Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR 22 model (windscreen wipers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t do many long journeys but every one I have done has been ‘difficult’ on varying form and proportion. On this journey I had a lot of motorway miles in heavy rain. I had the WW’s on auto and they did NOT adjust for heavy downpours i.e. they were intermittent, the heavens opened and they stayed on intermittent. I tried to voice command and some times it worked on first call and other on second / third and sometime not. It was DANGEROUS to the extreme. I called Tesla and she said ‘don’t know will have to call you back’

Same car, similar journey and experience today -

Just driven 170 miles Sussex - Somerset, mainly motorway in heavy showers / spray / occasional sunshine.

Wipers on auto were as bad as I can remember them - on 'intermittent' in torrential rain when 'fast continuous' was required. Not even noticing very heavy spray from trucks - just stayed 'off'.

I can think of very few occasions when the auto-wiper setting was appropriate to the conditions in over 3 hours of driving.

How do they manage to still get it so wrong after all this time?!

Reactions: Forty_Two and Obie
What difference does keeping your eyes on the road make when you can't see anything out of the windscreen when the rain is lashing down in the first place? 🙃

Yeah yeah ... funny (ish) ... of course in reality, because of the fact that you have initiated the wipe with the button, you can see clearly through the screen whilst moving the steering wheel button. Wipers are a pain but the danger aspect of changing the setting gets magnified in some of the posts.

About 75 threads on this and the wipers in general, mate.
Presuming those 75 threads are saying the same thing it seems clear that Elon and nobody else at Tesla are monitoring this information . . . . surely they must seek user feedback, if they don't get it here how do they get it? How can a design feature that is so obvioulst WRONG continue for so many years - beacuse they don't know or because they don't care?

• Funny
Reactions: Zilla91
If Elon or anyone else at Tesla ever get to read this . . . . know that I will not buy another Tesla until (at the very least) the major controls (e.g. wipers, heater) are moved from that DANGEROUS touch screen to ordinary knobs and buttons.

Yeah Tesla are nothing if not resolutely determined that their path is the correct one. It seems to stem from the belief that eventually the cars will drive themselves fully and therefore controls are superfluous. Some zealots back this up uncritically.

Back in the real world there’s several years, possibly a decade or more, before that’s going to be a practical reality. Owners have to deal with the here and now and in this case have to deal with essential controls being needlessly harder to operate (or buy something else).

Reactions: Whyone
Back in the real world there’s several years, possibly a decade or more, before that’s going to be a practical reality.
And don’t forget, not every Tesla sold has the option to drive itself, irrespective of whether the car has the theoretical ability to drive itself (or not) or the driver wants to be driven.

Until the every Tesla sold is used wholly in self driving mode, then the car should be built to be fit for all driving scenarios.

Reactions: Durzel
Presuming those 75 threads are saying the same thing it seems clear that Elon and nobody else at Tesla are monitoring this information . . . . surely they must seek user feedback, if they don't get it here how do they get it? How can a design feature that is so obvioulst WRONG continue for so many years - beacuse they don't know or because they don't care?
I hear he does read this forum and decided to not improve the wipers after reading this post out of spite