Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MIC 2021 tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve received the old style rear lights with the pidderly rear indicator, 1 reverse light and 1 fog light on the latest 2021 model.
Received mine on Thursday and having seen your post, just checked and I'm the same and in no way happy at all. Having got over the "there might not be USB ports of wireless charging" crap, I'm now faced with this.

What else should have been or should I say, has been updated for some folk in the latest delivery that I may also be missing?

Just be aware, those picking up from Bluewater.

I’ve received the old style rear lights with the pidderly rear indicator, 1 reverse light and 1 fog light on the latest 2021 model.

I’ll be kicking off with Tesla however just wanted to pre-warn you.

I do have a service appointment booked and plan to call them tomorrow. Not happy at all, given the new lights are an improvement and there shouldn’t be any reason why I should receive something sub standard to everyone else.

Does beg the question what else I have on my car that’s from the early 2021 models. Just hope I have matrix headlights now.
I just checked mine (Bluewater pickup too). I have two reverse lights and two fog lights, so I presume the new style cluster (not saying to gloat, but just to provide some data).

Still no heated rear seats or heated steering wheel...

I just checked mine (Bluewater pickup too). I have two reverse lights and two fog lights, so I presume the new style cluster (not saying to gloat, but just to provide some data).

Still no heated rear seats or heated steering wheel...
Yep - picked up a couple of weeks ago - 2 fogs, 2 reverses - I think the new style rear light clusters look a lot better thought out than the original ones. All USB's and wireless charging present with 5 heated seats and wheel - honestly not gloating... just providing some data as well.

Don't think Tesla service will re-fit new style rear light clusters to a car that has perfectly working old style rear light clusters. There has to be a fault to be replaced under warranty?

Last edited:
I read a while back the wiring and pins are quite different.
I’ve had the light off. The wiring is exactly the same so not sure where you read this. They just fold back the reversing light or the fog light that isn’t in use.

They clearly do it like this so they can pick whatever lights they want to fit without having different wiring looms.

Can you imagine how difficult it would be from them to have different wiring looms for the same cars.

I have a service guy coming out Tuesday, I’ve made it clear the issue and they’re still coming out. I expect if they didn’t fancy the job then they’d have said already, so I’m hopeful they swap them over.

Would be a waste of a trip for them to come out to say they wont do it.

Yep - picked up a couple of weeks ago - 2 fogs, 2 reverses - I think the new style rear light clusters look a lot better thought out than the original ones. All USB's and wireless charging present with 5 heated seats and wheel - honestly not gloating... just providing some data as well.

Don't think Tesla service will re-fit new style rear light clusters to a car that has perfectly working old style rear light clusters. There has to be a fault to be replaced under warranty?
Thankfully they’ve accepted the job within the app and responded. I’ve made it clear I have the old lights and they’re coming Tuesday.

I’ve had the light off. The wiring is exactly the same so not sure where you read this. They just fold back the reversing light or the fog light that isn’t in use.

They clearly do it like this so they can pick whatever lights they want to fit without having different wiring looms.

Can you imagine how difficult it would be from them to have different wiring looms for the same cars.

I have a service guy coming out Tuesday, I’ve made it clear the issue and they’re still coming out. I expect if they didn’t fancy the job then they’d have said already, so I’m hopeful they swap them over.

Pre 2021 cars are 3 pin, 2021 are 4 pin, so depends how old the car is.

Yours is 2021, so should be fine.

More likely is that someone will look at the job the day before and then contact you for clarification.

Will be interested to hear the outcome as technically there’s nothing wrong with your car, you just believe you should have a newer revision lights.

Since they would have to change all 4 light clusters (outer and inner) and code the new ones I suspect you’ll be disappointed, but good luck anyway!

Reactions: RobbieBurns
Would be good to try and understand what may indicate why Oxstock and another forum member have the old lights. Could it be that your car was in stock and built some months ago, possibly before the new lights were introduced post September. This is quite common with mercs and BMWs. I bought my bmw X5 in May from stock and it was built 7 months earlier so the service requirements are now earlier than expected. I can see you have the 19 alloys Oxstock. If I were a betting man that might be the reason unless you tell me you ordered months ago and there goes my theory. Therefore I expect part shortages and the US sending light clusters to china so not to delay deliveries. Annoying but in the current climate not far fetched. Just hope mine comes with the new lights - shouldn't care really as I can’t see them.

I have only just noticed the new cluster on the road, in that last few weeks. I just assumed there would be a clean cut and I would receive a car with new cluster.
Tesla seems to give with one hand a take with the other. A confusing relationship, are we not the customers?
Wednesday noon is my pick up. I am honestly nervous of what awaits me in the world of Tesla.