Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luxury car dealer not interested in Tesla trade-in at any price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interesting experience at the local Audi/Porsche/BMW dealer today. I was looking at an Audi S4 and asked them if they were interested in taking in my 2014 Model S. The answer was a resounding no. The value was "too unpredictable" at auction for EVs according to the GM. For example they had recently taken in a Volt, sent it to their auction reseller, and the auction house offered them $1 for it. That's right. A dollar.

Now before everyone piles on the dealership, keep in mind these guys want to make a buck and would take anything in on trade if they thought they could make money on it. They had no problem losing a sale at the thought of having to deal with a Tesla trade-in.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and Canuck
That's funny since I sold mine to a CarMax type place and they were super excited to get it. They gave me more than any private owner was willing to pony up. It was right when Tesla released a flood of used cars too. Maybe try your luck at one of the CarMax type places. Good Luck!

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
That's funny since I sold mine to a CarMax type place and they were super excited to get it. They gave me more than any private owner was willing to pony up. It was right when Tesla released a flood of used cars too. Maybe try your luck at one of the CarMax type places. Good Luck!

I think they are just dumb. A Volt and a Tesla are both EVs just like a Chevy cruze and a Porche Panamera are ICEs. Would they be valued the same? I think the Tesla would have got a bid.

Had an interesting experience at the local Audi/Porsche/BMW dealer today. I was looking at an Audi S4 and asked them if they were interested in taking in my 2014 Model S. The answer was a resounding no...

I can see that. They don't know the difference between no-AP and AP, AP2.0, 2.5 and Tesla doesn't make it easy for them when it's introduced mid-year. Then people buy aftermarket mags and a spoiler, paint the calipers, add a "P" and even a "D" or a "+", all available on Ebay. And these little things make a big difference price wise, especially when they're really not there. I've shook my head more than a few times looking at luxury dealer ads describing a Tesla, then looking at the Tesla itself.

Reactions: MarkKW
I can see that. They don't know the difference between no-AP and AP, AP2.0, 2.5 and Tesla doesn't make it easy for them when it's introduced mid-year. Then people buy aftermarket mags and a spoiler, paint the calipers, add a "P" and even a "D" or a "+", all available on Ebay. And these little things make a big difference price wise, especially when they're really not there. I've shook my head more than a few times looking at luxury dealer ads describing a Tesla, then looking at the Tesla itself.

It is their business to know...

I wouldn't expect too much insight or understanding from a branded dealer when looking at a different brand in P/X.

They only want to know that they can get rid of it at auction, and roughly what they can expect to get.

I'd guess that there are too few Tesla's appearing at the auctions to have much of a track record or attract much of an audience there.

Better off selling privately or at one of the multi-brand locations like CarMax.

For example they had recently taken in a Volt, sent it to their auction reseller, and the auction house offered them $1 for it. That's right. A dollar.

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard, Even if a Volt was trashed, the battery would have a good value if parted out. Seems like their auction house was scamming them if the story was even true.

It is their business to know...

And that's why many businesses go under -- overextending themselves rather than dealing with what they know about. I say it's a business's business to know when to say "no" about what they need to know. When you run a business, you generally try to make money. If you want to spend your staff's time, and company resources, training people on Tesla's numerous changes affecting their value, then that's fine -- you can do that and see how it goes. But you can't say someone else has to that runs a business because that's their business. If I run a business in "luxury" cars (and it's debatable any Tesla is a luxury vehicle but assuming it is) it's not my business to have to deal in any luxury vehicle I decide not to deal in. To suggest otherwise shows a lack of knowledge of how to run a successful business, at least in my view. Do you think they really don't want to make money on a vehicle?

Now before everyone piles on the dealership, keep in mind these guys want to make a buck and would take anything in on trade if they thought they could make money on it.

Agreed.

Reactions: Lasairfion
I think it's also a bit unfair to put the onus on the dealership. They're just basing this transaction off the previous EV they had. I would suggest any annoyance be directed at their auction reseller who told them it was worth $1. Or perhaps you're just in an area with little demand (is the OP rural perhaps?) and the auction house struggle to shift EVs.

Bought my 2014 P85 from a Ford dealer a year ago. I kept an eye on it for 3months before buying. I think it spent 8 months there and had come down at least $8k in price.
People don't go to an ICE dealer to buy an EV the salesman can't tell them anything about.

My experience with ICE dealers selling EV’a is they seem to over price them not taking into account the savings that can be had for a new one (at least for now). I looked at a few MS70D’d that were priced almost as much as a new MS75D after state and federal rebates. I had to walk away from more than a few used MS because of this. I guess if they sit on it long enough, they will have to drop the price to what the market will bear.

[QUOTE="eye.surgeon, post: 2959392, member: 30188" For example they had recently taken in a Volt, sent it to their auction reseller, and the auction house offered them $1 for it. That's right. A dollar.
[/QUOTE]
Not surprised they said it but doubt that its true. My experience is they say what they believe makes them the most money in the short term (20 minutes or less?) Common for most interactions I had with dealers is they underestimate ones intelligence. A Volvo dealer told me Volvo is the last car made of steel and I should according to him buy one quickly before they changed to plastic. Your dealer probably thought if he said a Volt is worth $1 you would sell your Tesla for 2$ and feel it was a good deal. Pretending not interested in your car, hoping you would get scared and and then say -please can I at least get $2?
Similar happened when I sold my Audi. Dealer said it was worth minus $3000, with the logic that blue book was $7000 and it needed $10,000 in service fees that he made up as he was speaking. He also said that since I was a "good guy" he could give me $3000 for it despite the car being worth "less than nothing".

Last edited: