazas. I would imagine that makes location scouting, permissions, and logistics much, much simpler. (But I'm just guessing.)

Agree.
Range anxiety was overblown when the S was just 200 miles and there were sparse SC network. So, yeah, charging on a much larger EA network with a car with 500 miles of range isn’t an issue.

Like most people, a vast majority of our miles are less than 200 miles and we charge at home 80% of the time.

I don't see anyone talking about the Lucid V2G (vehicle-to-grid) capability?

Tesla has been resistant so far to provide V2G, mostly considering that some older Model S have free charging,
and may be because of the current 1,000 miles of free Supercharging with the referral program,
and also because Tesla sells Powerwalls.

However with Honda, Lucid, Nissan, and Toyota having V2G on some of their car, I wonder if Tesla would one day provide V2G?
Especially in some countries, like Japan, where V2G can be use as contingency back up for the grid.

(Sep 09, 2020) Nuvve Corporation's Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) Platform Enables New Phase of Project Providing Grid Services in Japan

Tesla has been resistant so far to provide V2G, mostly considering that some older Model S have free charging,
and may be because of the current 1,000 miles of free Supercharging with the referral program,

However with Honda, Lucid, Nissan, and Toyota having V2G on some of their car, I wonder if Tesla would one day provide V2G?
Especially in some countries, like Japan, where V2G can be use as contingency back up for the grid.

(Sep 09, 2020) Nuvve Corporation's Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) Platform Enables New Phase of Project Providing Grid Services in Japan

Agreed. I've got almost 200kwH of battery storage sitting in my garage between my cars. Why paying $6500 per 10kwH for power walls.

The other interesting thing Lucid mentioned was being able to charge another car using their car. Vehicle to Vehicle. Seems like an awesome feature to help give an EV a boost of range in an emergency situation.

Reactions: Ben W and Watts_Up
Agreed. I've got almost 200kwH of battery storage sitting in my garage between my cars. Why paying $6500 per 10kwH for power walls.

One consideration is the potential additional battery degradation and resulting range hit on a 60k car? But then again battery degradation is not a major concern for Powerwall packs.

V2G is the future. A million mile battery would make V2G a huge part of the value of the car. I’d still want a powerwall to capture daytime solar when the car is not at home, but Lucid having V2G is big

EA charging network was shut down last weekend on the I-95 corridor for upgrades. They do not have a reputation for reliability. It will take several years before they catch up with Tesla. On the other hand that’s probably about the time they’ll be needed for a more general adoption of EV‘s. For now Tesla is still the only way to go for most people.Having said this Lucid is impressive if expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and mikevbf
EA charging network was shut down last weekend on the I-95 corridor for upgrades. They do not have a reputation for reliability. It will take several years before they catch up with Tesla. On the other hand that’s probably about the time they’ll be needed for a more general adoption of EV‘s. For now Tesla is still the only way to go for most people.Having said this Lucid is impressive if expensive.
Most people aren’t fast charging on interstate corridors often enough to say “for now Tesla is still the only way to go for most people”. When did you get your first Tesla? I can assure you traveling in a 500 mile ranged car on EA is much better than the first many years of S on super charging- and that wasn’t enough an issue to not get the S.

Most people aren’t fast charging on interstate corridors often enough to say “for now Tesla is still the only way to go for most people”. When did you get your first Tesla? I can assure you traveling in a 500 mile ranged car on EA is much better than the first many years of S on super charging- and that wasn’t enough an issue to not get the S.
I’ve been driving Tesla‘s for nearly 3 years. And before then had other plug-ins. I have more than 100,000 miles of EV travel.Traveling more than a few hundred miles requires a robust charging network. As a game I plan my routes using other networks as well. It is spotty at best. Those of us who do not live on either coast have concerns. But they will be addressed in time and probably quickly.

Reactions: ICUDoc and byeLT4

This was the biggest plus for me last night, especially given the battery size (north of 100kW). Exterior styling really isn't me, interior I liked from a luxury standpoint, but I'd want to see how it stacks up to Tesla in terms of user interface. I also will reserve further judgment once these are on the road. I think this is definitely a Model S competitor, but I'd really like to compare MS LR+ with FSD at $85k to Lucid's equivalent offering, not a $160k Porsche fighter...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker