Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air Will Be Better Than Model S, Says Former Tesla Engineer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From reveal, Lucid will have completely hands-off auto parking! Nice! The UI for auto parking looks better than Tesla.

KtrLxTs.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
From the presentation, it seems like Lucid learned all the lessons from Tesla of what a great EV needs to be. They basically copied Tesla's formula to a tee but added more luxury and better tech. They focused on range and efficiency, fast charging network, interior space, integrated tech with large display, connected app, FSD hardware and OTA updates. They will also offer powerwalls for home use. And they even have similar design studio and service centers as Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: mikevbf and kavyboy
From the presentation, it seems like Lucid learned all the lessons from Tesla of what a great EV needs to be. They basically copied Tesla's formula to a tee but added more luxury and better tech. They focused on range and efficiency, fast charging network, interior space, integrated tech with large display, connected app, FSD hardware and OTA updates. They will also offer powerwalls for home use. And they even have similar design studio and service centers as Tesla.

I don't know that I'd agree that they added "better tech." Tesla has to balance between cost and manufacturability on a scale that Lucid isn't targeting.

I do think they're acting similarly to Tesla in 2012...but Tesla has grown up (for better or worse).

Very good start. I’m going to need to see it in person and drive it.

Also, although I like the specs of the Air, I eagerly await the Plaid. I’d hope a company with Tesla’s experience can take the current S and make a hell of a car for $150k.

I hope to have a tough decision following 9/22.

I don't know that I'd agree that they added "better tech." Tesla has to balance between cost and manufacturability on a scale that Lucid isn't targeting.

I do think they're acting similarly to Tesla in 2012...but Tesla has grown up (for better or worse).

By better tech I am referring in part to the powertrain that has 3x better power to weight ratio than Tesla.

EhgqqheVoAE5beJ

Reactions: mikevbf
Very good start. I’m going to need to see it in person and drive it.

Also, although I like the specs of the Air, I eagerly await the Plaid. I’d hope a company with Tesla’s experience can take the current S and make a hell of a car for $150k.

I hope to have a tough decision following 9/22.

Personally, I think tesla needs to do more than just add Plaid performance to the S. I know interior is subjective but I personally think the Air interior puts the current S interior to shame. The Air interior is simply stunning in its luxury and tech. I think for $150k, Tesla needs to seriously upgrade the interior of the S too.

Ehg0Q5YU8AEQDy6

I’m not gonna lie, the unveiling better put a kick on Elon’s tush because that was one hell of a call they unveiled. Yes, it is more, but isn’t 2022 the regular Air will (hopefully) be around and that will start to get competition into Teslas upper end 3 and Y; also, that is if the price doesn’t fall before then.

Overall, yes, a lot of Tesla subtle digs, which I enjoyed. I think Lucid has a good chance to give Tesla some competition.

Personally, I think tesla needs to do more than just add Plaid performance to the S. I know interior is subjective but I personally think the Air interior puts the current S interior to shame. The Air interior is simply stunning in its luxury and tech. I think for $150k, Tesla needs to seriously upgrade the interior of the S too.

Ehg0Q5YU8AEQDy6
Agreed, my jaw is still dropped with the features they added. At this point, I feel Tesla FSD and 0-60 is now on the back burner because of the Y’s quality drop. A lot of people will look into Lucid that are shopping for the Plaid S model because they are selling it as a true luxury car and not a “fastest on the track our top of the line” car.

Reactions: diplomat33

Ehg0Q5YU8AEQDy6
Completely agree!

With production cost improvements, I’d hope for another $50k they could take the current S and transform the interior, make it slightly faster, and improve range. Basically, Lucid is striving to be a S Class. Not many are buying those. Can Tesla offer a something in between the current S and that?

It’s likely tough to keep costs down on those options and trim on low volume

Last edited:
...discussion...

My quick initial responses:

Cons:

More expensive: $80,00 to 169,000
Generic Charging Stations that can be unreliable.
Not a hatchback

Pros:

$7,500 Federal tax credit
Range 517 miles.
60% charge/20 minutes
Bi-directional charging
Quick 2.5 seconds
LIDAR
Level 3 Autonomous
Audio: 29 speakers with active noise cancellations
4 touch screens
Bigger frunk
3 years of free Electrify America charging

Missing info:

Is there a Sentry Mode and Camera recording system?
Is there towing?

Completely agree!

With production cost improvements, I’d hope for another $50k they could take the current S and transform the interior, make it slightly faster, and improve range. Basically, Lucid is striving to be a S Class. Not many are buying those. Can Tesla offer a something in between the current S and that?

It’s likely tough to keep costs down on those options and trim on low volume
It’s really hard to tell when other companies come this early to the game without an actual car. I think Lucid has the right cards in play to make a move. Tesla owns the market now, but let’s be honest, too many other EV’s are coming out and range and destination charging is becoming the most important. Sure, I would love to my car to drive me to work, but realistically I feel even Tesla is falling out of this category with owners at the moment.