Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 not sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
today (and this night) I got strange behaviour and you guys know it all better so I wonder if you can assist.

car is plugged, with scheduled charging.
Yesterday tried the lights show briefly, opened door and that's it.

it charged over night to required 80%. cable is still plugged in.

But I see that my Tesla app always shows as "connected" as well as car already lost 2% of charge since 4:30 am (it is 10:00 AM).

anyone can suggest WHY it's happening and how to put it to sleep?

Do you have sentry on by any chance? This can cause the car to stay awake as it is monitoring the surroundings. Since the new update it is a little convoluted how to switch it on and off but i think it is in the security settings where you can have it on but 'exclude home'.

Just a thought

Do you have sentry on by any chance? This can cause the car to stay awake as it is monitoring the surroundings. Since the new update it is a little convoluted how to switch it on and off but i think it is in the security settings where you can have it on but 'exclude home'.

Just a thought
no, sentry is off (and it was Off at home before). overheating protection is off.

Every time you open the Tesla app, it will wake the car to connect and the car will then start the sleep countdown again. I know its hard (or at least it was for me when I first received the car), but if you want the car to sleep avoid opening the Tesla app.
Android app has a "silent" notification in notification tray. without opening an app it shows "Connected"

Last edited:
You need to get something like Teslafi or Teslamate to monitor you car to see if it is sleeping or not. Lots of knowledgable people on here will help you interpret the data. There are other apps, but they don't seem to have the same support on here.
There are plenty of threads about battery drain that will give you other clues. But until you know what your car is doing you're just guessing.

today (and this night) I got strange behaviour and you guys know it all better so I wonder if you can assist.

car is plugged, with scheduled charging.
Yesterday tried the lights show briefly, opened door and that's it.

it charged over night to required 80%. cable is still plugged in.

But I see that my Tesla app always shows as "connected" as well as car already lost 2% of charge since 4:30 am (it is 10:00 AM).

anyone can suggest WHY it's happening and how to put it to sleep?

Do you know for sure your car is not sleeping? Temperature changes can show a 2% variation in the battery reading even with no specific losses. I can charge to 90% and see 88 or 89% next morning. There can also be a discrepancy between the reading in the app and on the car screen.

Due to a busted windscreen and total lack of screen availability from Autoglass my M3LR has been sat on my driveway untouched and unplugged for the past 20 days.
TeslaFi is passively monitoring and reports that it wakes up around 11am every day for 11 minutes then goes back to sleep.
In 20 days its lost 3% battery or 10 miles.
Any app that looks at the car will wake it up and cost energy every time you look and it then takes variable time (sometimes hours) to get back to sleep.

Due to a busted windscreen and total lack of screen availability from Autoglass my M3LR has been sat on my driveway untouched and unplugged for the past 20 days.
TeslaFi is passively monitoring and reports that it wakes up around 11am every day for 11 minutes then goes back to sleep.
In 20 days its lost 3% battery or 10 miles.
Any app that looks at the car will wake it up and cost energy every time you look and it then takes variable time (sometimes hours) to get back to sleep.
so 3% in 20 days and 3% for me in 7 hours.

now it is at 77% - I mean there's no temperature fluctuation to cause such battery charge sway and it never ever happened before.

should I try to reboot it?!

I am wondering what is the normal battery drain per day? if I go to holiday for 10 days, should I expect 50% battery loss?!

I mean, even with 4 opens in 12 hrs, there should not be 3% drain, no?

The percentage is an estimate by the BMS, sometimes mine goes up after sitting all night. Also, the car may wake itself up to check for updates, adjust battery temp, etc... But my guess is your phone is keeping the car awake.

I did a test soon after owning the car during early Covid era and saw only 1% of drain after 5 days of the car being asleep.

- Is Phantom drain a hoax?
- State of charge - Wikipedia

yes. but it shows "connected" even if app is not open. the notification is always on.

I mean, even with 4 opens in 12 hrs, there should not be 3% drain, no?
Yes, this is normal, and you'll see it say "disconnected" too (eventually).

Make sure Sentry mode is switched off and don't go into the app and you'll notice it won't drain as much as your reporting. I wouldn't fret about it too much. Can I also check you haven't logged in to any other apps that might wake the car up to retrieve any information from it?

A side note, the cars bms also can change the % depending on various factors too.

Reactions: Adopado
That's not strictly true. Some apps use the streaming API and only read what is streamed. They don't connect to the car at all and therefore can't wake it up. The occasional waking you see is most likely the car checking on the 12v battery.