Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MIC 2021 tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zill

Jul 28, 2021
UK
So I have a September 2021 MIC LR, saw some videos on youtube regarding the tail lights where it clearly demonstrates a "longer" turn signal at the back including a reverse light on both sides. You can see it here

I've had a look at my car and it does not have these. Short turn signal and only one side reverse light. Can others with recent LR's confirm they have the same or have I just gotten an older version of them? I think the short ones are too short....

Old
1637881011862.png

New

1637881078553.png

My SR+ built Q3 and delivered at the end of Sep 2021 has the newer style lights. I agree that the earlier turn indicators are too small. I’ve followed early M3s and in daylight thought the rear indicators were rubbish and hard to see. The larger new ones are better.

Moderation comment - numerous posts moved from delivery experiences thread

Just be aware, those picking up from Bluewater.

I’ve received the old style rear lights with the pidderly rear indicator, 1 reverse light and 1 fog light on the latest 2021 model.

I’ll be kicking off with Tesla however just wanted to pre-warn you.

I do have a service appointment booked and plan to call them tomorrow. Not happy at all, given the new lights are an improvement and there shouldn’t be any reason why I should receive something sub standard to everyone else.

Does beg the question what else I have on my car that’s from the early 2021 models. Just hope I have matrix headlights now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also received a new Q4 LR (few days old) and I have the older style lights.

I do wonder if this is all LR vehicles have this setup or we just have some duds.

I have raised it with service and have a mobile engineer coming out. If they’ll do anything I’ll have to see but don’t see how they can provide older style lights and get away with it to be honest.

I’m a stubborn git, I’ll end up giving it back and reordering if they don’t change it.

I’ve received the old style rear lights with the pidderly rear indicator, 1 reverse light and 1 fog light on the latest 2021 model.

I do have a service appointment booked and plan to call them tomorrow. Not happy at all, given the new lights are an improvement and there shouldn’t be any reason why I should receive something sub standard to everyone else.

Does beg the question what else I have on my car that’s from the early 2021 models. Just hope I have matrix headlights now.
I think I would be equally disappointed - do M3 give you any indication when they are built? ALL of my previous BMWs have a build date in the engine bay or drivers door near tyre pressures. Hope I’m not in a same position with missing USBs

Quite unbelievable really, I thought they changed over the light clusters earlier this year so all Q4’s would only have the newer cluster? I’d hope it’s an oversight (not sure how though) and a simple swap. Wonder how many others have one or other?

Quite unbelievable really, I thought they changed over the light clusters earlier this year so all Q4’s would only have the newer cluster? I’d hope it’s an oversight (not sure how though) and a simple swap. Wonder how many others have one or other?
Yeh exactly. I hear Tesla service guys are good. Heard they change out the whole cluster of the light just if a led bulb goes.

I’m sure they’ll sort it. Just hope it has a fixable wiring loom to match the new lights. I guess it will.

You will be wasting your time if you do raise it I'm afraid Oxstock. They will tell you that components change all the time and you simply get what you get.
Well I’ll just hand the car back given my 2 week grace period.

Principle of getting shafted that’s pissing me off.

That’s if they have that attitude but I don’t think they will. Confident they sort.

Well I’ll just hand the car back given my 2 week grace period.

Principle of getting shafted that’s pissing me off.

That’s if they have that attitude but I don’t think they will. Confident they sort.

The 'grace period' was 7 days not 14 and has itself been removed. See here.

Electrek reports that new buyers wishing to return a Tesla vehicle will now have to go through the customer service department, and it’s unclear what types of situations may warrant a full or even partial refund after purchase.
Wanting to have the latest rear lights isn't likely to cut it I'm afraid, but I'll be happy to hear you are successful.

Good luck with your car.