Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 is a BMW, people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was on the Nissan Leaf forums CHAdeMO != "Nissan Supercharger". Supercharger referred to the Tesla network. This is no different.

No. Since everyone here either owns a Tesla Model 3 or is interested in one an M3 refers to a Tesla unless otherwise noted. I have no problem with people talking about Superchargers being Nissan or Tesla as long as the context is clear. You are purposely ignoring context.

No. Since everyone here either owns a Tesla Model 3 or is interested in one an M3 refers to a Tesla unless otherwise noted. I have no problem with people talking about Superchargers being Nissan or Tesla as long as the context is clear. You are purposely ignoring context.

No. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Nissan doesn't have Superchargers, there are no ZL1 Mustangs or Camaro GT500, and Tesla doesn't make the M3.

But I'm not the boss of the internet so people can use whatever they like I'm not gonna go around correcting it every time I see it. I just wanted to get it off my chest on this dedicated thread.

Fair point, as long as it stays on the Tesla forum I suppose it isn't that big of a deal just a bit annoying.

I'm a car guy so it is just strange to call anything but a BMW an M3. I have to remember that a lot of folks on this forum are not "car guys" so they probably don't care. I guess it is what it is...

Yes, I totally get that too. I've always been a car guy myself and have owned my share of BMW's along with other cars. I think I had to just put a different mentality on this forum from other forums I've been on. Since Tesla's can't really be modified (performance wise), I don't expect the majority of people on here to be that 'car guy'

If you were to take a poll of people who are not Tesla, BMW or general car enthusiasts, but just mainstream America that uses a car as a tool to get from point A to point B, I would guess that more people could tell you who makes a "Model 3" than an "M3". And considering that BMW has had an M3 for 30 years, and Tesla has had a Model 3 for less than 3 years, that is not insignificant.

If you were to take a poll of people who are not Tesla, BMW or general car enthusiasts, but just mainstream America that uses a car as a tool to get from point A to point B, I would guess that more people could tell you who makes a "Model 3" than an "M3". And considering that BMW has had an M3 for 30 years, and Tesla has had a Model 3 for less than 3 years, that is not insignificant.

Wouldn't the more relevant question be to ask those same people who makes an M3 without any qualifiers? Because outside of this forum I have never head anyone refer to a Tesla Model 3 as an M3 but my mom could tell you that BMW makes one... Just because Tesla is in the news more recently and the Model 3 is more recognizable doesn't make it an M3.

I also don't understand why you would restrict it to non car enthusiasts? Car enthusiasts are who the BMW M3 is made for.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the more relevant question be to ask those same people who makes an M3 without any qualifiers? Because outside of this forum I have never head anyone refer to a Tesla as an M3 but my mom could tell you that BMW makes one...

I also don't understand why you would restrict it to non car enthusiasts? Car enthusiasts are who the BMW M3 is made for.

I was focused more on the issue of “respecting the BMW”. I have more respect for the fact that in just three short years Tesla has created a tremendous awareness of the Model 3...not just to sports sedan or general automotive enthusiasts, but to everyday people who don’t follow car forums or care about handling and 0-60 times. And Tesla has done it without spending one cent on marketing. I have more respect for that than anything BMW has accomplished. BMW was great for many years, but now their Series 3 numbers have fallen off a cliff. They have become the BlackBerry of sports sedans.

I was focused more on the issue of “respecting the BMW”. I have more respect for the fact that in just three short years Tesla has created a tremendous awareness of the Model 3...not just to sports sedan or general automotive enthusiasts, but to everyday people who don’t follow car forums or care about handling and 0-60 times. And Tesla has done it without spending one cent on marketing. I have more respect for that than anything BMW has accomplished. BMW was great for many years, but now their Series 3 numbers have fallen off a cliff. They have become the BlackBerry of sports sedans.

None of this is relevant to why you don't call a Tesla Model 3 an M3 IMO even if you do make fair points generally. Maybe folks are just talking past each other on this thread and a car enthusiast trying to have this conversation with a non-enthusiast is an exercise in futility.

FWIW I also wouldn't call the BMW 3 series a BlackBerry based on 2 years of declining sales... the galaxy S7 was outselling the iPhone a few years ago too.

None of this is relevant to why you don't call a Tesla Model 3 an M3 IMO even if you do make fair points generally. Maybe folks are just talking past each other on this thread and a car enthusiast trying to have this conversation with a non-enthusiast is an exercise in futility.

FWIW I also wouldn't call the BMW 3 series a BlackBerry based on 2 years of declining sales... the galaxy S7 was outselling the iPhone a few years ago too.

Well, I might argue that a “car enthusiast” arguing that you can’t call an Model 3 an M3 because BMW coined the term first is just silly to begin with. This whole conversation is a lot of meaningless banter that doesn’t accomplish anything. I really don’t care what you call my car.

OP is absolutely correct. This is why people hate Tesla owners...one of the many reasons. Wouldn't hurt y'all to at least act like you know anything about cars.

On the other hand, if this level of obsessive pettiness and hand slapping is characteristic of car enthusiasts, I hope I never become one. BMW, Tesla, Rivian whoever.

Hate just leads to road rage. How does that help anyone?