Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car went in for the upgrade at Burlingame yesterday. ETA two weeks!! It's probably going to be simply sitting in the backlot till the techs free up, I guess.

Got a nice loaner though; one of the very first P85Ds - probably produced a few days before mine - VIN 64136, silver with all-black-gloss treatment for all the chrome bits (including the badges on the back!). Probably traded in at some point.

I'm still waiting for the upgrade (to be done in Paramus, NJ). I actually placed the order back in October, but for some reason my card was not charged. I checked on the status in January and they finally charged the card. I guess I fell off the list and then got back on. I checked the status yesterday and Tesla said I was on the list. The Paramus service center said they only did 2 upgrades so far. Does anyone know if they did more upgrades than 2 and how many owners are on the wait list at this location ? I heard the number is 20, but I'm not sure if this is correct. At this rate, I hope it will be done by the end of the year since I may move out of state.

Has anyone had any luck getting an estimate on when your upgrade install would happen. The service center and parts people all say they have no ETA whatsoever. 1 month, 3 months, next year......no idea. At least when I ordered my car the waiting had a time frame around it. It has been 3 months now with no update, so yes I was late to the party on making a deposit.

The beast is alive!!

image.jpeg

Nice GG!! So, don't leave us hanging... What do you think??

So, @MarcG, here you go. From a standstill, power delivery's intense and smooth all the way and (subjectively) better than Insane. But, when I pushed it from 60-80 in bursts, there's this glorious extra bit of "whoooosh"! And, it keeps going and going without feeling like it's gasping for air like it did with Insane. That's the best I can describe the sensation. Love the upgrade! Good that I went for it after resisting for a few months :)

So, @MarcG, here you go. From a standstill, power delivery's intense and smooth all the way and (subjectively) better than Insane. But, when I pushed it from 60-80 in bursts, there's this glorious extra bit of "whoooosh"! And, it keeps going and going without feeling like it's gasping for air like it did with Insane. That's the best I can describe the sensation. Love the upgrade! Good that I went for it after resisting for a few months :)

You are so hooked. I remember when "...the reason I'm getting the Performance model is to get green..." Now you have upgraded to Ludi!

It is addictive...

:)

Mike

• Love
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Jealous. I ordered the upgrade on 9/29. I was scheduled for installation on 5/31-eight months later. As they were performing this they discovered a problem with the battery pack. Fremont engineering would not let them work on this specific section of the battery pack. A loaner battery pack was installed and my battery pack was crated (it weighs 1900 lbs) and is either waiting to be trucked or is in the process of being trucked back to California for examination and repair. Engineering won't allow the ludicrous upgrade on a loaner battery. Assuming it's trucked and not loaded on a train I am looking at least another 30 days and probably more. The service center is great but it's out of their hands.

Jealous. I ordered the upgrade on 9/29. I was scheduled for installation on 5/31-eight months later. As they were performing this they discovered a problem with the battery pack. Fremont engineering would not let them work on this specific section of the battery pack. A loaner battery pack was installed and my battery pack was crated (it weighs 1900 lbs) and is either waiting to be trucked or is in the process of being trucked back to California for examination and repair. Engineering won't allow the ludicrous upgrade on a loaner battery. Assuming it's trucked and not loaded on a train I am looking at least another 30 days and probably more. The service center is great but it's out of their hands.

I believe @lolachampcar had a similar situation. Took much longer than 30 days...

I got my pack back about a month ago with L enabled. It took a lot longer than I thought it would but that really should be no surprise. Tesla rightly concentrates their resources on issues that are front and center with customers. When packs are being repaired, the owner has a loaner so there really is no need to throw a lot of resources at a fast turn around time. In our case, we are kids at Christmas awaiting our new toy so, for us, time is a little more important.

I can say for sure that the car is more fun with the extra passing power. Now when I jab the throttle at 40 mph with an unsuspecting occupant I get that same holly stuff type comments you often hear when you launch the car. Good stuff.

Reactions: benjiejr
AndreyATC, mine is a June 2015 build and I will have it upgraded in July. Not sure what your question is about and why summer 2015 build matters? Why did you opt not to?

I put the deposit down, but after a few weeks they refunded it with following two separate emails
It is inventory car, but it's June 2015 build, so i was hoping to get the Ludi
Dear Andre,
Your order was cancelled because we did not have enough stock to fulfill your order.
Please reply to this email if you have any questions or concerns.
Sincerely,
Tesla

Thank you for your recent Tesla Gear order for the Ludicrous Retrofit deposit. We regret to inform you that this vehicle is ineligible to receive the retrofit at this time since the retrofit offer was only extended to existing P85D owners who had placed their original vehicle orders prior to the cut off time of 11am PST on Friday, 7/17/2015.

We will be issuing a refund on your deposit shortly and you will receive an email notification when it is complete. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Last edited: