Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That maybe .but is it a question on the proposal form?
No it isn't so I will draw their attention to that extra security feature. It is dark, so in black/white under IR lighting.
garage.jpg

This is true but I’ve also ran equivalent quotes on the following:
EV6
Polestar 2
Mach e
Ionic V

They were all roughly £600

My 3 SR+ was £900 and running it on a Model Y LR was £1200.

As much as insurance has gone up across the board, there is no escaping that there IS an insurance issue with Tesla’s at the moment.
That's a very similar story to a friend of mine who's interested in a M3LR but has had massively cheaper quotes for Polestar et al.

... and does this result in a lower premium?

I also have HD CCTV and it has never made a blind bit of difference to my car Insurance costs.
The troubles with CCTV was highlighted by a few incidents I had. A case of vandalism to wife's car by a group of youths nicely recorded. Police response was 'Do you know who they are otherwise we aren't going to find them'. Not an important enough crime for them to bother?
A break-in at my business and the perpetrator wore a hoodie. Again, police couldn't be bothered to go check other CCTV in the area to follow the chap back to identifiable.

I was actually surprised mine hasn't gone up more, last year for my M3LR was £387 with Churchill. Since then I've has 2 bumps (1 hitting a deer and another with a Van that still isnt settled:mad:) So my NCD has gone from 9+ to 1. This years renewal quote is £748. Cheapest comparison I've found on websites is £830. If i'm honest i was expecting well over the thousand mark.

It's insurance time again and LV have hiked around £155 to £565 - this is for a MYP 2023. I know insurance prices have gone up and it's a minefield but I guess that's par for the course at the moment? A quick run through the comparison sites suggests over £700!

Anything I'm missing or just grin and bear it and press the button? I'll make the usual call to try and get a bit off but looks like I'm probably stuck with it? We're both long term drivers, decent area and no claims for a good while.

Cheers
Mine last year.. post accident, was about 550. This year the same firm quoted 860. Eventually settled for 770..couldn't get cheaper...cost of living and whatever bollocks you'd care to make up to justify it. The whole insurance process needs investigating IMO. All parties involved committing vast fraud

Reactions: spon88
LV states i need a tracker on the MY before they can quote. I'm not sure if the Tesla 'tracking' feature within the app counts as a tracker. has everyone who is insured with LV here stated they have a tracker?

Insurance company saying they need a tracker normally means a Thatcham-certified device, and the Tesla inbuild one isn't that. But ... insurer might actually allow Tesla one, if you ask. My insurer has a value limit for tracker, I just lowered the insured value of my car below that limit, rather than have all the trouble and expense of fitting a 3rd party and approved tracker (and an annual subscription)

LV states i need a tracker on the MY before they can quote. I'm not sure if the Tesla 'tracking' feature within the app counts as a tracker. has everyone who is insured with LV here stated they have a tracker?
I discussed it with them when I had an M3P and they said the default one was fine. I haven't raised it it with them again since we switched to an MYP earlier this year. Is that a definite or possibly an advisor making it up as they go along? Grateful if you can let us know if they are now insisting please.

I discussed it with them when I had an M3P and they said the default one was fine. I haven't raised it it with them again since we switched to an MYP earlier this year. Is that a definite or possibly an advisor making it up as they go along? Grateful if you can let us know if they are now insisting please.
the problem is the burden of proof if they suddenly change their mind about whether or not Tesla built-in is fine. If they tell you it is, ask to have it sent in writing (email is fine).
If they end up saying no on the phone, you can be sure they will keep the recording so you won’t be able to claim that you though it was fine…

Reactions: spon88
the problem is the burden of proof if they suddenly change their mind about whether or not Tesla built-in is fine. If they tell you it is, ask to have it sent in writing (email is fine).
If they end up saying no on the phone, you can be sure they will keep the recording so you won’t be able to claim that you though it was fine…
But I'm told they have to release recorded calls if you request it. I once got into a dispute with Eurotunnel over poor fare advice and forced them to release the call I made to their operator. They weren't able to withold it althought they tried initially. I guess the same would go for insurers? But I do take your point and clarification is needed.

I insured with LV for years and they were fine with the tesla tracker.

They even considered the Leaf tracker to be valid and you might remember how crappy that was..

I stopped insuring with them with the Y because they weren't competitive (despite it being a very similar car) and ended up with Admiral who have never even asked.

What I'm waiting for is the first insurer to give a discount for P2D..

And the only reason for that has to be repair costs and delays...
Plus the fact that a relatively minor bump can leave the car written off if there’s any suspicion the battery pack is damaged. (Happened to me, so I can say that first hand. Car was drivable, and seemed eminently repairable, but written off. Not surprised premiums are up).