Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MIC 2021 tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel bad now posting this originally if it's causing so many new Tesla owners sleepless nights checking theirs and others tail lights and causing arguments with spouses 😂 However that Tesla CS answer made me chuckle.

Tesla CS won't know what's happening from one car to the next, to be blunt. Only by plugging it in will they be able to see what options are coded to the car (one of them will be the light configuration, front and rear).

As said before I also think it'll be a struggle to get them to change perfectly working (but older revision) lights. Even if you get condensation in them you'll get the replacement lights that your VIN says you should have, the same with every other part.

If you don't get anywhere with Tesla CS you could always try either buying the lights yourself and see whether they work when you plug them in (I doubt they will work properly without being coded, but you might be able to get Tesla SC to do it, if they can). Could be quite an expensive thing to do though, given all 4 would need to be changed.
Unless, by some miracle in this new revision they have finally worked out how to make the lights work like every other car out there and not turn into an aquarium at the first sign of cold weather? ;)

Well my new car (100 miles old) has the one reversing light and this morning had an opportunity to reverse in proper darkness and it's as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike. Mibby those small mirrors aren't helping the cause though.

Maybe I've been using them wrong, but I've never relied on my reverse lights to guide me in low light. Most of my cars have only had one light, so I thought they were there to warn others, which I think it does adequately.

Reactions: Durzel and GRiLLA
@Oxstock How did your service visit go? Mine was politely declined via text message yesterday.

"the new "Global" tail lights are now being introduced into circulation but the previous type tail light will still be around until stock has depleted, so unfortunately this is just luck as to what your vehicle is fitted with. The Global tail light has the two reverse lights instead of the previous one light." (Tesla Service)

Reactions: MrT3 and Simonix
@Oxstock How did your service visit go? Mine was politely declined via text message yesterday.

"the new "Global" tail lights are now being introduced into circulation but the previous type tail light will still be around until stock has depleted, so unfortunately this is just luck as to what your vehicle is fitted with. The Global tail light has the two reverse lights instead of the previous one light." (Tesla Service)
Yeh, similar my end. I do have a call scheduled with customer service to discuss.

Service engineer told me 50/50 split of the lights currently so there’s a lot more out there with the old style.

I just don’t think people care / or have even looked.

Without that bulk frustration being shared I doubt much will be done.

Reactions: plisken
To be brutally frank, assuming there is a 50/50 split of lights out there, what do you suppose Tesla should do? Do a soft recall so everyone who got the old spec lights can get upgraded? What happens to all the perfectly functional-but-different lights that are substituted?

Prior to this change every Model 3 sold had what is now the "old" lights and owners never knew this was or would eventually be a thing.

Before too long I imagine Tesla will start doing something with the matrix lights that have apparently been in cars for a while. Will it work on all revisions? Maybe it might only be available to cars after a certain build date. Should those people kick off too?

Where do you draw the line with this stuff? I totally get the irritation of getting a car the same time as others who have different and generally accepted as "better" lights, but that's the nature of the beast. Come next year with each set of deliveries there will be some cars without the rear double paned glass, some with. Some cars will have the upgraded Ryzen MCU and lithium 12v battery and others won't. There comes a point where you have to accept you got what you got, I think, otherwise you'll drive yourself mad.

To be brutally frank, assuming there is a 50/50 split of lights out there, what do you suppose Tesla should do? Do a soft recall so everyone who got the old spec lights can get upgraded? What happens to all the perfectly functional-but-different lights that are substituted?

Prior to this change every Model 3 sold had what is now the "old" lights and owners never knew this was or would eventually be a thing.

Before too long I imagine Tesla will start doing something with the matrix lights that have apparently been in cars for a while. Will it work on all revisions? Maybe it might only be available to cars after a certain build date. Should those people kick off too?

Where do you draw the line with this stuff? I totally get the irritation of getting a car the same time as others who have different and generally accepted as "better" lights, but that's the nature of the beast. Come next year with each set of deliveries there will be some cars without the rear double paned glass, some with. Some cars will have the upgraded Ryzen MCU and lithium 12v battery and others won't. There comes a point where you have to accept you got what you got, I think, otherwise you'll drive yourself mad.
I agree, not expecting them to change anything but no harm in challenging it.

But you’re right. It’s not that the lights are an issue, nor are they illegal.

I actually think they’re pretty good, they’re growing on me.

Indicator will always be annoying but oh well. They’re still plenty bright.

Only thing is how customers feel. Do Tesla want everyone to have that feel good feeling or do they want customer to feel a bit hard done by.

That’s all it comes down to, how the lights make you feel / how the process changes your perception of tesla during the buying process.

Is that important for them? Time will tell.

That’s all it comes down to, how the lights make you feel / how the process changes your perception of tesla during the buying process.

Its been pretty clear over the years that if you don't like how Tesla treats you, then its tough or you can go elsewhere. Its not all like that, but it only needs one person [in the chain] who thinks that way to screw all the goodwill. I've had several things agreed with individual Tesla staff, only for them to be overruled, ignored or forgotten about when push came to shove. Ironically, one of those things was rear lights... I still have my originals, you kind of forget about it after a while in the grand scheme of life the universe and everything. But if something really isn't right, it doesn't hurt to push, you may get a result. But you have to know which battles to choose and I am afraid that this isn't one of them imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel and Oxstock
I agree, not expecting them to change anything but no harm in challenging it.

But you’re right. It’s not that the lights are an issue, nor are they illegal.

I actually think they’re pretty good, they’re growing on me.

Indicator will always be annoying but oh well. They’re still plenty bright.

Only thing is how customers feel. Do Tesla want everyone to have that feel good feeling or do they want customer to feel a bit hard done by.

There's no harm in doing it for sure, I would probably do the same in your shoes.

As a general rule though chasing upgrades is a sure fire way to cause a lot of stress, I think. As said previously I've spent £975 on a heated steering wheel that at this point I'm pretty certain I'm not going to be able to get work from an OEM point of view, because there are other things involved.

There is a chance that even if the lights physically connect properly (like my wheel does) that there is other stuff in the mix, harness changes, controller changes, even just software configuration that you might struggle to get Tesla to change, that would conspire to stop it working, leaving you (like me) even more frustrated.

Reactions: Oxstock
Its been pretty clear over the years that if you don't like how Tesla treats you, then its tough or you can go elsewhere. Its not all like that, but it only needs one person who thinks that way to screw all the goodwill. I've had several things agreed with individual Tesla staff, only for them to be overruled, ignored or forgotten about when push came to shove. Ironically, one of those things was rear lights... I still have my originals, you kind of forget about it after a while in the grand scheme of life the universe and everything. But if something really isn't right, it doesn't hurt to push, you may get a result. But you have to know which battles to chose and I am afraid that this isn't one of them imho.
Couldn’t say it better myself.

Reactions: MrBadger and Durzel