Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Car Wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone - newbie here! Took delivery 10 days ago of an M3P MSM and absolutely loving it!
Have been thinking about getting it washed and confused with the info in the manual.
It says no automatic and to avoid pressure washing around the sensors and cameras.

Has anyone got their recent cars washed ? Any tips? Thanks

I’ve only hand-washed my Model 3 except after a 650-mile trip during which the vehicle got very, very dirty from rain and suicidal bugs. I took it to an automated wash, the kind you stay in the car and ride it through. The wash itself used rotating brushes, probably the worst case scenario. After returning home, I hand-washed the car again and I saw no damage whatever from the automated wash.

3 things to do: turn wipers off, fold side mirrors in, put car in Neutral and don’t raise your weight off the drivers seat as that puts the car into Park.

I still hand-wash but am not afraid of the automated washes when needed. But that’s me.

Statistically hand car washes are more likely to scratch paint than automatic ones apparently. Good Automatic ones filter the water so there is no grit. You have no such guarantee with a hand car wash. One bit of grit on the cloth........

I personally would stick to a two bucket method hand wash, but appreciated not everyone has the time to do this. Perhaps a good clean followed up with a spray on hydrophobic such as Gyeon WetCoat or similar will mean the dirt doesn’t stick on as much?

Reactions: Durzel
You'll never get concensus on how to was a car - too many opinions.
For me I jet wash but not too close ( I once blasted a hand sized piece of paint of my 200sx). I;m too cheap to buya faom lance and anyway I dont like too much chemical crap getting into the local drainage (rural wales with plenty of mud and tractor tyre clods too).
2 buckets afterwards and then it depends- at the moment I'm playing with a really cheap sealant that has a lousy reputation (but only 'cos folk expect too much) - wipe on a panel at a time - leave depending on temp 3-15 mins and buff it (so in colder weather you can get several panels done). Next wash stops the dirt sticking and depending how often you have a need to clean you might be able to skip another application - good for a few weeks.
It's a clean shiny car but i'm not obsessive. Whatever you do it's going to get scratches specially when you have to hide in the hedge on a single track road while in a 'passing bay'

Reactions: Cwmwd and Roy W.
I’ve just managed to wash mine this afternoon, between the showers.

I usually snowfoam mine, hose it off, then snow foam again and gently rub down with a wash mitt.

Today, because I was short of time, and the weather was threatening, I just used the two bucket method. Autoglym shampoo. Then towel dry while applying Autoglym Aqua Wax. I actually use the bulk version, called Express Wax, in a 5 litre container, which is much cheaper.

62C25D69-552F-4122-A355-8A0CB0635567.jpeg
0AAE7A37-1394-46B5-8EE9-A4510D109BD6.jpeg

Looking great!!! The red just pops when clean and in the sunshine. I went for the blue but red was a close second.

my current method is:

1. Gtechniq Snowfoam or Bill Hamber Autofoam, if really dirty.

2. Gtechniq G-Wash Shampoo or Gyeon Bathe Shampoo depending on my mood. With a 2 bucket method.

3. Where I have PPF on the front half I apply Gyeon WetCoat and wash off.

4. Towel Dry.

will take pictures next time.

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but... I'm personally somewhat sceptical about "ceramic" coatings. I've tried to find some technical information on what they actually are, chemically, and whether they really work (based on some proper experimental tests rather than anecdotal evidence). To date, all I find are endless posts by detailers and the companies who peddle the stuff. I reckon they are probably based on some sort of poly siloxane which isn't such an exotic chemical really and available quite cheaply. However, they get called all sorts of fancy names (like "crystal serum") to make them sound fancy and then sold at crazy prices. So, I'm sceptical! I appreciate that when applied by a professional detailer that you're getting a lot more than the coating (i.e. the surface polishing and defect correction), but even so.

Anyhow, I've used this stuff for many years and I think it works very well. It's not "ceramic", but it does chemically bond to the surface and offers good hydroscopic action (so nice beading of water on the surface). It's also cheap and easy to apply.

Klasse Sealant Glaze

Reactions: Roy W.