Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 CCS Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question around charging. Someone may have tried this or something similar on a recent S or X. Ideally a 3, but since there aren't too many of those in the wild yet it is unlikely.

A Supercharger is supposed to pop up near me soon, but when "soon" is is anyones guess!

Most chargers around me are 22KW. There's a few rapids, but many more 22Kw chargers. The M3 onboard charger is 11Kw so using Type 2 will max out at 11Kw.

If I purchased a Type2 > CCS adapter and connected to a 22Kw charger would the car draw the full 22Kw or be limited to 11Kw?

Basically, I am asking does the CCS adapter trigger the onboard charger to be bypassed. If it does not, does anyone here know what the trigger is?

A Supercharger is supposed to pop up near me soon,

Sorry, can't remember, do you not have off-road parking?

Supercharger is more useful if it is 50-100 miles away, and on your arterial route(s) home and then rely on Wall Charger for day to day travel.

Not much Supercharger construction in Ireland as yet ...

... you can charge using CCS (i.e. Model-3) faster at e.g. Ionity, but I don't suppose they are rolling out your way yet, they are being pretty slow mainland UK (compared to Continental EU)

Sorry, can't remember, do you not have off-road parking?

Supercharger is more useful if it is 50-100 miles away, and on your arterial route(s) home and then rely on Wall Charger for day to day travel.

Not much Supercharger construction in Ireland as yet ...

... you can charge using CCS (i.e. Model-3) faster at e.g. Ionity, but I don't suppose they are rolling out your way yet, they are being pretty slow mainland UK (compared to Continental EU)
I do have off road parking, but I find it handy to top up when out and about. There's also 2 50Kw CCS about 10 minutes away from me, so i have noting to complain about really! I was just wondering if I could utilise the 22Kw, say If I was only popping into a shop for an hour or so.

I had hoped the CCS adapter done some AC->DC conversion but it seems its just a physical shape change.

I was just wondering if I could utilise the 22Kw, say If I was only popping into a shop for an hour or so

I just wouldn't bother (I may not be representative though!)

I never use a destination charger if I have range-enough - someone else critical for range can have it (or some <spit> PHEV that only does half-a-dozen-miles on Battery probably :( )

I would much prefer the things were never free - cheap is fine, free is abused. Home Juice works out at 2-3P a mile, getting 20 miles "free" whilst shopping and saving 40P isn't really going to make any difference to anyone - other than the person who needs the 20 miles to get home.

That's my one-mile, 2p, view anyway!

I just wouldn't bother (I may not be representative though!)

I never use a destination charger if I have range-enough - someone else critical for range can have it (or some <spit> PHEV that only does half-a-dozen-miles on Battery probably :( )

I would much prefer the things were never free - cheap is fine, free is abused. Home Juice works out at 2-3P a mile, getting 20 miles "free" whilst shopping and saving 40P isn't really going to make any difference to anyone - other than the person who needs the 20 miles to get home.

That's my one-mile, 2p, view anyway!

Same here. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to plug into a destination charger if I was paying for it.
The only time I use destination chargers is when they are actually free and I happen to be parked there for some other reason.

Huh... I didn't realise that the Model 3 couldn't charge using a standard Type 2 rapid charger at 43kW. That seems short-sighted. I thought the whole point of switching to standard was to allow owners to charge anywhere vs. the more limited Model S / X 'Type-2-style' port.

Are they common? (IDK). All the Type-2 I have charged at has been very slow

Quite common, I think? At least across central Scotland.

fyHRGSk.png

Not something we'll need to use much anyway, but definitely odd that it doesn't support rapid charging.

Not something we'll need to use much anyway, but definitely odd that it doesn't support rapid charging.

"rapid AC charging" ... more to the point. What cars do? I've just skimmed over the popular models (Zoe, Kona, e-Tron, etc) and they are all 6 to 11kW for the on-board AC charger.

The Model 3 smashes it out of the park for DC charging and has one of the largest AC chargers (at 11kW) ... I cant see much to criticise here?

"rapid AC charging" ... more to the point. What cars do? I've just skimmed over the popular models (Zoe, Kona, e-Tron, etc) and they are all 6 to 11kW for the on-board AC charger.

The Model 3 smashes it out of the park for DC charging and has one of the largest AC chargers (at 11kW) ... I cant see much to criticise here?

You’re totally right. It turns out I’ve been making all the wrong assumptions here.

There are also a lot of rapid CCS chargers at 50kW across Scotland. Apologies!

• Love
Reactions: one4spl
Same here. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to plug into a destination charger if I was paying for it.
The only time I use destination chargers is when they are actually free and I happen to be parked there for some other reason.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I've never owned a full EV so I may not need to top up as often as I'd thought. Time will tell I guess!

There are also a lot of rapid CCS chargers at 50kW across Scotland.

May not be relevant, but iPace owners almost universally find that none of the Scottish CCS chargers work for them (one particular type I think, from memory CYC). I know some Tesla's in EU have had compatibility problems at 3rd party CCS, and given that most Tesla would choose Supercharger where one is available, there might not be that many Teslas charging at CCS so numbers will be tiny and failures should be given due weight accordingly (and almost no Model-3 in Scotland, so far, left alone 3rd party charging, to have any data about).

Perhaps worth having a look on Zap map or Plusgshare comments to see if Tesla have charged and successful, or not

I've never owned a full EV so I may not need to top up as often as I'd thought. Time will tell I guess!

TD;DR; would be:

Travelling out of range today?

No = charge overnight at home, drive it without any concern to consumption

Yes = plan where you will charge. Stopping at Rapid D/C charge (e.g. Supercharger) with low State-of-Charge will give you faster charge time (battery charges fasted (linear) from 0% to 60%, then tapers and slows down. 70-80% takes about twice as long as 60%-70% and 95-100% is about the same speed as a 13 AMP plug!!)

So you will want to stop, say, 150 miles from home.

You are also best to stop at the furthest charger because you will be able to more accurately predict how much you need to reach destination. For example, if you had got stuck in traffic / roadworks you might arrive with 10% more than expect - so 10% less top-up needed. If you stopped early in your journey you would have to fill to max to be sure you didn't run out ... and then arrive at destination with 10% more than you needed. Home electricity cheaper than 3rd party charge (unless it is free :) )

last thing: overall journey is shorter if you drive-faster and Supercharge-longer (up to about 90MPH) - provided when you get there not all stalls are full etc. But if you are stopping there anyway ... then better to drive faster, arrive at lower SOC and charge a bit longer.

If your range is, say, 250 miles and you are visiting someone, say, 150 miles away then a Supercharger about 50 miles into your return leg (200 miles total) would be ideal. You then have 100 miles to go, would expect to arrive at about 20%, need to charge to 40% (but add 10-20% more for "contingency") ... so if you had hit traffic and actually arrived at 30% then you won't be there as long :)

A Better Route Planner is really useful for planning out-of-range days

Question about the CCS connector on the M3 (not clear if i can) - Can it use the Type 2 43Kw Ecotricity or others connectors or just the CCS ones?

The reason is that there is a Ecotricity charger on my route but only has the Type 2 47Kw one (Welcome Break Derby East & West on the A50). It is shown on Zap Map.

There are others nearby if i need too use them but just wanted to check if its possible to use this one?

Can it use the Type 2 43Kw Ecotricity or others connectors or just the CCS ones?

Can use Type-2 (A/C) or CCS (D/C) ... but from earlier discussion don't think it can use as high as 43kW A/C

You'd be better off with the CCS if it is not occupied - CCS is usually minimum of 50 kW, and quite often more than that (and for new ones, like Ionity, then "much more" than that and in fact more than current Supercharger)

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
May not be relevant, but iPace owners almost universally find that none of the Scottish CCS chargers work for them (one particular type I think, from memory CYC).

That’s interesting. On my recent trip to Skye in my Kona I found all the Chargeplace Scotland CCS chargers worked faultlessly. I wonder if I’m just lucky in that my Kona works with them, or if the problem is with the I-Pace?

I had the opposite experience with Ecotricity CCS - none of them worked on the Kona, so it’ll be interesting to see exactly what works with the M3.

if the problem is with the I-Pace?

Yes, it is. I'm not technical, but I think the issue is that with older chargers the initial negotiation causes the charge rate to be established in a way that isn't compatible with both ends, and the two ends negotiate in such a way that fallback then doesn't happen as it should - so from user's perspective "Charging failed". So you wind up with: iPace saying "Its all old kit, we don't want to have to be bothered to support this" and iPace owners saying "But those are the only types of charges in 90% of Scotland so you need to" ... and of course the charger owners saying "Not many EVs exist, so we aren't making any money, we can't afford to improve anything"

Makes me realise just how worthwhile Tesla Supercharger network is - I thought CCS being a well thought through Standard meant there would be no problems with "everyone adopting it" where the reality is that "Tesla proprietary, all-under-one-roof" is a much better "standard" to have :)

I had the opposite experience with Ecotricity CCS - none of them worked on the Kona,

iPace also having trouble with Ecotricity MSA chargers too I believe

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.