Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MIC 2021 tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The acid test, I think, is getting what you ordered from the website.

Anything less - time to kick up a stink.

Anything more - Brucie bonus for the lucky ones. In March, I got a heated steering wheel that wasn't even announced, let alone on the website spec.

Reactions: Durzel
Don't worry, your original lights will be full of water in a few weeks, then they will be coming out to replace them. Wait until both are full then ask for the new ....
I plan to drown my lights with water (if old type) and seek replacement. Done. In all seriousness, there is a theme emerging - some of the most recent out of the factory cars seem have the new lights but no USBs. Those with the older version light have the USBs but will most likely have been cars built in Q3 and sat in Southampton for months in stock awaiting a leaser / buyer. That in itself is not an issue just how car buying works sometimes.

I plan to drown my lights with water (if old type) and seek replacement. Done. In all seriousness, there is a theme emerging - some of the most recent out of the factory cars seem have the new lights but no USBs. Those with the older version light have the USBs but will most likely have been cars built in Q3 and sat in Southampton for months in stock awaiting a leaser / buyer. That in itself is not an issue just how car buying works sometimes.
They won't have waited in the UK, they would have sold long ago if there was stock. They could have been built earlier in China and waited a few weeks for a boat.

I’d imagine very few would have been built in Q3 and delivered in Q4. My case in point.

Elon can’t afford to have boots sitting in car parks in china.

As someone else said, it’s just they have so much stock of the old style lights to use up.

I cant even fuc*** say they’re old. They ain’t old. They’re just different

I received my M3 LR on December 11th in Geneva, just checked my tail light this evening because I didn’t take time to do that before annnnnd…I got old tail lights…
Pretty disappointed as I really thought I had the new ones for all this time ahah and I think they are neat ! Thanks for trying @Oxstock at least I know it’s a lost cause ! I’m not looking at these lights all day anyway so…

Completely in love with the car btw !

Reactions: MrT3
Thanks Henry.

My wife thinks I’m being a dick. I’m just annoyed.

I’ll see what the service person says. Odds are I ain’t going to do a thing. Worst case I’ll just buy 2021 rear lights.
I am in the same position, "my wife thinks i am being stupid" after having a chat with my local service guy, he has said although you can buy the new style lights they wont be plug and play, he explained that the new lights are balanced with both reversing and fogs lights on ether side, the model we have taken delivery of does not have both feeds running to both sides, thus it would require someone who can electrically wire them, i am really F**Ked of because i waited for the 2022 model for that one reason

Tesla are constantly changing the cars. There is no "Model Year" version in the traditional sense like with other automakers.

Unfortunately this sometimes means when you buy you are in an interim phase between one revision of parts being phased out, and another replacing it, just like how some people got the updated frunk shell but no heatpump.

That's just the way it is I'm afraid. There will no doubt be updates coming out this year that you will have "just missed out on", such is the nature of the way they develop the cars. I'm afraid all you can really do is make peace with that.

I picked up my M3P 2022 registration yesterday, and it has the old style lights. I was a little disappointed for about half a second. But then I thought I'm not going to let such a small thing get in the way and ruin the enjoyment of what is an epic car!

In any case, I noticed from the cold weather overnight that some condensation had formed inside the rear lenses, so I dare say at some point I will be making an appointment at my local SC for replacements. Then I will specifiy the new style. :)

Reactions: Durzel
I picked up my M3P 2022 registration yesterday, and it has the old style lights. I was a little disappointed for about half a second. But then I thought I'm not going to let such a small thing get in the way and ruin the enjoyment of what is an epic car!

In any case, I noticed from the cold weather overnight that some condensation had formed inside the rear lenses, so I dare say at some point I will be making an appointment at my local SC for replacements. Then I will specifiy the new style. :)
I'm afraid you won't get anywhere asking for the revised lights as apparently they require a different wiring loom.

I've had my 3 for 2.5 years. I have no idea what my rear lights look like when driving along (and don't care) ... that's for the people behind me to worry about ... and nobody's complained!

Reactions: doats1
I've had my 3 for 2.5 years. I have no idea what my rear lights look like when driving along (and don't care) ... that's for the people behind me to worry about ... and nobody's complained!
I do feel pretty much the same, I'd have liked the new ones (picked up in Dec) but mainly for the two reversing lights as the single one and rear illumination is pretty crap, especially like me if you need to reverse out of a tight tree lined driveway every night/morning with absolutely no visibility in those wee door mirrors.

All that said, I'd be slightly more content if the ones I have (already replaced due to condensation) didn't have condensation in them.