Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it depends how effective the battery cooling is...

Exactly, so you would want your cells to be kept cool when drawing 20 Amps from them, right?
Now, how do you get to the point of lowest IR to maximize power, i.e. the Max Battery Power function... :wink:
This is the reason I have yet to decide to have the upgrade done or not.
In the next couple of weeks I'm going to do some more measurements with my CAN bus logger to see what happens at 17A (Insane mode).

hooray! I didn't order Ludicrous until almost the last day; anyone have any idea how many names are on the Nashville list?

I don't know. The SC has been very discrete about providing any information regarding "the list". From what I can tell, Nashville is waiting on the parts to arrive and then letting the customer know about scheduling options. I placed the deposit on 9/25 which was the first day it was available in the on-line store.

Exactly, so you would want your cells to be kept cool when drawing 20 Amps from them, right?
Now, how do you get to the point of lowest IR to maximize power, i.e. the Max Battery Power function... :wink:
This is the reason I have yet to decide to have the upgrade done or not.
In the next couple of weeks I'm going to do some more measurements with my CAN bus logger to see what happens at 17A (Insane mode).

jpet, I don't know what ambient temperatures you see throughout the year, but to me, I'd expect Ludicrous' biggest benefit is the dis-proportionally greater HP gain witnessed at lower SOC, and cooler temperatures. I don't know, for sure, but it sounds like working the 30-90mph range harder in public, seconds at a time, is simply not a problem. Your access to faster European roads is unique. As it is, I get "1+ hour" to "Max Battery Power" whenever it is even 35-40F degrees. So many owners are in CA, where sub-40F (<5C) really doesn't happen much. Then, so many upgraders, so far, are CA only. I think there's more feedback to come, from owners freshly backing their cold P85Ds out of the garage, in more typical U.S. environs.

Last weekend, I saw my first blue snowflake (left of the dash battery bar) and had the battery down to ~10%. It's obvious cold/SOC is a bigger issue to performance, than heat is to batteries. A relative statement, I know.

On the phone when they scheduled me they said they should get it back to me the same day but based on what I have read I didn't believe them and asked for a loaner. They initially forgot the loaner but brought one back right away.

Picked it up at about 8:30AM yesterday morning (down to 37 miles range) but I haven't heard from them since, definitely didn't get it back same day. On the plus side as of this morning it is alive again and charged up to almost 90% and sitting at the lot, so presumably they are done or just need to do some tests.

Picked up my P85DL today from the Tampa Service Center. Great people.

looking at teslalog.com report when they tested the Ludicrous mode, I saw the attached, certinally an improvement. Highway performance is now 'what I expected'

image.png

Picked up my P85DL today from the Tampa Service Center. Great people.

looking at teslalog.com report when they tested the Ludicrous mode, I saw the attached, certinally an improvement. Highway performance is now 'what I expected'

Assuming those are still seconds along the bottom, those are pretty impressive numbers, especially considering the state of charge! The car did 0-44 or so in about .5 seconds! And then did something like 31-52 in 1/4 second!

Are these times even possible?

Edit: Those can't be the regular half second increments along the bottom of the graph.

Assuming those are still seconds along the bottom, those are pretty impressive numbers, especially considering the state of charge! The car did 0-44 or so in about .5 seconds! And then did something like 31-52 in 1/4 second!

Are these times even possible?

Edit: Those can't be the regular half second increments along the bottom of the graph.

Hopefully someone one can help explain the chart for us. Thanks!

Hopefully someone one can help explain the chart for us. Thanks!

Actually after thinking about it a little, and looking at my own TeslaLog data, I can explain it.

The units along the x-axis are miles, not seconds.

The total test drive was a little under 8 miles.

I was initially looking at the graph thinking that it was a graph like the following one, in which the x-axis is, in fact, seconds. (Well, now that I've posted it I see it's really thousandths of seconds.)

TeslaLog Launch.jpg

I looked at my own TeslaLog account and realized that the Trip Stats graph that you were displaying is in miles.

To see logs like the one above, for some of the runs during the test run, click on the green "Acceleration" word above where it says "Trip Stats", and then select the appropriate set of data.

Last edited:
As I understand the upgrade, it simply allows for more power to be drawn from the system. If your driving habits are unchanged (and you do not do a tremendous amount of full throttle driving), would you expect any change in efficiency or W-Hr/mile?
Do we expect the new fuses or the old fuses to be more efficient at, say, mid-range current draws?

Neither. The new fuses simply have a higher threshold before they blow, therefore allowing more current to flow through (at levels which would cause the old ones to blow).

I think better explanation would be to say the new fuses got "more accurate" and predictable.

With the old - passive - fuses they had to program in a wider tolerance, since they could not predict if the fuse would blow, so they would not fry the pack.
With the new - active - fuses they get a much narrower tolerance, since they know the current flowing through and can react "on the ms level" by blowing the fuse actively.