Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 is a BMW, people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I felt the need to revive this thread. Was going to start my own but a search revealed that someone beat me to it.

I have had a Tesla Model 3 for a month now and people referring to it as an M3 on the forum is driving me nuts. M3 is an iconic BMW, not a Tesla Model 3. There has to be a different way to refer to the Tesla like TM3 or something. Nobody who is into cars (outside of this little forum bubble) would ever think Tesla if I told them I drive an M3.

I felt the need to revive this thread. Was going to start my own but a search revealed that someone beat me to it.

I have had a Tesla Model 3 for a month now and people referring to it as an M3 on the forum is driving me nuts. M3 is an iconic BMW, not a Tesla Model 3. There has to be a different way to refer to the Tesla like TM3 or something. Nobody who is into cars (outside of this little forum bubble) would ever think Tesla if I told them I drive an M3.

Nobody would know what a P3D- is outside of this forum either. So what. This is a Tesla forum. We don’t come here to talk about BMWs.

There are plenty of bmw people here (either ex BMW owners or people who still have one along with their model 3). While there are plenty who feel this way, this "ship" is beyond "sailed". The proponents of calling this car an "m3" seem to think that, somehow, we are being charged by the letter here when we post on tmc and "M3" is shorter than "model 3" so they argue that "its just forum speak".

You are just going to have to continue to be annoyed by it, like a lot of us, but it aint changing here.

Nobody would know what a P3D- is outside of this forum either. So what. This is a Tesla forum. We don’t come here to talk about BMWs.

This is one of the very few things that I would disagree with you on. Its no different than calling a model 3 a "hellcat" or a "911".

Edit: and I am not getting dragged back into this "discussion" because I seriously dont understand the other side of it, but its so entrenched here for some reason there is absolutely no changing it, or reason to discuss it further at least for me....

you just need to reeducate people...a BMW M3 is irrelevant imo,
but you have a P3 anyway, right? makes it easy

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: mspohr and afadeev

I don't think that is a good analogy at all. Is there another well established performance model of a vehicle somewhere trying to call itself a P3D-? And even if there was, does the 2 year history of the P3D- give it the respect that M3 deserves after 30+ years of producing high performance sedans that excel both on the road and in motorsport?

A more apt analogy would be calling a RX350 a Lexus Jeep or calling an Amazon Fire HD an iPad. Both of which are silly.

This is one of the very few things that I would disagree with you on. Its no different than calling a model 3 a "hellcat" or a "911".

Edit: and I am not getting dragged back into this "discussion" because I seriously dont understand the other side of it, but its so entrenched here for some reason there is absolutely no changing it, or reason to discuss it further at least for me....

I don’t personally refer to my car as an M3 but I try not to use a lot of acronyms in general because we have a lot of new forum members here that don’t know what they all mean. But it doesn’t bother me if people don’t want to type out the word “Model” because I know we don’t have people who come here to post about their new “M3” if it’s a BMW.

I don't think that is a good analogy at all. Is there another well established performance model of a vehicle somewhere trying to call itself a P3D-? And even if there was, does the 2 year history of the P3D- give it the respect that M3 deserves after 30+ years of producing high performance sedans that excel both on the road and in motorsport?

A more apt analogy would be calling a RX350 a Lexus Jeep or calling an Amazon Fire HD an iPad. Both of which are silly.

So your objection is not concerning any confusion that one may cause by referring to a Tesla an an M3, but rather your desire to pay proper respects to BMW for having the car around for 30 years?

While we are at it...

AP is Associated Press
FSD is Fox Sports Detroit
MCU is Marvel Cinematic Universe
SC is Southern California (or could also be South Carolina)
MS is Multiple Sclerosis
MX is Mexico
MY isn't even an acronym
SR is Senior
LR is Land Rover
FWD is Front Wheel Drive

I would appreciate people to no longer use any of these initialisms as it is confusing to all the shorts not on this forum.

So your objection is not concerning any confusion that one may cause by referring to a Tesla an an M3, but rather your desire to pay proper respects to BMW for having the car around for 30 years?

I suppose its a bit of both since it is both confusing and a bit disrespectful IMO. You can't really have one without the other because it wouldn't be so confusing if the BMW M3 wasn't so iconic.

It is also just annoying... when I had a Leaf I didn't call CHadeMO a "Nissan Supercharger" just like I wouldn't call my Tesla Model 3 an M3. Tesla earned that by coming out with the best charging network and BMW earned the M3 by making (what is widely considered) the best performance sedan for decades.

While we are at it...

AP is Associated Press
FSD is Fox Sports Detroit
MCU is Marvel Cinematic Universe
SC is Southern California (or could also be South Carolina)
MS is Multiple Sclerosis
MX is Mexico
MY isn't even an acronym
SR is Senior
LR is Land Rover
FWD is Front Wheel Drive

I would appreciate people to no longer use any of these initialisms as it is confusing to all the shorts not on this forum.

Once again, a childish response. None of these are remotely comparable in context and people would never confuse one for the other. The Tesla Model 3 Performance is actually direct competition for the BWM M3. It is an apples to apples comparison where as nobody thinks you are talking about Multiple Sclerosis when you reference you Tesla model S because one is a car and one is a disease.Y'all aren't even very good at trolling.

And since you mentioned SC I see it used for both service center and super charger which actually is confusing. :)

But you ARE on a Tesla forum, so M3 = Model 3. Apply context. It’s not like this some generalized automotive forum...

There are plenty of bmw people here (either ex BMW owners or people who still have one along with their model 3). While there are plenty who feel this way, this "ship" is beyond "sailed". The proponents of calling this car an "m3" seem to think that, somehow, we are being charged by the letter here when we post on tmc and "M3" is shorter than "model 3" so they argue that "its just forum speak".

You are just going to have to continue to be annoyed by it, like a lot of us, but it aint changing here.

You are probably right. I got it off my chest and life will move on... :)

Not sure why it's such a big deal to either side of the argument. Yes, it was slightly confusing for me too initially when these 'M3' references for the Model 3 started popping up, but you quickly figure out what people mean and which car they were actually referring to. And as some have stated, trying to change it is a bit too late. Too many on the forum are stuck with using it now.

But to take it to the level of 'show the BMW M3 respect'? That, I don't understand. It's a car, let's not get carried away here...

Not sure why it's such a big deal to either side of the argument. Yes, it was slightly confusing for me too initially when these 'M3' references for the Model 3 started popping up, but you quickly figure out what people mean and which car they were actually referring to. And as some have stated, trying to change it is a bit too late. Too many on the forum are stuck with using it now.

But to take it to the level of 'show the BMW M3 respect'? That, I don't understand. It's a car, let's not get carried away here...

Fair point, as long as it stays on the Tesla forum I suppose it isn't that big of a deal just a bit annoying.

I'm a car guy so it is just strange to call anything but a BMW an M3. I have to remember that a lot of folks on this forum are not "car guys" so they probably don't care. I guess it is what it is...

Reactions: Misterbee