Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New wheels too

FD37BFC8-E166-4C36-A196-C0C039DFE00F.jpeg

Out of interest, what is it about the auto-dim mirrors that people don't like?

Mine has them, and I can't say that they really seem to do much. They perhaps slightly reduce the glare from headlights from cars behind, but for the sort of night driving I do, that's mainly rural roads, that's not really a major benefit (although I can see it may be for some). I have an awkward reverse into our drive, up a steep slope with a 90° bend part way, and rely on the left hand mirror a lot to get around the curved bit. I did this coming back home in the dark on Friday night and didn't notice any problem with visibility from the mirrors. The auto downward tilt in reverse makes a world of difference, and I'm sure it's stopped me kerbing the wheels on the bend. In other cars I'd got into the habit of manually flipping the near side mirror down whenever reversing at home, nice to have the car do it automatically.

Reactions: Neilio
I think the issue people have with the auto dimming mirrors is not so much the concept of them, but Tesla's execution of it. I've heard that it is not as reactive as other marques, etc.. but to be honest I've not seen it in person. I'm assuming it's one of those "we know the best way to do automatic wipers and cruise control it's different from every other car manufacturer in existence" things.

Then again a few posts I've seen complaining about them the author says "oh yeah I have got 35% tints" or something, which is hardly Tesla's fault.

If it were available as a retrofit I'd probably do it.

TBH, I'd not even noticed that the car had auto-dimming mirrors until someone pointed out that they'd stopped fitting them earlier this year. I checked and found my car had them, and only then noticed the effect, as it doesn't seem that pronounced.

• Funny
Reactions: navt
I have them and think they just stay dimmed between certain times. I have to say I like them and have never thought that they were too dim at night when not being dazzled by lights behind but have noticed they have stopped glare when dazzled from behind. I have to notice it was only when I seen it mentioned on here that they don't dim when needed like my previous cars and I'd say the fact that I hadn't noticed says it's not an issue for me! And before anyone says I don't use my mirrors yes I do, probably too much, but I've always been able to see fine with them.

I've bought some aftermarket mirror glass from Hansshow.

It's a wide angled lens with an antiglare film.

If it ever arrives I'll do a write up, maybe be an option for those that feel they're missing the self dimming function.

Reactions: Durzel
Need to sack the stylists at Tesla, if you are having chrome delete then you dont put chrome wheels/wheeltrims on instead of the dark aeros, what they really need to do is have rear privacy glass as an option as I think most of us would prefer to have this factory fitted rather than film.

Purported pic of new centre console

https://twitter.com/jstesla/status/1314739304770412545?s=21

E0454E51-A1D9-4934-B4DF-79CD548F45E9.jpeg

middle bin now has sliding door? doesn’t look connected to phone tray any longer. phone tray seems to have no cover and fixed in place?

Not sure how that has impacted the location of the front USB ports.

I can’t be the only one that prefers the current design? The new one looks cheaper to me. I have a Matt finish on mine which looks great.