Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sort of crappy weather here so I haven't put it through all it's paces. First impressions:
- It's definitely faster overall
- Passing power 50-70, 70-90 seem much stronger. Almost too fast :)
- Car was given back to me with Max Battery on. Max Battery has always been noisy, it's noisier now. I'm going to monitor it for a few days. It's bad enough that I wonder if it needs to go back

Lola - Thanks. Glad to hear you think I will not be disappointed.

Yo - I wish we had thought of that. I probably would have come out there for that!

Update - They say I can pick my car up after lunch. They have charged it up to 90% a few times already this AM. Interestingly VT and the app show the 90% charge range as 229 miles. That's a few more than I've ever seen at that SOC. I'll post a write up about my butt dyno opinion later today.

My butt dyno approves the upgrade.

Sort of crappy weather here so I haven't put it through all it's paces. First impressions:
- It's definitely faster overall
- Passing power 50-70, 70-90 seem much stronger. Almost too fast :)
- Car was given back to me with Max Battery on. Max Battery has always been noisy, it's noisier now. I'm going to monitor it for a few days. It's bad enough that I wonder if it needs to go back
Congrats! I'm very happy for you. I predict that you're going to have quite a bit of fun driving your new P85D

I love how the upgrade is noticeable at really any SOC. I am way WAY satisfied. The missing power after 30 is here with ludicrous!
Agreed. But it absolutely bristles with power above 90%. Even when I'm having the worst day, unleashing the car's full potential always plasters a grin on my face. The dopamine rush is amazing. In contrast, once on the freeway, autopilot has a calming effect that will mellow me out despite the worst traffic and/or bad drivers. This car is amazing.

Last edited:
Agreed. But it absolutely bristles with power above 90%. Even when I'm having the worst day, unleashing the car's full potential always plasters a grin on my face. The dopamine rush is amazing. In contrast, once on the freeway, autopilot has a calming effect that will mellow me out despite the worst traffic and/or bad drivers. This car is amazing.

I agree with this 100%. I love the two sides of the car.

Devon service center did their first upgrade 2/8. Not sure how many they've done since then, but rumor has it they had about 20ish to do total last I heard.[/QUOTE]

Awesome... Thank you for the update! It gives me hope... Although not too much since this is the same company that took 35 days to ship my car from California to New York.

Yep, still missing a few ponies, but... I'm much happier with performance. At 70% SoC now and still have 400kW available.

I was getting 415KW at 56%. i.e. the power of a fully charged Insane P85D but at a much lower SOC.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, minor correction. The car's readout reported 475 kW max available. Looking at the full CAN log now that I'm home, under full acceleration peak was actually at 466 kW. Still cool, though, IMO.

So that exactly matches AWDTesla's 468KW for the most part. Although the highest P90DL log that I saw was Pete90's 456KW on his P90DL.

And based on the track results, it's safe to say the P85DL performs the same as the P90DL.

I was getting 415KW at 56%. i.e. the power of a fully charged Insane P85D but at a much lower SOC.

I have as well, but this is probably a side effect of max battery power. A faster power fade.

So that exactly matches AWDTesla's 468KW for the most part. Although the highest P90DL log that I saw was Pete90's 456KW on his P90DL.

And based on the track results, it's safe to say the P85DL performs the same as the P90DL.

Works for me. Here is a cross-post of my 0-100 launch, which I'm pretty satisfied with. It's not going to come out to a 10.9s 1/4 mile, but it'd probably be 0.4s quicker than my best Insane 1/4 mile.

wk057-p85d-ludicrous-0-100.jpg

My best graphing attempt. :D (I couldn't make the left and right axis line up exactly, but they're close enough)

This was at 97% SoC. Pack avg temp of 47.3C. 0 MPH to 60 MPH in 3.01s (no rollout) seems pretty dang fast. 0-100 MPH in 7.57s also seems pretty fast. Max combined torque of 750.7 ft/lbs (should have graphed that...).

For this run I estimate the 1-ft point to be
0.232655s in, so "0"-60 with rollout would be 2.78s. Using that I estimate drag strip 60-ft time at 1.62s and 1/8th mile time at 7.07s with a 98.3 MPH 1/8th mile trap speed.

This was the 3rd full throttle event after leaving the garage with 100% charge and a max battery power heated pack. The other graphs are similar enough that I wont really bother.

I pick up my X P90DL a week from today. When the L retrofit was announced in June, 2015, I never would have guessed that I'd get the L from an X before the S.

Still third on the list, whatever that means. At this point I'm seriously wondering if Tesla lost my order, or the timestamp.