Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR Nearly New - Residual Values

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used but nearly new 2023 M3 LR on the Tesla website recently. While I am awaiting delivery, I looked into its current valuation on WBAC and Motorway. I was surprised to see that the valuation came out £10K lower than the sale price from Tesla.

To be down by £10K straightaway and see such a depreciation on a nearly brand new car seems crazy, and given me second thoughts on whether I should go ahead.

Should I really trust WBAC / Motorway valuations at all?

I bought a used but nearly new 2023 M3 LR on the Tesla website recently. While I am awaiting delivery, I looked into its current valuation on WBAC and Motorway. I was surprised to see that the valuation came out £10K lower than the sale price from Tesla.

To be down by £10K straightaway and see such a depreciation on a nearly brand new car seems crazy, and given me second thoughts on whether I should go ahead.

Should I really trust WBAC / Motorway valuations at all?
As I posted on the other thread on values they are listing second hand stock at knock down rates at the moment on tesla website. I got a 2021 LR with 7k miles for 36k with various options meaning it is 55k new. I'd be checking it daily if I was you and reserve a cheaper 1 and tell them to cancel the previous depending on what u paid.

WBAC seem to be particularly low at the moment, it seems the trade is awash with them and/or worried Tesla will drop prices again and all WBAC want is to buy it and flip it into the trade within days. If nobody is trade buying, they need to be cheap. (I think they sell directly to the public too, but similar arguments).

You’ve also got the question of finance which is easier on new cars, and company cars where 100% FYA is only on new, even if FYA is just cash flow, so it’s less attractive for some to buy from say yourself.

But people are buying, although there is definitely a lot of stock around and it’s a buyers market, but 10k still seems too much.

In simplistic terms WBAC and co are not trying to buy your car to keep, they are buying it to resell and make a profit on.

£10k spread is not that outrageous when you consider their overheads, how much it might cost them to prep (your car may well be mint but others chopping cars in to WBAC may hide a multitude of sins, deliberately or otherwise)

Also WBAC is basically a distressed purchaser. Selling your car to them is essentially saying “I need money NOW”.

Reactions: KennethS
If you enter the details of any used Tesla from the Tesla website into WBAC/Motorway, all the prices will be lower, WBAC and alike have always offered low prices for me, only exception has been in 2021/22 when prices seemed to be higher than usual.
Also WBAC is basically a distressed purchaser. Selling your car to them is essentially saying “I need money NOW”.
Yes never seen beyond last resort!

Reactions: Durzel
As I posted on the other thread on values they are listing second hand stock at knock down rates at the moment on tesla website. I got a 2021 LR with 7k miles for 36k with various options meaning it is 55k new. I'd be checking it daily if I was you and reserve a cheaper 1 and tell them to cancel the previous depending on what u paid.

Thanks, I saw loads of used M3 LR on Tesla website yesterday, but none today! Only ones remaining are M3P and M3SR+. Wonder if all such M3 LR have been reserved/sold so quickly!

Hello all, long time Leaf owner looking to get his first M3 here.

FWIW I think expecting WBAC to offer true value is like expecting a record dealer top dollar for your vinyl collection. Ignore their quotes, they're for the desperate and the fecklessly lazy.

Still, I've had my eye on the Tesla invntory these last few days and some of the cars seemeed to offer unbeatable value. I saw a 2020 M3 in red and EAP with just 7000 miles for £26,100 at one point yesterday. Then I looked again, and like you say, they'd all gone.

A few sub £30k cars are on the site again today, but nothing to match yesterday's offerings.

Let me share a cautionary tale: When is a 'new' car not quite new? :oops:

I came across a tempting deal – a 2023 Model 3 RWD in pearl white, with a pristine white interior, listed as a demo car for a tempting price of approximately £38,600, with 1,100 miles on the odometer. Eager to seize the opportunity, I reserved it and applied for the 0% PCP financing deal that was on offer. To my delight, my application was approved, and I bid farewell to my trusty Hyundai IONIQ 28 kW EV, eagerly anticipating the arrival of my new Tesla on 25-Aug-23. :)

However, just three days before the scheduled delivery, my phone rang, delivering unexpected news. I was informed that the Model 3 I had reserved no longer qualified for the 0% financing deal. The reason? It was now 7 months old, and the car must be 6 months old or younger. Strangely, when I initially checked the Tesla website, this 'Demo' car was listed in the 'new' section with no indication of its age, only its mileage.

I was presented with only two alternatives – a PCP option at 8.9% interest, which would cost me an additional £7,200, or another inventory car with a white interior, albeit at an additional cost of £4,750, primarily due to its red colour. What added to the frustration was Tesla's assertion that "The discrepancy has arisen because we classify the car as 'new,' and it is the finance company that classifies it as 'used.'" After several conversations with the finance company, it became evident that they had no issue proceeding with the original deal.

Now, I find myself in limbo without an electric vehicle for the first time in a decade, leaving our household dependent on a diesel-guzzling 4x4 Land Rover (used for towing), which has recently fallen victim to the stringent ULEZ restrictions. 😠

I'm left wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar ordeal. 🤔

Oh great, another thread on residuals 🙄

Very few cars are immune from such depreciation. Fact of life that you lose most in the early period. If you don’t like this buy a 2 or 3 year old car. Otherwise suck it up.

Let me share a cautionary tale: When is a 'new' car not quite new? :oops:

I came across a tempting deal – a 2023 Model 3 RWD in pearl white, with a pristine white interior, listed as a demo car for a tempting price of approximately £38,600, with 1,100 miles on the odometer. Eager to seize the opportunity, I reserved it and applied for the 0% PCP financing deal that was on offer. To my delight, my application was approved, and I bid farewell to my trusty Hyundai IONIQ 28 kW EV, eagerly anticipating the arrival of my new Tesla on 25-Aug-23. :)

However, just three days before the scheduled delivery, my phone rang, delivering unexpected news. I was informed that the Model 3 I had reserved no longer qualified for the 0% financing deal. The reason? It was now 7 months old, and the car must be 6 months old or younger. Strangely, when I initially checked the Tesla website, this 'Demo' car was listed in the 'new' section with no indication of its age, only its mileage.

I was presented with only two alternatives – a PCP option at 8.9% interest, which would cost me an additional £7,200, or another inventory car with a white interior, albeit at an additional cost of £4,750, primarily due to its red colour. What added to the frustration was Tesla's assertion that "The discrepancy has arisen because we classify the car as 'new,' and it is the finance company that classifies it as 'used.'" After several conversations with the finance company, it became evident that they had no issue proceeding with the original deal.

Now, I find myself in limbo without an electric vehicle for the first time in a decade, leaving our household dependent on a diesel-guzzling 4x4 Land Rover (used for towing), which has recently fallen victim to the stringent ULEZ restrictions. 😠

I'm left wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar ordeal. 🤔
Its why I prefer 3rd party inventory sites that show Tesla listings but with more details than Tesla show. Sadly Tesla doesn't seem to like these sites and is making the accessibility of the extra data harder and harder, or they're just showing less and less of it.

Its why I prefer 3rd party inventory sites that show Tesla listings but with more details than Tesla show. Sadly Tesla doesn't seem to like these sites and is making the accessibility of the extra data harder and harder, or they're just showing less and less of it.
This situation represents a profound breach of the trust I unwaveringly placed in Tesla. To provide context, I initially embarked on this journey through a third-party website in search of a Model 3, which subsequently directed me to the Tesla Inventory page. However, this story is far from concluded, and I am eagerly awaiting a comprehensive and definitive response from Tesla.

You have to realise that WBAC are selling into the trade and need to factor in a margin of their own.

The trade is up against Tesla selling discounted brand new ones with 0%apr. So the valuation is there because it has to be £10k below rrp to have any chance of a reseller moving them on their stock with anything left in it for them at all.

If you're buying a brand new car with any possibility that you might sell it within two years, just don't. It never pans out well that way. If you're buying for the long haul then it makes a lot more sense.

I don’t think selling via WBAC or Motorway is lazy. Motorway like others take bids on your car. Often not far off those advertised on auto trader. Of course they take a cut but that’s the trade off with people not messing you around. Also Auto Trader is asking prices. Selling prices will be far lower. Point is, using motorway is not for the ‘fecklessly lazy’ at all. Jeez.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
that’s the trade off with people not messing you around.

Long time since I sold a car, only done Part-Ex of late, but I'm not sure I'd want a stranger to pay me £30+K and able to be sure I was going to get, and keep, the money ... maybe I'm just old and out of date, and there are modern ways - plenty of folk here say their banks only let them pay £10K / day , but Motorway / whatever that will pay me is worth some commission

That's my inventory purchase story, told by a series of screenshots form this site.
It's disheartening to read of similar experiences, but on this M3 forum I've stumbled upon some anecdotes that shed light on a more positive outcome when purchasing from Tesla inventory. My hope remains that Tesla UK will step up and do the decent thing by honoring the deals they advertise. 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AndyFov
Just been testing the market with my 12 month old Model Y LR, 3300 miles like new
WBAC £34600, M/Way no price, Tesla trade in £33000
and my 2022 Kia Soul Maxx 9000 miles 14months old new £35000
WBAC £19000, Mway £18400.
These are pretty competitive with similar ICE cars.
Looks like Tesla and Kia can wait for my business!