Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
partially glad i got my 70 plate LR ... not quite keen on the 'de-chromed' look - I love the way the handles and glass surrounds stand out on my blue M3. I've seen a fully wrapped M3 black matte with no chrome and it was ... plain and a bit dull really IMO. I suppose i've got 3 years to like the black before I order my Y lol!
I can see some future chrome / dechrome swap meetups between disaffected owners from both sides of the divide.
Someone should do an app. We could call it "Chromer"
"Classic Chrome M3 seeks younger dechromed M3 in local area for meet up and exchange of bodily parts"
:D

Just watched it but it doesn’t start until 2021? If anyone has ordered in the last 2 months surely it will be the current model

Tesla don't align changes in a traditional model/year approach - traditionally it (VIN numbering) coincided with year of manufacturer although last year it did seem to change as a model year indicator even though changes were relatively minor. Last years model year change did not coincide with calendar year.

Tesla concentrate more on continuous changes throughout the year so you can get changes at any time throughout. One of note this year was Model 3 changes to USB and phone charging arrangement. I think battery on Model S and X was another. We have already seen changes to the front boot enclosure of Model 3, but seemingly little of substance changed under the covers.

So each batch run can be a different model and cars with at least some updates seem to be shipping now.

Last edited:
Reactions: akenham
I can see some future chrome / dechrome swap meetups between disaffected owners from both sides of the divide.
Someone should do an app. We could call it "Chromer"
"Classic Chrome M3 seeks younger dechromed M3 in local area for meet up and exchange of bodily parts"
:D
That'd be some task swapping handles etc lol. Also 1 window trim had a hairline scratch at delivery on mine and when I went to have it changed they told me they had to cut the trim and glass out and it was possible the glass could crack but they had replacement in stock! I'd had the car ceramic coated so I told them not to bother in the end, it'll have more marks on it now anyway.

The window trims look easy enough to remove going by YouTube videos, apart from the angled trim around the small rear window which is apparently more work to remove than it's worth. The mirrors don't look too bad to do either, bit of work removing the door cards etc but fairly straightforward.

Tesla don't align changes in a traditional model/year approach - traditionally it (VIN numbering) coincided with year of manufacturer although last year it did seem to change as a model year indicator even though changes were relatively minor. Last years model year change did not coincide with calendar year.

Tesla concentrate more on continuous changes throughout the year so you can get changes at any time throughout. One of note this year was Model 3 changes to USB and phone charging arrangement. I think battery on Model S and X was another. We have already seen changes to the front boot enclosure of Model 3, but seemingly little of substance changed under the covers.

So each batch run can be a different model and cars with at least some updates seem to be shipping now.
Interesting stuff thanks.

Not too keen on the new console (especially after ordering a console wrap from abstract) but I would be happy with the powered boot!

Interesting stuff thanks.

Not too keen on the new console (especially after ordering a console wrap from abstract) but I would be happy with the powered boot!

It’s the images of those new wheels that concern me. I have a M3LR with 19” Sport wheels on order via a lease company and will be pretty peeved if it turns up having paid extra for what looks like hubcaps! I’m also not convinced about the chrome delete as I thought the chrome was a nice contrast against the blue.

Reactions: BushtrimmmerJr
I think de-chrome is a bit like Marmite, some love it, some hate it. I bought a second hand 325i years ago, that had been de-badged and de-chromed. First thing I did when I got it was restore all the chrome and refit the badges, as I didn't like the look at all. Not sure that the de-chromed look would be right on my black Model 3, either, TBH. As others have said, it's a look that might suit lighter colours best, perhaps.

I always associate chrome to luxury spec cars and black to sports spec cars, I would make chrome standard on SR + LR and black on Performance, it would be great if we had a choice but you can see Tesla's thinking of keeping the production line as simple as possible with the minimum amount of options. When you look at the amount of individual options available on a Porsche for example it must slow their production.

The window trims look easy enough to remove going by YouTube videos, apart from the angled trim around the small rear window which is apparently more work to remove than it's worth. The mirrors don't look too bad to do either, bit of work removing the door cards etc but fairly straightforward.
It was the little rear quarter trim that was marked on mine

I feel that aesthetically, trim looks best matched to the alloys - delete with darker wheels (18", aeros or 20") but chrome with silver alloys (19").

Also, as a vehicles' range & performance are affected by factors including overall weight, I suppose the extra materials for power trunk, glass & heat pump will slightly impact kWh usage & 0-60.

I always associate chrome to luxury spec cars and black to sports spec cars, I would make chrome standard on SR + LR and black on Performance, it would be great if we had a choice but you can see Tesla's thinking of keeping the production line as simple as possible with the minimum amount of options. When you look at the amount of individual options available on a Porsche for example it must slow their production.
Totally agree!!