Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 first impressions and advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got the Tesla bug, initially I thought I would look for a used S (I thought the 3 was ugly from the full front view and the lack of instrument cluster would bother me) but after reading a lot and testing at Tesla a 3 and an S I think I could live with the 3 and save money.

I really don’t need a car now. I drive a 2014 Avalon hybrid limited that is very smooth, well built, frugal, and absolutely trouble free since day 1 - now it’s at 70k miles. I just sold my well built LC for Offroading and I could just save the money or sell the Avalon plus add the LC proceeds and buy a new AWD M3 or a slightly used one.

In order to get a better feeling of the M3 I rented a 2019 AWD long range this weekend and did a long trip, from SoCal to Big Sur, around 800 miles trip in one day.
Things I liked:
- Cruise control - was much better than my Avalon, it would slow down or accelerate very smooth, very reliable. It also felt like it keeps my car in the lane a bit better than when it’s not engage (this was not the AP, I tried that too). Worked great in LA traffic
- AP - is quite nice, works pretty well for the most part. Really nice feature on the longer stretches
- steering felt more precise than I expected
- my back did not hurt the next day - this was the most important thing I wanted to test
- trunk is huge especially when you consider the drunk and extra cubby
- great power - it was very, very quick, instant torque regardless of the speed or incline

Things that I disliked:
- I did experience two instances of the phantom braking, quite annoying
- AP did not work well in some of the tight curves going up to Big Sur, I had to disengage it
- AP while it tries to stay centered in the lane it felt dangerously close especially when driving by trucks. Ai would have put more distance when possible
-19” rims made the ride very harsh when the road was not well maintained, if I buy one I will get the 18 although I do like the look of the 19”s
- the interior felt pretty cheap. The outside also had the typical misalignments
- the seats (Black) felt too narrow for me but they turned out acceptable in linger ride
- the car felt cramped compared to my Avalon (or Land Cruiser of course)
- it was slightly more noisy than expected especially over 70mph. I think the Avalon it’s quieter

I’m debating now what should do next:
- order a new one right away blue with white interior, awd)
- wait/search for a used one, I’m thinking in a couple of months more would be in the market as people switch to Y or other options
- keep my Avalon for a while, there is really nothing wrong with it, it’s the first time I keep a car for 6 years, everything before was 1-3 years

Any thoughts you guys might have?

Attachments

• B3B3F2E2-7A61-4C1E-BB4A-B8EE80AED42F.jpeg
    B3B3F2E2-7A61-4C1E-BB4A-B8EE80AED42F.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 76
Put down a Pros & Con list for both vehicles with gas spending and energy savings. Then make the decision. By your post, it seems you did not like how the Tesla drove...

My decision was, yes spending more on a car payment, but I will still be saving money for fuel and insurance. Also the benefit of a 0-60 in 3.2.

Maybe I was too harsh in my description- I did enjoy the car overall, especially the power, the cruise and the AP. For me these are the most important features that attract me on this car. And I tested after that another 2019 at Tesla with 18” tires which I liked - they called me and said they would sell me a demo for a small saving. We started the paperwork and before finalizing the deal it turned out the car has been registered already (was a return) and thus would not qualify for the $2000 clean air rebate and the $1000 Edison electric rebate (did I get this right, you still receive about $3k back in SoCal?) so in the end the difference between a new one and their demo was too small to justify buying used.

Money wise I know my answer, keeping the Avalon makes more sense. To me the M3 is an emotional buy, getting the a cool new car full of technology. The real benefit I tell myself would be the cruise and AP that would enable me to take longer trips with less fatigue. In a way it would replace the Land Cruiser - the LC took me to wonderful, hard to access trails and created great memories. The M3 would of course take me only to paved roads but likely encourage me to go out more often - I was only doing 4-5 trips in the LC/yr.
6B109C5A-BDFB-4BFD-862B-6D15A1978D82.jpeg

My experience is when someone takes the time to write as much as you have written so far about a car, it is because you really want it. The practical side of you is telling yourself you don’t need it so why spend the money. Obviously only you can make the decision though.

We traded in a Lexus LS460 and a Toyota Prius last year for 2 Model 3’s. We are also very conservative with our spending. But the Model 3 purchases were the best we ever made. The Lexus was a very nice car but I just didn’t like driving it. With the Model 3 I look forward to driving every day. And I’m not a car guy. It’s just so much fun to drive that it changes my outlook on going places. To me that was worth every penny.

I don’t use AP. Mainly because I don’t drive on freeways much. But I think your overall observations about it are accurate. It generally works well but has some occasional glitches.

Everything else about the car is pretty much flawless though. And both of our cars were delivered in perfect condition with no panel gaps or other cosmetic defects. And neither car has needed service during our entire ownership period.

My Lexus was costing me $300 every time I needed an oil change. Bigger service intervals would run at least $1,000. All of that goes away with the Tesla.

...- I did experience two instances of the phantom braking, quite annoying...

It's a common issue among manufacturers. Some got lawsuits, some do recalls.

I am surprised that Tesla has not got any lawsuits on this issue. Maybe because Tesla claims Autopilot/FSD are beta.

I've been able to override phantom brake when it happens so although it's not desirable, it's still manageable as a beta product.

...- AP did not work well in some of the tight curves going up to Big Sur, I had to disengage it...

...AP while it tries to stay centered in the lane it felt dangerously close especially when driving by trucks. Ai would have put more distance when possible...

Again, it's a beta product so I just need to learn what works and what don't and adapt to it.

...I’m debating now what should do next...

Everything has its pros and cons so you just choose whatever best for you.

Looks like your rental came with tinted windows. One thing you should keep in mind is that the car doesn't come with tinted windows and if thats important to you, you would have to get them tinted after you take delivery.

M3 is the best car I have ever owned, by a wide margin. Don't confuse minimalist with cheap on the interior. The interior is serene, functional, and beautiful when compared to any other vehicle. Maybe not an issue for you but environmentally you would be upgrading from Trump to Gore as well. I say buy the M3.

Edit -- BTW I have had my 3 off-road on many occasions. As long as bottoming out can be controlled it is great on rough roads.

I own a 3 but personally in your case I would wait until the Y's start rolling out to make sure the 3 is best for you. The next few months will see a lot of direct reviews/experiences on the Y and also the used market on the 3 will grow. By waiting you might also get a nice deal on a lightly used 3 if you decide to go that route.

- order a new one right away blue with white interior, awd)

Pros:

Experience Tesla without waiting. I switched to Tesla in 2012 because I couldn't stand the smell of gasoline anymore. With the imperfect beta Autopilot/FSD, my driving has been much safer and much more relaxing (as long as I constantly create a counter-torque with my hand on the steering wheel to monitor its operation).

Cons:

Might miss a future opportunity for getting one cheaper as stated below:

...- wait/search for a used one, I’m thinking in a couple of months more would be in the market as people switch to Y or other options...

Pro:

Cheaper

Cons:

Used cars are cheaper for a reason.

...- keep my Avalon for a while, there is really nothing wrong with it, it’s the first time I keep a car for 6 years, everything before was 1-3 years...

Pros:

No need for additional cash to get a Tesla.

Cons:

Still have to be bothered with oil changes, tune-ups...

Old technology.