Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug cap cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, thanks for all the responses.

That prototype is made of TPU (the same stuff use to make your cell phone case, only thicker and firmer) epoxied in 3 layers of carbon fiber. On the bottom of the TPU are five cylindrical shaped cups which press fit into the lug niches. It does take a little effort to press it on and pry it off, but no tools required. It is held on by friction and the vacuum created by the cups in the holes.

The carbon fiber is the labor intensive part of the build. Painting TPU is a lot easier and can reduce the complexity of build. Your choice of color is limited only by the choice of paint color.

Black:

IMG_20171107_170455045.jpg

Midnight silver:

IMG_20171107_135237508.jpg

Sorry I don't have any other colors yet, but you get the idea. As far as prices, that would have to wait until I find a manufacturer and determine actual cost.

Thanks again,
CJ

Hey, thanks for all the responses.

That prototype is made of TPU (the same stuff use to make your cell phone case, only thicker and firmer) epoxied in 3 layers of carbon fiber. On the bottom of the TPU are five cylindrical shaped cups which press fit into the lug niches. It does take a little effort to press it on and pry it off, but no tools required. It is held on by friction and the vacuum created by the cups in the holes.

The carbon fiber is the labor intensive part of the build. Painting TPU is a lot easier and can reduce the complexity of build. Your choice of color is limited only by the choice of paint color.

Black:

View attachment 258748

Midnight silver:

View attachment 258749

Sorry I don't have any other colors yet, but you get the idea. As far as prices, that would have to wait until I find a manufacturer and determine actual cost.

Thanks again,
CJ
count me in for a set of black ones :)

There should be a large market for these as deliveries hit their stride. However, I suspect Evannex, T-Sportsline, or others will jump in this market also. Hopefully being early to market will allow the first manufacturer to be more competitive price wish after the other competitors enter the market, and after they've recouped development/start-up cost from early sales.

Our lug nut caps already fit the Model 3. We'll be making an econ version for the Model 3.

tesla-model-3-tst-metallic-gray-grey-turbine-wheel-wheels-2.jpg

tesla-model-3-tst-metallic-gray-grey-turbine-wheel-wheels-5.jpg

I think it's a great product with potential. I don't know how you keep someone with existing connections from having them made in China for less than whatever you decide. But, I do wish you success!

Best I can do is to build a better quality product at a reasonable price. The head start will help a little, but if it is profitable, it will be copied and produced in China. I actually planed to share the design once completed for anyone to 3D print it themselves.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Kind of funny, I was re-reading through this thread to understand how these mount and it just hit me that these completely obscure the wheel lugs! When I first looked at the product placement, I just noticed the sweet CF and missed the fact that the lugs are hidden. Not saying that's good or bad, just I missed that! Anyway, still anxious to see some photoshops of this look!