Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underbody of the battery bent from impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updates: the insurance gave the OK for the "repairs" (meaning the new battery). Tesla said "OK, now we wait. We will call you when the car is ready, between 2 weeks and 2 months" ... I'm speechless!
that's Tesla for you... they happily install *every* part into the thousands+ cars they produce daily... but god forbid they work on having a stable and timely supply chain of *key* parts ready for the service centers. Even less excusable for a company priding themselves in efficiencies, less parts, mostly in house and lean structures... A new battery pack shouldn't take longer than 1 week from order/ delivery at SC if you run a tight ship.

makes you wonder how much of the fairly high insurance premiums (Model 3 SR+ is now significantly cheaper than a 3 series BMW but about the same or even higher in premiums) are driven by the fact that insurance companies have to dish out $$$ for rental cars for weeks+ whereas other manufacturers fix it in much less time.

All done. Car was ready last week, on last day of June. A couple more days for the insurance to solve the payment.
All good. I'm waiting for my OBD dongle to read the BMS but using the consumption screen calculations I can see an usable capacity of 79Kwh on the new battery.

Also, the aero shield under the front part of the car has been changed. It is no longer cloth, not it is some hard plastic.

All done. Car was ready last week, on last day of June. A couple more days for the insurance to solve the payment.
All good. I'm waiting for my OBD dongle to read the BMS but using the consumption screen calculations I can see an usable capacity of 79Kwh on the new battery.

Also, the aero shield under the front part of the car has been changed. It is no longer cloth, not it is some hard plastic.
I’ve missed all of this thread before.

Good to see you got is solved and a new batt can not be wrong!

The energy screen is “locked” at 79kWh so you wont see more than that even if it has a 82 kWh capacity.
79 is a good start anyway so when checking the BMS we can hope for 80.5-81 or so.

Reactions: ro_explorer

great news. that felt aeroshield in the first (awful) and second (still super weak) variant was super prone to damage. also doesn't protect the front of battery at all from impacts...

Can you tell us more about the thing you hit? Looks like it was only about 6 cm in diameter.
Definitely not 6cm in diameter .. much larger. It was laying down in a sort of parallelepipedal form and the lowest point on the front driving train of the car touched it making it tumble ... so I got hit with its edges on the underbody of the car (you could actually see lines of impact, not points of impact.

I took it exactly in between the front wheels and the "jump" was definitely from the swaybar impact.

Reactions: PianoAl
I'm curious about the repair timing. Do you all think that most of the time was spent waiting for parts? How many hours would be involved in the actual replacement?
The car went to service on June 7th .. it was probed and tested until ~June 10th when it was put to rest in their parking area, with 20% charge, waiting for the new battery.
I was seeing it slowly losing charge, about 1% every 3 days when, suddenly, on the morning of June 30th I saw it in the app with all doors, frunk and trunk open, then, by evening it was parked outside the service center, charging on their local supercharger.

So, swapping the battery was a matter of hours ... but it took 3 weeks for the new battery to arrive.

The car went to service on June 7th .. it was probed and tested until ~June 10th when it was put to rest in their parking area, with 20% charge, waiting for the new battery.
I was seeing it slowly losing charge, about 1% every 3 days when, suddenly, on the morning of June 30th I saw it in the app with all doors, frunk and trunk open, then, by evening it was parked outside the service center, charging on their local supercharger.

So, swapping the battery was a matter of hours ... but it took 3 weeks for the new battery to arrive.
So, 2wks to 2months was accurate, and luckily closer to the 2wks.

Are you sure? I could have sworn I read the packs are modular. $10k euros for an entirely new 75kw or so pack is less than I'd have guessed.

You're not entirely wrong, back in 2019, Elon Musk tweeted about replacing individual modules:

"Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k."

That said, they still don't offer individual module replacement as a repair option, for any of their models. Instead, they offer new or remanufactured battery packs, and take your old pack back as a core. Then I'm pretty sure Tesla themselves then open up the used packs, and can replace modules and offer them as remanufacture packs for someone else.

It's not like the old Prius HV batteries, where it was pretty easy to open up the packs, swap and rebalance modules, and then put it back together. There's only a couple of firms at present, also around these forums, that can do similar things for the Tesla battery packs, and offer a more reasonable used pack replacement for Model S/X currently.

You're not entirely wrong, back in 2019, Elon Musk tweeted about replacing individual modules:

"Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k."

That said, they still don't offer individual module replacement as a repair option, for any of their models. Instead, they offer new or remanufactured battery packs, and take your old pack back as a core. Then I'm pretty sure Tesla themselves then open up the used packs, and can replace modules and offer them as remanufacture packs for someone else.

It's not like the old Prius HV batteries, where it was pretty easy to open up the packs, swap and rebalance modules, and then put it back together. There's only a couple of firms at present, also around these forums, that can do similar things for the Tesla battery packs, and offer a more reasonable used pack replacement for Model S/X currently.

Elon tweeted. Lol.

Model 3 body is designed like a "commercial truck" for a million mile (!!!) life ... lol

that's why they don't come with mudflaps ; experience severe stone chip abrasion behind the not fully lined wheel wells and collect dirt/mud in corrosion prone areas behind wheel wells/ rocker panels?

The Model 3 is a fine car but it's certainly not designed to last "a million miles" ... which would be for someone driving 25k miles annually still 40 yrs ...

Reactions: afadeev and PianoAl

while maybe 3/Y four module setup and BMS are designed for swap, i don't see it happening
i'm not sure what Tesla uses for warranty replacements but i'd bet its cheaper for them to put new pack in...

just look on eBay what those packs cost now n by the time 3/Y are out of warranty i expect even lower so none of DIYers will bother with swaps either...

1688766921865.png

Now if only S/X packs came down in price to this point :)

Others here have claimed that even Tesla is not able to mix and match modules in refurbished packs because the Tesla BMS is finicky about even the slightest imbalance (as aftermarket pack rebuilders have discovered).

If so, that would mean that "module replacement" means replacing all of the modules in an existing case and electronics with a matched set of balanced modules (either new modules, or a matched balanced set from a returned pack where only the case and/or electronics are bad) in order to build a refurbished pack.

No, that tweet is about replacing all of the modules once the pack has degraded to much. Not individual modules.