Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance is crazy seems better if you are outside Manchester. II moved from a 60k+ jaguar car to the Tesla y; wife has it and the insurance less than 50% of mine for more mileage and I am still in her policy. It is the costs to repair and the speciality of the repair that I think is responsible not just the speed (one can see that black box recording does not decrease premiums much).

The aim of the 3 and y seem to be to Mass market akin to the Corolla however the insurance costs will certainly hamper uptake in Uk. I had originally planned to replace my wife’s with another Tesla when her pcp is up however if the insurance does not come down I’ll look elsewhere and I am sure I will not be alone.

Reactions: PITA
Insurance is crazy seems better if you are outside Manchester. II moved from a 60k+ jaguar car to the Tesla y; wife has it and the insurance less than 50% of mine for more mileage and I am still in her policy. It is the costs to repair and the speciality of the repair that I think is responsible not just the speed (one can see that black box recording does not decrease premiums much).

The aim of the 3 and y seem to be to Mass market akin to the Corolla however the insurance costs will certainly hamper uptake in Uk. I had originally planned to replace my wife’s with another Tesla when her pcp is up however if the insurance does not come down I’ll look elsewhere and I am sure I will not be alone.
When is the Jaguar insurance due for renewal?
I noticed a headline stating that car insurance is up 50% this year across the board. It will be interesting to see what they want for the Jaguar.

When my wife got knocked of her push bike, the all in legal paid by the (at fault) driver’s insurer was 800k, so I take the repair issue cost excuse with a bit of a pinch of salt. It is often not the only cost involved in a crunch.

I have also not seem any data suggesting lots of Tesla’s are crashing. Given the tech it should reduce incidents, despite all the random acts of autopilot. So even if repair costs are higher, there should be fewer of them surely? And theft has been near zilch (so far).

All in I think they are gouging and know they have space to as other running costs are lower. And I would bet you can prove that with accident data.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Just renewed with LV £386 up to £588, quite a shock!

python.gif

Reactions: Wattsisname
What did you ding? ... Putins Bugatti Veyron
I had a brainfart at a t junction. Watching left and right for a safe time to pull out..pulled out slowly and horror hadn't seen the car dead ahead waiting to turn in. Hit brakes and hardly touched him but the crumple zone on mine did just that. Tiny dent in his wing but front panel, bumper and under tray on my S split. Was drive able home though..
I rang up yesterday. There was a second incident where a driver claimed i reversed into them.. spurious accusation and the assessor that looked at my pristine unmarked car agreed it was a crock but apparently that is still an open case!
Which all makes 8t hard to go looking for alternate insurers. Daft since with protected NCD that still day I have 9 yrs but would have to declare both incidents.
Tempted just to sell the bloody thing and go with a cheap s/h Toyota
I should add that when I was accused of reversing into the other car in a car park I got out and couldn't see any damage to either but the other driver was being a real pita so I told them to claim rather than argue. It may just have been an attempt to extort?

Reactions: PITA
I had a brainfart at a t junction. Watching left and right for a safe time to pull out..pulled out slowly and horror hadn't seen the car dead ahead waiting to turn in. Hit brakes and hardly touched him but the crumple zone on mine did just that. Tiny dent in his wing but front panel, bumper and under tray on my S split. Was drive able home though..
I rang up yesterday. There was a second incident where a driver claimed i reversed into them.. spurious accusation and the assessor that looked at my pristine unmarked car agreed it was a crock but apparently that is still an open case!
Which all makes 8t hard to go looking for alternate insurers. Daft since with protected NCD that still day I have 9 yrs but would have to declare both incidents.
Tempted just to sell the bloody thing and go with a cheap s/h Toyota
I should add that when I was accused of reversing into the other car in a car park I got out and couldn't see any damage to either but the other driver was being a real pita so I told them to claim rather than argue. It may just have been an attempt to extort?

Sorry to read that... just unfortunate.

My Vauxhall is only £250 per year to insure. Nice car. Slow & steady so it suits me when I'm not rampaging in the Tesla Performance option.