Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 $15K in damage from hitting a rock to the underbody?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same thing happen, my wife ran over a bit of rip rap, basically a large landscaping rock, and they had to replace the battery. M3 LR AWD, battery, whell/tire replacement, four wheel alignment was about $19,000 all in. Thank goodness for insurance. The car only had about 5000 miles or so on it at the time. Made sure they installed a NEW battery, not a refurb, as that is what my insurance coverage covered, NEW OEM parts.

I had the same thing happen, my wife ran over a bit of rip rap, basically a large landscaping rock, and they had to replace the battery. M3 LR AWD, battery, whell/tire replacement, four wheel alignment was about $19,000 all in. Thank goodness for insurance. The car only had about 5000 miles or so on it at the time. Made sure they installed a NEW battery, not a refurb, as that is what my insurance coverage covered, NEW OEM parts.

If you don’t mind me asking, who is your insurance provider? I am starting to second guess our choice of carrier.

I ran over a rock in the road last week - looked like roadkill, but it was a rock. Huge bang underneath. Drove home, charging overheating error. Dinged the battery and suspension crossmember bracket up front. $14,461. Battery pack alone is 11k.
Collision insurance taking care of all except the deductible.

I hope you'll get to keep the original?

There is HUGE value in the three remaining, undamaged modules, likely about $9k or so . . . .

I ran over something, not sure what it was on my old escalade. punctured the gas tank. gas dripped all over the highway until somebody alerted me. Had to replace the whole gas tank
Small difference in price though.:p
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.02.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.03.36 PM.png

I'm sure someone here would have helped you out with that . . . .
Especially in the Bay Area. I still haven't heard of someone getting the damaged battery back from Tesla. In many states, including CA, you have a right to get used parts back from mechanics. I wonder what Tesla does with all the used battery packs? The invoices don't seem to indicate that they're using refurbished packs as replacements.
@planemechanic Did the new pack have full range?