Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 owner interview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a M3 at a supercharger over the weekend. The owners let me poke my head in, it looked very sparse, I thought it was pretty neat. The screen looked good, I wasn't sure how I'd like it vs the integrated MS, but it is fine. The woodgrain, however, seemed quite cheap to me. I didn't touch it and really only glanced, but that was the one think I didn't like very much. I'm not a big fan of woodgrain in cars anyway, though.

Reactions: IdaX
I saw a M3 at a supercharger over the weekend. The owners let me poke my head in, it looked very sparse, I thought it was pretty neat. The screen looked good, I wasn't sure how I'd like it vs the integrated MS, but it is fine. The woodgrain, however, seemed quite cheap to me. I didn't touch it and really only glanced, but that was the one think I didn't like very much. I'm not a big fan of woodgrain in cars anyway, though.
whoa whoa whoa you are not allowed to render judgement until you drive it.

whoa whoa whoa you are not allowed to render judgement until you drive it.

In one paragraph he made three comments without even riding in one:

- it <interior> looked very sparse, I thought it was pretty neat
- The screen looked good
- The woodgrain, however, seemed quite cheap to me

These observations, even without riding in one. Thats pretty good considering all he could do was peep in through the window for a minute or two.

Your investor friend though, I believe either rode in one and also perhaps drove one maybe? and all he could comment was 'panels didn't fit perfectly' ? This knowing very well that his comments will be picked my the media. You see, the bias there ?

In one paragraph he made three comments without even riding in one:

- it <interior> looked very sparse, I thought it was pretty neat
- The screen looked good
- The woodgrain, however, seemed quite cheap to me

These observations, even without riding in one. Thats pretty good considering all he could do was peep in through the window for a minute or two.

Your investor friend though, I believe either rode in one and also perhaps drove one maybe? and all he could comment was 'panels didn't fit perfectly' ? This knowing very well that his comments will be picked my the media. You see, the bias there ?

Ah I didn't know you were there for the investor reveal and knew what happened. I apologize.

That's done so the window properly closes vertically into the rubber weather-stripping/weather seal for a water-tight fit. If the window was fully closed and you just closed the door, the only force against the seal would be the horizontal force holding the door itself closed. Frame-less doors/windows have been doing this for a while now (in nicer cars, that is). Also, sometimes it's maybe 1/8" travel and hardly noticeable.
Yes, it is kind of weird looking that is drops down so far. I've had 3 Audis with frameless windows on the doors and the window drops down maybe 1/2" (~12mm for you metric people :D), probably less. On the 3, it looks like at least 2" (~50mm) or more. I don't believe the S or X currently drop down that much.

So, how does this video get deleted, but Doug's is still up?
YouTube vlogger Alex @ E for Electric said he put up two video reviews of the TM3 after seeing them in person. He received an anonymous complaint to YouTube, even though they were positive reviews, so he decided to take both of them down. It was his decision and not influenced by anyone. He said he just didn't feel good about reviewing a car, and receiving a complaint, that hasn't been released to the public yet. He said that improvements to the car are being made with each new software update and each new batch of releases. You can either agree with him or not, but I understand his point. He did make a general comment, the car is fabulous and a game changer.

Some vloggers take a more aggressive approach to their video reviews and are willing to risk any repercussions by leaving them up. Alex did say that he and everyone else knows the VIN of the TM3 reviewed by M3OC. He said, he personally, would not want to jeopardize the employment at Tesla of a TM3 owner who allowed the use of their car for an unauthorized video. EM has given employees first opportunity to purchase these cars (and the $7,500 tax credit) for cars that are still under development and maybe not ready for prime time. I can understand EM's point of view, he would rather have the cars reviewed by professionals rather than sometimes unprofessional YouTube vloggers. The video review by Joe at OCD was particularly cringe-worthy. He didn't know the first thing how to operate the car, he stated some things that were simply not true, and he made assumptions with no basis in fact.

The only review that matters to me, is the review that I give my car when I receive it and I will not be making a video.